Zaon Collision Avoidance

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Thinking of buying a Zaon Collision Avoidance system. Just how well does the system work good and bad of the unit?

In my "Day Job" I fly TCAS equipped aircraft and of course the Zaon was not up to that level but still I must say I was impressed with it just the same. A friend of mine has one in his LSA and I was impressed enough with the unit that I've decided to get one myself.

Can the Zaon information can be routed to and displayed on a 496?

I output mne to my Garmn 796. It is not perfect but works really well.

I borrowed one for my trip to Alaska. It seemed to work okay. It warned me of traffic a couple of times in the I90 corridor.

For half the price you can get weather and traffic with the Garmin GDL-39.

José

I have used mine for about 3 years. It defiantly works good enough I would make the same purchase, again. The biggest down fall is with only a 6 mile range, the closure rate can be rather short. The biggest advantage for me is when under the selves of class B. It helps me spot traffic that the controllers are to busy to worry about (not a factor at that time). It isn't by any means reliable enough to rely on, just another tool to add to the box.

For half the price you can get weather and traffic with the Garmin GDL-39.

José

An ADS-B in-only device will not give you usable traffic. I have a Zaon to supplement my mode S TIS system.

Back