Your Second Most Expensive Hobby

[QUOTE="Timbeck2, post: 2206545, member: 26872" I'm also a professional woodworker (giggity) with as much, if not more, tied up in machines and tools than I have in an airplane. I build anything from military style shadow boxes to furniture to kitchen cabinets.[/QUOTE]
Nice...

My other hobby is Corvettes and particularly vintage Corvettes and restoration. And you think airplane parts are expensive! I haven't been as active over the past few years as flying has been consuming my disposable income and time.
Cool. I have a hankering for an early C3. Maybe this year...

What can I say: we spend time in it.
red rock country
@ Daughter's house

Attachments

• P1010498.JPG
    P1010498.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN4073.JPG
    DSCN4073.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN4075.JPG
    DSCN4075.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN3866.JPG
    DSCN3866.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Cave diving...

Not my picture, but a nice one:
197568-1911820196408-791304-n.jpg

Photography! Equipment gets expensive!

That's weird...I thought Jeremiah Weed was dirt cheap.
It is when you can find it!

Patches, lithos, t-shirts, mugs etc that everyone wants you to give them all end up coming out of your paycheck as well as a bottle to the bar for just about anything: upgrade, downgrade, new job, over-G, kid on the way, first time doing anything new, etc. Anytime the "wing" feels that we need to do something for someone (many times its a good idea) they just charge the pilot group. Every TDY the pilots pay for a big party at the end for all our mx dudes (another really good idea that I'm glad we do). Sitting alert there's a fee everyday, there's a landing fee and departure fee for every trip and every move. There are monthly dues to the squadron snacko fund, drives for different (and nearly always very worthy) causes that we are expected to participate in. There may be this type of stuff in other jobs too - there's weren't at the airline which is about the only other "real" job I've had since college. For us, there's no one thing that makes it expensive, it's just a lot of stuff that all adds up over time and it's constant.

But, yes - it's worth it.

I am building a plane. That is my main hobby I suppose but then there is myb1945 willys mb, hunting and fly fishing. I had to give up my dirt bikes, golf and loose women but I make up for it with all the other fun stuff.

second most expensive hobby...well being single its probably the local ballet if you catch my drift....just kidding...or am...., probably guns and shooting, ammo isn't so cheap!

I own (if I'm counting them all) at least 10 bicycles of various types, mostly recumbents.

Are you strictly a 2-wheel recumbent guy? I picked up a Catrike Trail last spring and had a blast riding it all year. I can see how it could get expensive if you get more than one, but at least for now it's a pretty inexpensive hobby for me.

Photography is my most expensive hobby at the moment. Lenses and lighting add up quickly.

My other expensive hobby is RC car racing. I always feel like I have to put a qualifier on this one when I mention it to people. It's probably not what you're thinking. These little cars are fast and infinitely adjustable. You name it, you can adjust it. Camber, Toe, Caster, Tires, Ride-Height, Motors, Batteries, Weight Distribution, Spring Rates, Damping, Roll-Center, Droop, Gearing and the list goes on. Below is a youtube video from the world championships a few years ago.

Too many hobbies... In order of priority, they'd probably be planes, cars, guns, photography for the ones that include hardware but also spend a lot of time and $ eating out, drinking/socializing and traveling (very much related to flying though since I abhor the airlines).
PLANE+ALLCARS_MurphyRP.jpg

Reading your post sounded like I might have written it. :)
I attribute it to more than something in the blood, I think its a genetic defect, unique to many young girls and women, something in the DNA.
If I had known about this when I was a teenager with hormones, I might have hung around stables given the M/F ratio. But now I realise that would have been futile - boys have no hope of competing for attention against the horses.
Around my place with every new horse I move one more slot down the food chain in the family. I tell everyone when I die I want to come back as one of Mrs. GRG55's horses - they get treated better. :D
Ha!!! :D I totally relate to and agree with everything you said!!!!! That sounds just like my wife. She spends hours riding and grooming the horses. She treats them way better than me. I work a 12 hour day and come home tired and hungry to an empty kitchen. I'm killin' myself working to pay for everything while she's home hobby horsin' around during the day. What's wrong with this picture?

Ha!!! :D I totally relate to and agree with everything you said!!!!! That sounds just like my wife. She spends hours riding and grooming the horses. She treats them way better than me. I work a 12 hour day and come home tired and hungry to an empty kitchen. I'm killin' myself working to pay for everything while she's home hobby horsin' around during the day. What's wrong with this picture?

