Zero to 200 hours

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I passed 200 hours today in my own airplane on my first flight (in the new airplane) without my CFI riding along.

Just some stats on the journey:

First flight: 4/17/2012
Total hours: 200 (plus about 30 hours in Africa that I can't log)
Total cost $32,726 ($163.39/hr including dual time, check ride etc.).
Total landings: 453
Number of airports: 25
Number of states: 6
Number of countries: 1 (plus 5 in Africa that I can't log)
Number of airplanes: 18
Number of types: 10

The Africa stuff was with a friend who did not have a South African CFI... I was a student and we were in a South African registered airplane.

Looking forward to the next 200 hours. :)

I passed 200 hours today in my own airplane on my first flight (in the new airplane) without my CFI riding along.

Just some stats on the journey:

First flight: 4/17/2012
Total hours: 200 (plus about 30 hours in Africa that I can't log)
Total cost $32,726 ($163.39/hr including dual time, check ride etc.).
Total landings: 453
Number of airports: 25
Number of states: 6
Number of countries: 1 (plus 5 in Africa that I can't log)
Number of airplanes: 18
Number of types: 10

The Africa stuff was with a friend who did not have a South African CFI... I was a student and we were in a South African registered airplane.

Looking forward to the next 200 hours. :)

I'd double check the Africa stuff.

From a related link:

Yes, it counts: the FAA doesn't care where flying hours are accumulated provided that the US written and/or practical test requirements are met. I learned to fly in South Africa then applied for an unrestricted FAA license (i.e. not a foreign based license). The FSDO told me that I could count all my time in SA (cross-countries, night flights etc.) towards the FAA license requirements, but I would still have to pass the FAA written and practical tests like any other student pilot.

http://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...-be-applied-towards-an-faa-certificate-or-rat

As far as I understand, the FAA cares about it's regulations. Not other countries. If it would of counted here, it counts there.

It would not have counted here because the PIC did not have a CFI - even though he has an ATP and flies Boeing 777s for a living)

I would enter it in my log book . It certainly was educational and gave you good experience! Also the ratings of the fellow I was with. Sounds like a great trip!

It would not have counted here because the PIC did not have a CFI - even though he has an ATP and flies Boeing 777s for a living)

All of your Africa flying came before you had your PPL?

All of your Africa flying came before you had your PPL?

Yup. When I went to Africa, I did not have a medical yet. I had 3.5 hours and 11 landings.

I would enter it in my log book . It certainly was educational and gave you good experience! Also the ratings of the fellow I was with. Sounds like a great trip!

I have it in a separate sheet in the back of my logbook. I learned a lot about good operations and radio work from flying with a 777 Captain.

I'd wager, C206, 210, 208, GA8

I'd wager, C206, 210, 208, GA8

I saw more 182s and Caravans that I had ever seen. And at Maun, Botswana, more GA airplanes in one place than anywhere else I have ever been.

Last edited:
So, is that all rental rates then? Except for your latest hours in your plane. Do you expect the price/hour to drop now?

So, is that all rental rates then? Except for your latest hours in your plane. Do you expect the price/hour to drop now?

I expect the hourly cost to go way down. My fixed costs are about $800/mo which includes hangar, insurance, state property tax, and a basic annual. The hourly cost to fly it is then about $110 which includes a fund for the prop and engine.

The more hours you fly the lower the hourly cost. So that can be a good base line or not. What is you total costs for the year.

I am budgeting about $2k/ mo which is fixed costs plus 12 hours flying... Give or take.

Yup. When I went to Africa, I did not have a medical yet. I had 3.5 hours and 11 landings.

I have it in a separate sheet in the back of my logbook. I learned a lot about good operations and radio work from flying with a 777 Captain.

Really ???? I get ZERO respect on this board. Your guy must be a former astronaut or something.

I just hit 200 hours, I don't have the $ numbers, but other stats were;

First flight: 7/10/2013
Total hours: 213,6 (plus about 20 hours in Europe in their Ultralight-B class that I can't log because I lost the logbooks :)
Total landings: 331
Number of airports: 57
Number of states: 13
Number of countries: 11
Number of airplanes: 23
Number of types: 9

Over 50% of flying has been XC.

Haven't been to Oshkosh for AirVenture then?:lol:

I was there when I was 7 or 8 but barely remember it.

In 2014, Maun, Bostwana handled 234,896 people... almost all of them by GA. It's the gateway to the Okavango Delta so during the tourist season is very busy indeed as most of that traffic is packed into a few months.

Back