Zulu 3 issues

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by JohnS, Mar 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JohnS

JohnS Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    JohnS
    I just got a brand new Zulu 3 headset (traded in my Dave Clark’s for $250 discount). I was so excited to try out I headset with noise cancellation, Bluetooth, and the ATC recording/playback features.

Unfortunately, when I plugged my headset into the panel, I could hear ATC and myself for about five seconds, and then nothing. I tried wiggling the connector, pulling them out and putting them back in, and each time it would seem to revive for a few seconds and then die. I tried the input on the right seat, and had the same result.

So I had to resort to a crappy old pair that luckily were sitting in the plane. When I returned from my flight, I tried the headset in a few other planes, and it worked great.

So my question is, does anyone have any ideas as to why they wouldn’t work in this plane versus others? Or experienced similar issues with the headset seeming to work initially and then cutting out after about five seconds?

2. Van Johnston

Van Johnston Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Van Johnston
    No ideas, but now you’ve got me worried. I did the same deal, and mine just arrived in this afternoon’s mail. Have had it plugged into iPhone via adapter for about 30 min so far without issues. Hope to fly tomorrow.

Good luck on your problem.

3. 1SGBrokePilot

1SGBrokePilot Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    EnlistedPilot
    I have not had any issues with mine at all. Is there a chance the batteries that came with them are dead??

4. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    That would kill the ANR, but you'd still be able to hear ATC.

I would call Lightspeed... And before you do that, maybe check their web site for a FAQ, and RTFM too. But this doesn't sound normal to me.

jesse likes this.
  5. jesse

jesse Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jesse
    Check the manual and make sure your dip switches are in the right place. That’s about all I can think of.

6. Gregory Anderson

Gregory Anderson Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg
    I had a similar issue. It was a dip switch issue. You probably have a stereo audio panel and the dip switches are not set properly.

In my case, the headset worked great in a 172. However when I bought my mooney with a stereo audio panel, I could only get the headset to work if I had one of the plugs inserted to just the right point. Essentially, I was bypassing the stereo feed. My mechanic figured it out for me.

7. Topper

Topper Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Topper
    I used to have a 182. All my zulu’s Worked great but often times people in the right seat would have problems with their Bose. I assumed it was something in the jack.

I have Zulu 1’s, 3’s and two pfx’s with no problems

8. Peter Anderson

Peter Anderson Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    SVTPete83
    Try changing out the mono dip switch to stereo. I had the same problem when I went from the ghetto trainer 172 to a plane with a nice audio panel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro