Your most memorable XC

In a good way? Well, we survived :). It has to be the time we lost power over the Rockies in the clouds enroute between Denver and Vernal, UT. At some point, I'll write the story. It's been suggested by our FAASTeam leader I do a presentation on it.

Summer of 2010, 50 hours in one week in the Aztec. We flew 2 loads of dogs from Cozumel, one to Denver and one up the east coast. @Laurie and I had just started dating then, and it was a wonderful trip in the venerable old Aztec with our pleasant and daring cameraman.

The last leg was flying from upstate New York (pretty sure it was SYR) back to Pennsylvania. I swear the plane flew itself back with me barely touching any controls. It seemed to be saying "You can do whatever you want, but I'm going home. I've had enough flying for one week."

But honestly, there are so many others that are close seconds. It's been a lot of great flights making a lot of great memories.

Even though I was pretty jazzed with my student solo XC, I was still on a leash as I had to call the FBO/Instructor with each stop - glad they accepted collect calls :)

My most memorable was my first XC after getting my certificate... The flight was Wilmington,DE to Newburg, NY for lunch.. While munching on my burger the cute girl comes walking up to me and asked me for an autograph telling me how much she loved my show.. Of course I obliged her with scribbling on her note pad and to this day I can't figure out who she thought I was... From there is was on to Ithaca, NY to visit a HS friend @ Ithaca College... looked like a cool place to live.. but California Dreaming was on my mind. The next day it was off to State College, PA to watch a football game and hanging out with some other HS friends.That was one busy airport that day and glad I got there early, had experience with ground ground control, and knew about a progressive taxi request to which they were very happy to accommodate.. Oye! There were some goobers there.. The next day Sunday I left State College and headed down to Frederick, MD to see what AOPA was all about and after 15 minutes and a top off I was on my way to Cape May, NJ for lunch. From there I headed on up New Jersey coast to Monmouth then over to Doyelstwon, PA and then back on down to Wilmington, DE. I had to postpone the flight once due to weather, but in the end it all worked out.. Penn State was not part of the trip as I had planned to spend the whole weekend in Ithaca. It was one of those perfect northeast VFR fall weekends with big clouds, blue skies, chill in the morning with a t-shirt in the afternoon, and the leaves in full color. One of these years I'll make it back there and do the trip again.. can't beat the fall flying in the northeast for esthetics.

Last edited:
In 2005 I was flying from Indiana to Scottsdale AZ. I flew Arrow back then and not instrument rated yet. It was getting late in the evening and I was planning a stop in Albuquerque NM for overnight stop. I was approaching the gap between 2 mountains which makes a pass to the ABQ coming from east. About 30 miles out and I can see the pass and also dark clouds hanging over the pass and beyond. The visibility and ceiling seemed to be OK going there. I queried the ATC about weather and he says its doable and go for it. Little bit further and I felt a huge jolt and scared the hell out of me. Punched nearest button on GPS and found Moriarty NM was right below me. Landed there and as I am pushing the plane to the parking spot a huge dust storm popped up with the winds at least 40-50 mph. Before I knew the plane and us were covered with pretty good layer of dust. We walked in to terminal building and asked if we can have crew car for tonight and he OKed it. I went to the car and it was 1973 Toyota station wagon. The car was OK except it had stick and I never drove a stick before.
Well the guy gave me little instructions and said you will be alright. And off goes me and family driving through the town in a clunker. Kids got kick out of riding in that car.

Just over a month after getting my PPL. Took my wife from Stockton CA down to San Diego for Thanksgiving weekend. Landed at KSAN. My first time going into a bravo airport. We did it in two hops, stopping in Bakersfield for a potty break, and fuel. (Not that we needed the fuel, but I was terribly afraid of getting put in a hold forever in San Diego.) I called KSAN ops the day before, and they advised me to come between 1200-1500, stating it was usually their slowest time of day. (Although being Thanksgiving day, they couldn't guarantee that.) The weather was wonderful, with enough white puffy clouds around to make it pretty, but not enough to make it challenging. It was my first time through LA bravo as well. San Diego approach brought us to Mission Bay VOR then direct to RWY 09, opposite direction as the airline traffic. (Winds were calm.) Beautiful approach over the water. KSAN Tower had us taxi all the way down the runway to exit C3, with a 767 holding short waiting for us to clear before starting their takeoff roll. The flight crew even waved at us, which tickled my wife all to heck. Got treated like royalty at Landmark Aviation, and had a Mercedes rental car waiting for us. (I splurged to impress my wife. She likes that stuff.) She was pretty wiped out, and took most of the next day to recover from the flight. But we got a full day at the San Diego Zoo, and several nice meals before flying home the following Sunday. And of course, I felt like a real pilot. The flight itself wasn't anything special, other than the uneventful landing at KSAN. But it was the first time that I flew myself someplace that was too far for me to bother driving to. THAT is what made it special for me, as I had finally gotten some utility out of my license.

