Your Second Most Expensive Hobby

Yeah, I'd say guitars too now. Used to be tools, wood working mostly, but I can see guitars increasing as I learn more. Already plan on a nice acoustic and/or a Les Paul to reward myself when I get there. :D
Oh, I've had some beauties. There are some amazing guitars out there. I got into custom builders as well as just being a revolving door for this month's "most awesome guitar that I must own!" Lol

Oh, I've had some beauties. There are some amazing guitars out there. I got into custom builders as well as just being a revolving door for this month's "most awesome guitar that I must own!" Lol

Yup, I get emails from custom guitar makers all the time. Beautiful instruments but very expensive.

Last edited:

Or you find a really good guitar inlay guy to build your rifle stocks :)

image.jpg

Are you strictly a 2-wheel recumbent guy? I picked up a Catrike Trail last spring and had a blast riding it all year. I can see how it could get expensive if you get more than one, but at least for now it's a pretty inexpensive hobby for me.

Photography is my most expensive hobby at the moment. Lenses and lighting add up quickly.

My other expensive hobby is RC car racing. I always feel like I have to put a qualifier on this one when I mention it to people. It's probably not what you're thinking. These little cars are fast and infinitely adjustable. You name it, you can adjust it. Camber, Toe, Caster, Tires, Ride-Height, Motors, Batteries, Weight Distribution, Spring Rates, Damping, Roll-Center, Droop, Gearing and the list goes on. Below is a youtube video from the world championships a few years ago.

Lol those rc cars are insane...so fast

IMG_3045.jpg There are some common themes here, but I'm a little surprised there aren't more of us blowing whatever is left on cars. I've spent all together too much time and money getting this 968 the way I wanted it.

My #2 is Saltwater fish. Currently have 3 tanks going with a total of around 500 gallons of salt water.

This hobby also has the equivalent of AMU pricing. When I bought the first tank I was very concerned with the price of the glass box and the living things that went in it. What I was missing was all the extra equipment that is need to keep these guys healthy.

Lights run into the thousands, for each tank. My water processing station in the basement to make sure the water out of the pipes is clean enough to add salt and use in the tanks was another thousand. The smaller pumps inside the tanks to give enough flow, and vary that flow to match tidal forces in the ocean are that much more. And then all the small things like bio-reactors, carbon and GFO reactors, skimmers, and everything else is a few more AMU. Finally there is the heartbreak and costs associated with something going wrong and having some of the stock die. Some of the fish run into a few hundred dollars per, and coral costs are based on rarity and size of the animal when you buy it.

I will not say I could own my plane for what I have invested in salt water, but I could at least afford a partnership in a decent 4 seater.

In fact if I gave up the tanks, sold off my guns, and liquidated the three motorcycles in the garage I probably really could afford a Skyhawk or older Cirrus and be an owner instead of a renter... something to think about I guess.

My #2 is Saltwater fish. Currently have 3 tanks going with a total of around 500 gallons of salt water.

A former co-worker is into that stuff. I don't even want to think about how much $ he's spent.

https://m.youtube.com/user/adampowers23

His large tank breaking the bottom out at 3AM earlier this year was caught on camera. Analysis later proved the single catfish in the tank burrowed into rocks and started a rockslide that hit the bottom glass and shattered it. Ironically all fish were amazingly saved by tossing them all into buckets except... the catfish.

He was luckily in the process of hand building a new larger tank and the fish were transferred to the massive filtering system tanks temporarily until it could be completed.

We had salt tanks for a few years, we loved the ugly fish, puffers, eels etc. It was very expensive back in the early 90's, I don't imagine it has gotten any cheaper, but I love the look of a nice tank! :D

This hobby also has the equivalent of AMU pricing. When I bought the first tank I was very concerned with the price of the glass box and the living things that went in it. What I was missing was all the extra equipment that is need to keep these guys healthy.

Lights run into the thousands, for each tank. My water processing station in the basement to make sure the water out of the pipes is clean enough to add salt and use in the tanks was another thousand. The smaller pumps inside the tanks to give enough flow, and vary that flow to match tidal forces in the ocean are that much more. And then all the small things like bio-reactors, carbon and GFO reactors, skimmers, and everything else is a few more AMU. Finally there is the heartbreak and costs associated with something going wrong and having some of the stock die. Some of the fish run into a few hundred dollars per, and coral costs are based on rarity and size of the animal when you buy it.

I will not say I could own my plane for what I have invested in salt water, but I could at least afford a partnership in a decent 4 seater.

In fact if I gave up the tanks, sold off my guns, and liquidated the three motorcycles in the garage I probably really could afford a Skyhawk or older Cirrus and be an owner instead of a renter... something to think about I guess.

Back