YOUR Preference?

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
High vs. Low Your opinion?

Do you prefer high wing or low wing aircraft and why? I have only flown The Cessna 152 high wing so I don't have no idea what low wing is like.

Last edited:
Low wing.

I've only flown a 152 once, I learned in a 172 (but also had 10+plus hours in the
warrior as a student). I did some of my instrument training in a 172, but most of it was in a cherokee 140. I've owned a cherokee 140 since 1994.

I find the cherokee 140, 180, warrior to be a more comfortable platform
for learning and flying IFR than the 172.

High wing....for a host of reasons:

1) Other than some rare older birds and the very new (read expensive) ones, most have one door.
2) When it is raining, or really hot, I have built in protection!
3) While one does lose the airport on turns, I have adjusted and simply prefer seeing the ground beneath me....heck that is half the reason I fly, for the view!

Low wings are my preference. I just like the way they fly better, plus they look cooler, and the high wings have crappy visibility in traffic patterns, where you lose the airport in turns. The visibility of the ground from the high wings only really helps if you want to do a photography mission.

Fly more planes, you'll find out which you prefer. I did my training in a 172, and now fly a Piper Archer. I'm glad I did my initial training in the 172, I think the Cessnas are sturdily-built planes that are great for training, especially landings. That said, I'm glad I fly a Piper now.

Re: High vs. Low Your opinion?

Do you prefer high wing or low wing aircraft and why?
I did my primary training in a 172 and a Warrior. The Warrior taught me something I was having big trouble with in the 172: just what it feels like to enter ground effect. I'd recommend getting time in both.

When I was selecting the aircraft I wanted to buy, I looked at both. I decided I wanted a low wing, because I'm not too interested in looking at the ground; I want to look at the sky.

I like them both.

High wings:
  • Protection from sun & rain. Good at airshows!
  • Better visibility of landmarks when flying XC. I recently flew a Cherokee to Denver & I noted I had only a short time to see landmarks on the right- they come from under the nose and then go right under the wing
  • Two doors (on the Cessnas at least)
  • Slightly easier to preflight except for fuel (less bending down under the plane)
  • No need to remember to switch tanks (on the ones I've flown)
  • Convenient place to hang scale for weighing bags (tiedown rings)
Low Wings
  • Slightly easier to enter/exit the plane
  • Easier to check fuel
  • Easier to see traffic in pattern (wings move out of way in turns- I still habitually lift a wing in the Cherokee before turning)
  • Easier to sightsee when circling object of interest (wing moves out of the way)
  • Easier to see stuff in the sky
Pretty near a tie in my mind!

As you can see from my avatar i'm a Lowwinger.
I did all my training in Grummans cause i was supposed to buy into a Mooney M20D (but it got sold before i finished). As far as Highwing planes i have 1 Hr. in 172 and 1 Hr. in a 150 areobat. I feel the lowwing is more stable to fly and i like that feeling. Only other highwing i was in was Greg's cessna 195 (Beautiful Plane) out at Gastons the other year.oh yes i also have a flight in Chip's Extra 300 ( i could scare myself if i owned one of these). I bought 85A to do Young Eagle Flights, and the kids love it but they would love any plane they get in. I now have 157 kids flown in 4 years. hope this answer your questions.
Dave G:blueplane:

I honestly don't care. Does it fly? Great.

I'd have to add it up, but I'm pretty sure that my flight time is almost exactly split 50/50 between high and low wings. I have somewhere around 580 hours right now - 290 would be half - And I know that as of October I had a hair over 200 hours in 182's, plus 42.6 in 172's working on my private, the majority of my time since October was in the 182, plus the few scattered flights in J-3/Super Cub/Husky/Citabria/etc. And I can thus say, with authority, that it really doesn't matter. Fly the plane that fits the mission, and wing position has nothing to do with that.

It seems most of the differences between high and low wings have nothing to do with the position of the wing. For example, I like the ground handling on an Archer better than that of a C172 or C182 but that's just how the system was built (rods vs. bungees), not anything to do with the wing. I've found that in general low wing aircraft are easier to land, but I didn't start flying because it was easy.

I tend to agree with Kent. I have over a hundred hours in each and each has it's ups and downs (no pun intended, or was it?).

For the price? I'd fly either one if available.

After flying a few high and low wingers I honestly don't much care which one. I find myself much more concerned about this particular plane has been maintained and how it handles than anything else.

