You're grounded!

Dart

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iM a grandpa
When I finally heard my AME say those words I hadn't expected it to feel so...harsh.

I has been a challenging year for my family health-wise. Not to mention the strain as our eldest and his wife prepared for, and took off to, S. Korea for a year.

After my mom's quadruple by-pass this March I figured it was time to do something about my own upward creeping blood pressure (I have an extensive family history of cardiovascular disease). My low number had crept into the low hundreds so I went to my AME, figuring my medical is due in November and I might as well get the paperwork started.

The night before we had a "going away" dinner at one of Alan's favs - Texas de Brazil. We had great laughs at the thought of going to see the Doc after a night of 14 kinds of meat (four of which are wrapped in bacon).

The Doc puts me on the "baby" prescription and takes blood and for three weeks I wait for the blood work to finish so I can get a "real" prescription. When the nurse calls she tells me it's time for my next appointment. I say "All that pill did was make me thirsty and pee a lot!" She says, "that's because you are diabetic" "NO WAY!!" I say. No one in either side of the family has ever had diabetes, no one. I overweight but I'm far from "fat", I'm not exactly a sedentary office chair warmer and couch potato, I feel great! Just a little over a year earlier I had passed my medical diabetes urine screen.

The next day the Doc confirmed it, he had seen my high glucose, wacky lipid panel and had called the lab to add a hemoglobin A1c. Yep, I am hyper hyperglycemic. Asymptomatic until the two weeks ago. Legal to fly two days ago , now a grounded Type II diabetic. Thanks to the Lord for moving me to get to the Doc even though I could have skated for another half a year.

We caught it early and I have a good chance at beating it with diet and exercise... But, it sure hurt to hear "You're grounded." Since I fly for fun it won't really affect my frequency of flight that much. It may even improve it. Since I can not fly PIC I might as well finish my complex endorsement and get some more aerobatic time.

But, geeez, it hurt. It hit home that, once again, my government has taken another freedom from me (at least for a time if not forever). I have lost a truly rare and wonderful privilege.

Last edited:
Good luck, Dart.... Glad you caught it this way, rather than a worse way.

Aww Dart, that really sucks. Good luck taking care of yourself and getting back in the air. :cheerswine:

-Rich

When I finally heard my AME say those words I hadn't expected it to feel so...harsh.

The Doc puts me on the "baby" prescription and takes blood and for three weeks I wait for the blood work to finish so I can get a "real" prescription. When the nurse calls she tells me it's time for my next appointment. I say "All that pill did was make me thirsty and pee a lot!" She says, "that's because you are diabetic" "NO WAY!!" I say. No one in either side of the family has ever had diabetes, no one. I overweight but I'm far from "fat", I'm not exactly a sedentary office chair warmer and couch potato, I feel great! Just a little over a year earlier I had passed my medical diabetes urine screen.

The next day the Doc confirmed it, he had seen my high glucose, wacky lipid panel and had called the lab to add a hemoglobin A1c. Yep, I am hyper hyperglycemic. Asymptomatic until the two weeks ago. Legal to fly two days ago , now a grounded Type II diabetic. Thanks to the Lord for moving me to get to the Doc even though I could have skated for another half a year.

We caught it early and I have a good chance at beating it with diet and exercise... But, it sure hurt to hear "You're grounded." Since I fly for fun it won't really affect my frequency of flight that much. It may even improve it. Since I can not fly PIC I might as well finish my complex endorsement and get some more aerobatic time.

But, geeez, it hurt. It hit home that, once again, my government has taken another freedom from me (at least for a time if not forever). I have lost a truly rare and wonderful privilege.
Dart, you can get it back after a period of stability (60 days) if you can be controlled just by the oral agents (can you say as short as 60 days?).

But, DON'T apply for anything until your ducks are lined up. And if your AME hasn't done one of these before do NOT go back there (at least for an 8500-8).

Last edited:
Damn that sucks, Dart. But you still have the freedom to be a passenger in a plane. And of course being a pilot is a privilege not a freedom but you knew that.

Bruce, if someone has really high A1c levels, would your recommend trying the oral meds FIRST to get things under control, and then switching to diet-based control later?

I was once told I was medically grounded -- permanently and irrevocably. It took time, but it got fixed. Type II diabetes isn't the aeronautical death sentence it was when I started flying, and as Bruce said, you can beat it in a matter of months. Eat healthy, exercise, and get your newly-toned butt back in the cockpit.

Dart, you can get it back after a period of stability (60 days) if you can be controlled just by the oral agents (can you say as short as 60 days?).

But, DON'T apply for anything until your ducks are lined up. And if your AME hasn't done one of these before do NOT go back there (at least for an 8500-8).

That is pretty much the prognosis my AME gave. So far were looking at oral meds only. I'm not a big sweets fan and only about 20 pounds overweight so I'll be ramping up the activity and cutting back on the carbs. I've always liked resistance training so toning up wont be such an ordeal.

My AME has lost his medical but remains very active in aviation. Like he says "I just make sure I'm with a legal PIC." He has always impressed me with his pragmatism, this guy is a problem solver - not a touchy-feely Chatty-Cathy.

I realize I will be able to fly in the future. It was just stunning to be told I couldn't.. I know several POA'ers are or have been in the same boat. I've had my little "pity party". Now it is onward and upward.

Thanks to all for your support, I mean that! You don't realize what a special group of people aviators are until they kick you out!!! ;)

I'll stop flying when they pull my old, arthritic fingers of the yoke :mad: Or (more likely) when the money runs out. Which ever comes first. :dunno:

There is a diabetic professional aerobatics pilot at my airstrip, it is most possible to get your medical back, keep the faith! I'll be sending you my best wishes that you will overcome this little but seemingly daunting hurdle!

I has been a challenging year for my family health-wise. Not to mention the strain as our eldest and his wife prepared for, and took off to, S. Korea for a year.

After my mom's quadruple by-pass this March I figured it was time to do something about my own upward creeping blood pressure (I have an extensive family history of cardiovascular disease). My low number had crept into the low hundreds so I went to my AME, figuring my medical is due in November and I might as well get the paperwork started.

The night before we had a "going away" dinner at one of Alan's favs - Texas de Brazil. We had great laughs at the thought of going to see the Doc after a night of 14 kinds of meat (four of which are wrapped in bacon).

So sorry. Good luck.

Bruce, if someone has really high A1c levels, would your recommend trying the oral meds FIRST to get things under control, and then switching to diet-based control later?
Yes, unless we're talking random glucoses of 450 and HbA1c's of ten. Then we start insulin.

Dart, sorry to hear that. The good news is, you could have your medical back faster than me. I've got to wait at least 180 days after the surgery. I'm going to beat my problem, you go beat yours! :yes:

Back