Your plane is ruined cuz it ain’t flown it in ____ .

Your plane is ruined cuz it ain’t flown it in ____ .

• 1 week

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 month

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • 3 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 months

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • 1 year

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • 2 years

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • 5 years

• 10 years

• Total voters

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
I put this in hangar talk, because it’s only a semi-serious question/poll. Opinions don’t vary too much on this, I don’t think.

Forget the climate, and forget the manufacturers’ bulletins on storage, it’s a 100% opinion based poll based on what you believe about planes.

No arguing. Facts don’t matter, lol.

Pretend you’re looking at a log book of a plane you don’t know.

"flown" or "maintained." If it's been out of annual for 5 years means one thing. Never out of annual but near zero flight time for 5 years means another.

It depends.

This cylinder from a 152 that didn't fly for less than 11 months. But not assured.

Your call.

IMG_0173.jpg

Plane is ruined only when the cost of a full engine rebuild, interior and avionics complete replacement exceeds the value of the aircraft. I believe most airplanes at the Smithsonian could be put back in service if the need arose.

I can see a Hollywood movie in which the lone hero would borrow an SR-71 from the Smithsonian to save humanity.

7etFk9VeUYveOmwlP94Dtzl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9

Rusty and making metal.

One valve doesn't look too bad. The other one had a layer of rust on it.

Plane is ruined only when the cost of a full engine rebuild, interior and avionics complete replacement exceeds the value of the aircraft.

There goes every GA plane priced under, what, $90k?

Oopps.. forgot you wanted interior. $110k?

I can't give an answer because "ruined" isn't really defined.

ru·in
/ˈro͞oin/
verb
past tense: ruined; past participle: ruined
  1. reduce (a building or place) to a state of decay, collapse, or disintegration.
    "a ruined castle"
    synonyms: destroy, devastate, lay waste, ravage;
  2. LITERARY
    fall headlong or with a crash.
    "carriages go ruining over the brink from time to time"
  3. Any airplane or decision regarding an airplane that does not meet with overwhelming approval from PoA Members:
"Buying the Mooney has ruined his appreciation of Bonanzas. Fool."​

None of the above.

10 years is pushing it, but the 414 hadn't flown in 6 years or so when I purchased it, and hadn't flown 100 years this millennium. It wasn't ruined by any stretch, in fact I've seen actively flying planes in worse shape.

Cam hole was covered with rags, but I suspect looks similar. Maybe next week

None of the above for me also. "ain’t flown" alone ain't gonna ruin anything except your skills as a pilot. And they ain't ruined, just decayed.

It depends.

This cylinder from a 152 that didn't fly for less than 11 months. But not assured.

Your call.

View attachment 70408
Wings of Carolina plane?

As for the question, it’s a total crapshoot. My airplane sat for 17 years and has been fine. On the other hand I’ve known airplanes to sit less than a year and need a total engine rebuild.

Depends on the engine too. I know @hindsight2020 hates conti's but generally they do much better with corrosion and sitting for long periods. My plane hadn't flown more than 80 hours since 2000 and was pickled for 5 of those years. Borescope, compressions and oil analysis came back amazing (knock on wood) and everything is running great. The same can't be said for the avionics I bought... But I definitely wouldn't be scared off by lack of flying.

I flew a C-206 that sat upside down for two years on the tundra a few miles from the village formerly known as Barrow.

It had been rescued and rebuilt a few years before I flew it...

This is a 0-300-D cylinder that sat from 1980 to 2013, at AWO in a hangar less than 5 miles from the salt water. 99% of the rust wiped right out with a rag. it would have ran great, I didn't trust it.

Attachments

• DSCN3363.JPG
    DSCN3363.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN3364.JPG
    DSCN3364.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN3365.JPG
    DSCN3365.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 29
Back