Your thoughts on my last compression test

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
To make a long story short, an accident at work last October damaged my right eye and I have not flown since the accident. Flew about 45 hours last year.

I have been working on the Sport changing shock discs for landing gear. Next thing on the list was the annual inspection.

I did a compression test (cold), #1 78, #2 76, #3 60, #4 40. Compression test last year was #1 78, #2 76, #3 75, #4 70. I'm going to do a run up and check compression warm. CHT's flying last year were fairly constant with #4 always being a little lower than the other 3, engine is O-320. TSMO on engine is 1240 hours. I will borescope #3 and #4 before the run up and compression test.

Any thoughts about the recent compression test?

Ideally, do a flight to get the engine warm, lean during the flight, then do the compression check.

Where is the air coming out?

I wouldn't worry about the recent test. Run the engine or better yet fly it for a few hours and check it again. They'll probably be back up to normal.

I agree with the others ... take it up and thrash it just a little. It will "go" or "blow!"

OK ... don't thrash it quite that hard!

It's just telling you it wants to be flown!

If it was me I wouldn't waste time on a borescope. Clean and regap the plugs while they are out, find a friend who will fly it for you, do a good runup and if all indications are normal take it up and run it LOP at a decent power setting. Then after you land (and it cools down enough to get the plugs out) do another compression check.

To make a long story short, an accident at work last October damaged my right eye and I have not flown since the accident. Flew about 45 hours last year.

I have been working on the Sport changing shock discs for landing gear. Next thing on the list was the annual inspection.

I did a compression test (cold), #1 78, #2 76, #3 60, #4 40. Compression test last year was #1 78, #2 76, #3 75, #4 70. I'm going to do a run up and check compression warm. CHT's flying last year were fairly constant with #4 always being a little lower than the other 3, engine is O-320. TSMO on engine is 1240 hours. I will borescope #3 and #4 before the run up and compression test.

Any thoughts about the recent compression test?
I would do the borescope, look at the valve's to see if they are seating, especially the exhaust. If there was.any rust on the cylinder walls rotating the engine took care.of that but still look. Being the rear 2 cylinder's and the time.on them (assuming they haven't been off) they may be worn a little more than the front's. Lycoming camshafts don't do well just sitting, use Camguard in it.

Where is the air coming out?
Not sure yet I had no one around to listen for leaks
I wouldn't worry about the recent test. Run the engine or better yet fly it for a few hours and check it again. They'll probably be back up to normal.
I would love to fly it. Maybe I can get a CFI to fly with me, I need a new medical evaluation to fly mono vision.

Not sure yet I had no one around to listen for leaks
I would love to fly it. Maybe I can get a CFI to fly with me, I need a new medical evaluation to fly mono vision.

Do you need a class three? Go basic med? Not saying you shouldn't fly with a CFI to get used to the monovision.

Get it flown and check it again. That sudden drop is likely to some corrosion that formed on the valve faces, and maybe the rings are sticking a little. Running it will clean it up.

Back