Your perfect airplane that does not exist?

Gmonnig

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Grant
I'll start this off. I have an old plane and love it but also enjoy shopping (dreaming) of my next aircraft. I feel there are gaps in the market with lots of room for improvements. Taking price out of the equation, what is your realistic dream airplane (as in could be kit built or manufactured)?
Mine would be a highwing, twin engine turbocharged (Rotax 915 power), four seat plus bags, and de-iced. Possibly doing 180-185kts+ and 800NM range, easy to get in/out of. Think, mini Turbine Commander! Closest thing to my perfect plane would be the DA62 but lacks the highwing design and the 915s.

Mine would be a 2 seat high wing all metal airplane with vans RV price, ease of construction, and performance. Seems like all the high wing manufacturers are so busy chasing stol numbers they are overlooking what has made Vans so successful.

Mine would be a 2 seat high wing all metal airplane with vans RV price, ease of construction, and performance. Seems like all the high wing manufacturers are so busy chasing stol numbers they are overlooking what has made Vans so successful.
That’s another reason I thought of this post. Seems like there are a lot of people on VAF that would also like that plane. I would certainly be interested in a High wing RV, especially since the price would be substantially lower than the type of plane I suggested.

That’s another reason I thought of this post. Seems like there are a lot of people on VAF that would also like that plane. I would certainly be interested in a High wing RV, especially since the price would be substantially lower than the type of plane I suggested.
The Rans S21 is close to ideal but at a price that’s 10k higher than an RV8.

Pa28-140 fitted with the Rotax 915is
Isn’t that a very near possibility? I thought that was in the works over in Europe! What a great idea. Get a modern engine, great performance and probably a boost in useful load since the 915 weigh under 200lbs

I think this would be worth a look, if it ever comes to be:

MVP.Aero Most Versatile Plane
MVP.Aero turned many heads when first exhibiting its one-of-a-kind entry to Light-Sport Aircraft seaplanes. MVP, for Most Versatile Plane, justifies its namesake by doing more than flying off water.

The creators of MVP have so much in mind for this Light-Sport Aircraft that it takes a while to fully grasp the purpose, that of being a truly useful airplane. MVP doesn’t merely fly you to your lake destination; it cares for you after you arrive. You can even sleep onboard. Intrigued?

mvp-1.jpg

The emerging MVP looks to marry the missions of flying and boating. Toward that end, the pilot can fold the wings while on the water, greatly easing docking.
Some of what makes MVP unique are retracting components. Of course, its wheels get out of the way for water landings, but the canopy also retracts manually using a clever mechanically leveraged control. The canopy opens in front of the pusher engine, but does so in such a way that it doesn’t block engine operation or prop spinning. As a pilot taxies to a dock or prepares to beach, MVP offers wide-open visibility with the canopy completely out of his or her way, yet the pilot can continue to operate the engine to guide the aircraft.

Likewise, the instrument panel also can be retracted out of harm’s way; water splashes by thoughtless boaters or weather-generated waves aren’t kind to electronic instruments. The retracting instrument panel does double-duty by giving more access to the MVP’s foldout front deck area.

MVP is made to fly and move well on water or land; you’d expect that. What will further delight you is how you can keep on using MVP after you’re done flying, docking or beaching.

mvp-2.jpg

To become a fishing boat, the pilot retracts both canopy and instrumental panel and moves his seat off a front deck pedestal after deploying the stowed “origami” deck elements to make a broad, flat surface. Fishing from the relocated pilot’s seat is easy and comfortable. A companion can relax in the hammock on the aft of MVP, accessing the hammock by walking along the sponson areas without worrying about upsetting the craft. It’s designed to be stable on the water while moving around the craft.

Importantly, the pilot can stow the wings while still in the water, allowing the plane to be docked very easily or even stored inside cozy boathouses.

Or just hit the beach. Come evening, you can erect a tent over the front of the MVP and spend the night comfortable and dry. Sweet! MVP.aero

I'll start this off. I have an old plane and love it but also enjoy shopping (dreaming) of my next aircraft. I feel there are gaps in the market with lots of room for improvements. Taking price out of the equation, what is your realistic dream airplane (as in could be kit built or manufactured)?
Mine would be a highwing, twin engine turbocharged (Rotax 915 power), four seat plus bags, and de-iced. Possibly doing 180-185kts+ and 800NM range, easy to get in/out of. Think, mini Turbine Commander! Closest thing to my perfect plane would be the DA62 but lacks the highwing design and the 915s.
I'm going to suggest that a "perfect plane" would be boring as H-E-double-hockey-sticks. It's the imperfections that make flying challenging and fun. Some day people will be flying around in personal quadcopters that just carry you straight to your destination with no drama and drop you off, and nobody's going to be dreaming of being a pilot anymore. Enjoy our imperfect planes while we still have them.