I think you know.

Flying probably *is* my second most expensive hobby, right behind investing. I'm pretty sure I've lost a Cessna or Piper sized pile of money some years.

What is this elusive creature y'all be talking about "Hobbies". For the past 1.5 years, I've been a full time Army guy with a consulting business on the side. My "hobbies" included things like driving from one work to the other, sleep, showering, spending time with my kids, etc. As luck would have it, I went from Two jobs to zero jobs last Friday!!! I also have my official retirement date in april 2017!!!!

Are you strictly a 2-wheel recumbent guy? I picked up a Catrike Trail last spring and had a blast riding it all year. I can see how it could get expensive if you get more than one, but at least for now it's a pretty inexpensive hobby for me.

Mostly -2-wheels, but I have a TerraTrike Tandem and recently finished building an aluminum FAW+ velomobile kit. All that riveting and aluminum has me thinking about an airplane next.

Thank you. Now I'm looking for a job after the military. It's an exciting time, but, at the same time scary.

Did you fly in the Army? Looking for a flying job if you are a Commercial pilot?

Did you fly in the Army? Looking for a flying job if you are a Commercial pilot?

I focus more on Medical Operations, either running the day to day operations or, like I did as a consultant, build numerous clinics to grow revenue for a hospital.

But, I'm open to anything actually! I enlisted at 17, E-1 and will Retire as a LTC, right now I'm trying to learn more about what's out there, versus focusing on one set industry.

I focus more on Medical Operations, either running the day to day operations or, like I did as a consultant, build numerous clinics to grow revenue for a hospital.

But, I'm open to anything actually! I enlisted at 17, E-1 and will Retire as a LTC, right now I'm trying to learn more about what's out there, versus focusing on one set industry.

You'll do well, plenty in the medical field out there. Good luck!

What is it? Flying is certainly my most expensive hobby, but recently my shooting hobby is certainly occupying the #2 spot.
Actually, farming is my most expensive hobby, followed by flying followed by amateur radio.

Oh, farming is a business? Yeah, they all say that. A business is supposed to make money. :)

Flying is a distant second behind what my wife costs me. Had I stayed single I'd be flying turboprops by now. :)
Amen brother, I was on the same boat...recently single and having no problem finding 60 hr for training budget, minimum 40 for dual instruction. Had looked into this before and couldn't find budget for 1/3 sports pilot training budget

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

whole lotta gun enthusiasts. I stumbled across this video, I think this guy would fit in quite well on this board.

There goes another $900 out of my pocket ...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You may laugh, but my latest hobby is Allen Edmonds shoes. Made in the USA. So, yeah, it's definitely the shoes. :cool:

View attachment 50567 View attachment 50568 View attachment 50569

Nice. They'd be totally trashed out here in the boonies in about a week of mud season, so I guess I'll stick to crappy shoes. Ha. Especially since I park outside in the dirt and she-who-has-the-shoe-collection parks in the garage. Haha.

whole lotta gun enthusiasts. I stumbled across this video, I think this guy would fit in quite well on this board.

Yankee Marshall used to be fun back when he started. He's ventured more into politics and also tries too hard anymore -- and forgot that most of us tuned in for his comedy.

He's still good but almost not good enough anymore to rate keeping the "Subscribe" button active on his channel. Maybe he'll get back to what got him the viewer base soon. Don't know.

His comedy is also probably what cost him getting good sponsorships like a lot of his peers that started around the same time as he did, have now. He may be trying to tone it down now hoping for sponsorships, but that just ruins it. He was funny because he was irreverent.

Even Karen used to watch his old stuff and laugh when I'd have the YouTube subscriptions up on the big TV to see what new content was up. But lately we both end up just watching a few minutes and moving on to someone else. And you had to actually watch, because the commentary in the continuous captions was always the funny part.

Still think him hollering, "You're not even my real dad!", as a tag line at the end of some of his videos, is hilarious and brilliant, though.

I also like that he's one of the rare Youtubers who doesn't suck up to his audience either. He tells them to go stuff it in ways that leaves everyone laughing.

Yeah, I'd say guitars too now. Used to be tools, wood working mostly, but I can see guitars increasing as I learn more. Already plan on a nice acoustic and/or a Les Paul to reward myself when I get there. :D

Would money spent on computer parts and simulator equipment count as flying?

Back