Youtube: 182RG gear up landing

That's a great video.

I was on a flight with my wife. The gear light stopped working. Understandably she was concerned about the landing. Afterward (it turned out to be wiring issue related to the light, not the gear), I thought it would be a good idea to have her see this video as an example of what a non-event a gear-up is.

btw, the more I watch it the more convinced I become that the gear-up was intentional, at least in the sense that the gear was faulty and the pilot knew he was going in gear up.

btw, the more I watch it the more convinced I become that the gear-up was intentional, at least in the sense that the gear was faulty and the pilot knew he was going in gear up.

Nope...read the poster's comments on YouTube; it was a boo-boo. And the pilot shakes his head and slaps the glareshield several times as they skid to a stop... he was surprised. Unpleasantly surprised. :D

That's complacency for you- everything seems normal until... :yikes:

They were just gabbing away in the cockpit on base. He was too high, and too distracted.

Nope...read the poster's comments on YouTube; it was a boo-boo. And the pilot shakes his head and slaps the glareshield several times as they skid to a stop... he was surprised. Unpleasantly surprised. :D

That's complacency for you- everything seems normal until... :yikes:
So what was the beeping that is heard in the background?

So what was the beeping that is heard in the background?
Again, that's the amazing power of complacency... not the first time a pilot has ignored a warning sound or light. To be fair, unless the tone is heard on the intercom, he wouldn't hear it very clearly.
But there should also be a gear indicator light on the panel, and, well, there's the checklist...:D

Personally I love the fact that the guy taping this, films the non extended landing gear just be fore touchdown :)

Back