Checkout the TAF Sling 4 Tsi High Wing. It looks like my ideal plane, as long as it has a couple more inches of headroom than the Sling 4 Tsi

Anything with air conditioning and (certified) FADEC that can go faster than my Bonanza.

Jet-A powered, 6 seat, high wing. Something with
FADEC, but not with a TBR or stupidly low 1200hr TBO.

Last edited:
Checkout the TAF Sling 4 Tsi High Wing. It looks like my ideal plane, as long as it has a couple more inches of headroom than the Sling 4 Tsi
It’s nice but I think I read a while back where the kit alone was 55k. An RV8 kit is like 27k which is where my ideal plane would be.

High wing guy here because I trained and flew Cessnas for so many years but now flying an RV10, I want to ask, “why a high wing”? Wing clearance from ground obstacles? View?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Jet-A powered, 6 seat, high wing. Something with
FFFADEC, but not with a TBR or stupidly low 1200hr TBO.
Always thought the Cessna 210 Silver Eagle would be a “near perfect” plane, and checks those boxes. Still certified (if that matters to you), ice protection, six seats with good performance and under $750k.

Always thought the Cessna 210 Silver Eagle would be a “near perfect” plane, and checks those boxes. Still certified (if that matters to you), ice protection, six seats with good performance and under $750k.

I don't have a mission for a turbo prop. I mean, Kodiak is my dream plane (ok, L-12 Electra Jr.) but I don't think I'd use it to it's fullest.

High wing guy here because I trained and flew Cessnas for so many years but now flying an RV10, I want to ask, “why a high wing”? Wing clearance from ground obstacles? View?
Honestly, I’m a low wing guy too but it would mainly be for passengers. Having passengers climb up on the Comanche wing is a little concerning. I’ve seen people slip when their foot goes off the non skid, people putting weight on the door to contort into the seats, hell I even stepped my heel on my buddies door strut on his Mooney and f*cked it up. I see someone get out of their Cessna Cardinal, all graceful and what not, and instantly get jealous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I read that the Tecnam P2006 was going to be offered with 915 power. The P2006 with 912s is basically a high wing with C182 fuel burn, C182 Useful Load, and twin redundancy.

An experimental 4 seater driven by two TJ-150 jet engines. Twin turbine time baby...

Of course, at full thrust, you'll be burning 160 gallons per hour, but as long as we're dreaming, let's say it runs on water.

I’ll take a skylane with the width of a cardinal, speed of a cirrus sr22, and fuel consumption of a Mooney.

I'm going to suggest that a "perfect plane" would be boring as H-E-double-hockey-sticks.

This reminds me several decades ago I think it was Popular Mechanics was coming up with the 'perfect car' that already existed and they took all the characteristics, etc. and their 'perfect car' ended up being the Ford Fairlane. Talk about boring.

And pressurization.

Aerobatic RV-10 (would allow me to bypass the two-airplane ownership route). Alternatively, a N/A Lycoming powered, acro-cape, experimental rules Beech 33 (same airplane count goal as the former). Oh and either for 100K.

As my old feckless DO used to say to, well, pretty much any idea I put forth as an O-2: "neva' gonna happen!" :D

Berieve BE 103 with a few modest modifications..

-fiki
-air conditioning
-pressurized
-two PW615 instead of the piston engines

Candy apple red with grey and black accents

What you describe is pretty close to mine. Tecnam P2006T comes pretty close. Getting to 180kts might be attainable with 915’s if the airframe can handle it. A Or a single engine Centurion/Cardinal like, with new technologies to speed things up with the Cardinals wing placement

The controversy has been settled. When it comes to dream airplanes, high wings are winning the battle. Most want them. Now just to get them built

Extra tried creating what was effectively a lot of people's wish list, a fast modern high-wing plane.. the Extra 400

it is a really cool and very capable plane if not a little goofy looking but only a handful were built..

The controversy has been settled. When it comes to dream airplanes, high wings are winning the battle. Most want them. Now just to get them built
For a traveling plane I like a low wing. For a fun knock around plane I prefer high wings.

Back