I like Jack's list and would add the advantage that in a hanger you can use the space under the wings.

Joe

I've always thought it was a lot like Ford and Chevrolet preferences. It kinda boils down to what you like. For myself, and I'm not trying to stir anything up here, FOR MYSELF you couldn't run fast enough to GIVE me a Piper aircraft. Well, maybe a Comanche 250, but since it is extremely unlikely that anyone is going to give me one of those, it's a moot point. I've owned both high-wing and low-wing, often at the same time, and didn't even consider that as a factor when deciding what plane to use for a particular reason. Do what I'm thinking of doing: Get a biplane. That'll give you both.

Dun't matter to me.

I'm more worried about # of doors. I liked my Sundowner because it had 2 doors. I like my 182 because it has 2 doors. High wing keeps me out of the sun more, but is something for my wife to bang her head on, accidentally, repeatedly. :( Easier to fuel a low wing. Easier to sump a high wing.

Low wing airplanes seem to handle crosswinds better. I think this is due to the wing being in ground effect, somewhat canceling out the side force.

I would offer that control harmony is more a function of manufacturer/designer than wing position, and certain airplanes exhibit this wonderful balance of forces that makes flying far easier.

The only analogy that comes to mind is riding a horse -- when you and the horse work well together, you need only think "I want to go there" and the horse turns and off you go. I've only had one horse like that and she does not take well to rough handling (you'll be on your back before you knew you were bucked off).

But if you have soft hands and a good seat she will be like an extension of your own body -- letting you run at 40 MPH.

Depends on what you're looking for. Something on floats? DEFINITELY high-wing! :)

Depends on what you're looking for. Something on floats? DEFINITELY high-wing! :)

And less rocks and crud hitting your wings when landing somewhere besides pavement. :)

Otherwise, I love the visibility of the low wing.

I'm sure that there are dozens of participants on this board who, like me, have hundreds if not thousands of hours in both high and low wing airplanes and couldn't care less.

Bob Gardner

I think low wing airplanes look cooler, and feel more like being a "real pilot" (don't ask, its weird), but high wing airplanes do just fine. I have more time in PA28s then I do in 172s, but that was completely by choice, once I flew a Piper, I knew I was home.

But then after I sold her, I started flying 172s again. Give me a cheap plane, and I'll fly it.

I'm sure that there are dozens of participants on this board who, like me, have hundreds if not thousands of hours in both high and low wing airplanes and couldn't care less.

Bob Gardner

Yep.

If it flies, I'm game.

:frog:

(But I still think Bonanzas are the best mass-produced SEL ever to fly)

I prefer high wing airplanes when I want to look at the ground, or load the plane in the rain.

I prefer low wing airplanes when I want to go fast.

Most female passengers prefer the high-wings, in my experience, as they are easier to get in and out of, particularly in skirts.

Bob Gardner
You switch hitter!

:goofy:

One wonders.... is the plane in your sig a highwing or a lowwing? (F111, right?)
Actually, that's a good question for Kenny about his avatar!

It's a high-wing. No, wait, it's a low-wing. No, wait, it's a high-wing. No, wait, it's a low-wing. ...:D:goofy:

I prefer high wing airplanes when I want to look at the ground, or load the plane in the rain.

I prefer low wing airplanes when I want to go fast.

Most female passengers prefer the high-wings, in my experience, as they are easier to get in and out of, particularly in skirts.

Do you wear skirts?? :hairraise:

I prefer aircraft that by nature of their intended mission and various capabilities happen to be high-wing. How about that?

Pipers were MADE for skirts! Y'know, the pilot has to get in and sit down, and then the pilot's female companion has to climb down into the cockpit... :D

When in a low wing airplane I feel like I am riding on a bird. When in a high wing airplane I AM the bird. :)

One wonders.... is the plane in your sig a highwing or a lowwing? (F111, right?)

The one in my sig was definitely a high-wing (F-111A), but it belonged to Uncle Sam. He just let me use it to run errands for him. The one in the avatar is mine, though. Good ol' 56Q. We've been chasing around together for about 17 years.

Last edited:
When in a low wing airplane I feel like I am riding on a bird. When in a high wing airplane I AM the bird. :)

Thats a nice way to think of it, Nice quote I'm submitting it

I prefer low wing only because my wife thinks the Musketeer Im renting is much bigger than the Cessna 172 I use to Rent. This makes it more likely she will fly with me.

Back