I agree, no one most memorable. Many memorable moments. Northwest bound from Denver at dawn, snow covered mountains and a full moon in front of me with the orange sunrise behind me.

That one reminded me of another neat one... one flight going to/from Nebraska for no particular reason with friends and either it was the year Halley's Comet or the Hale-Bopp one was huge and visible just after sunset. Wicked cool to see that from the airplane out away from any city lights.

In a good way? Well, we survived :). It has to be the time we lost power over the Rockies in the clouds enroute between Denver and Vernal, UT. At some point, I'll write the story. It's been suggested by our FAASTeam leader I do a presentation on it.

Ummmm... wow. Yeah.

For me it's probably the one that I made in my heavy ultralight experimental and ended in a crash. I pushed it to the utmost with regard to the endurance, speed, and ceiling of the aircraft, and fought the weather all the way. Although there was no ice, headwinds almost made me run out of gas. I saved myself by using an updraft from a thunderstorm to set an absolute altitude record for the airplane, which allowed me to glide to an airport, but I almost got hit by a lightning in the process. In one of the hops, I diverted for low ceilings touching the ground. I also made a precautionary landing in a pasture and had to build a runway for takeoff by removing old bushes. It was all in 1 day and frankly on review I'm not surprised that the day ended with a crash within 50 nm of the home field. I just pushed it too far. It would be a comfortable and unremarkable journey in a real airplane.

Several good trips! One in particular I remember was coming in for the landing, on final at about 350 feet and added flaps. One flap bracket snapped and the left flap blew up. Full aileron deflection does not have adequate compensation for one flap down and one flap up! Immediately I am rolling left and nearing about 70 degree bank. Fortunately the old bird had stick flaps and not electric flaps and was still high enough to drop another 50 feet when I hit the button on the end of the stick and raised the other flap. Talk about your life flashing before your eyes, seemed like ten minutes at the time but was probably 4 or 5 seconds if that.

Like the old expression defining flying - "Hours and hours of boredom interrupted by a few moments of shriek terror!"

I have had a lot of great cross countries (including coast-coast in my Beech 18), but this was my overall favorite: flying a DC-3 from Boulder to Steamboat Springs.
f3e999ff098f184e9d2661588adf647f.jpg

In the early summer of 1972 I was working as a CFI in a Piper Flite Center at Long Beach, California. Into the office one day walked Ron Whitelaw, who was then Chief Instructor at Flight Safety across the field. He came to talk to a friend of his, one of my fellow instructors, Bob Wagner. From a few feet away I overheard their conversation. Ron said he was to ferry a DC-3 from Long Beach to Medford, Oregon, for its new owner. But Ron had a problem. He needed a co-pilot to be legal. And he was leaving in an hour. "You won't get paid, but you get DC-3 time and all it'll cost you is airline fare back to Long Beach. Can you get away?"

Bob looked at his daily schedule sheet -- it was full, and he couldn't cancel all those students. "Sorry, can't do it," he told Ron.

Ron looked around, surveying the single-wide trailer that served as our flight school office, as he formulated Plan 'B'. "Is there anyone else who could go?"

It was one of those classic Maynard G. Krebs moments: "You rang?"
mgk_zpsm2ipsfsx.jpg

Soon I found myself walking around N1213M with Ron. It was on the books as a DC-3C (P&W engines), having been built for the USAAF as a C-47 in 1943. I don't know its airline history, but in later years it had been a Goodyear Tire & Rubber corporate transport. It had just been sold to a company that would use it for smokejumping in southern Oregon, and its clean but dated 13-seat corporate interior would likely be ripped out.

N1213M had the appearance of a business tool that was well-used, but also well-cared-for. Its white-and-grey exterior, which could have passed for a US Navy paint scheme, showed no major flaws.

View attachment 53245

In the cockpit, Ron introduced me to my first officer duties -- the fuel slectors, the multiple levers that operated the landing gear, and the magic sequence in which they are operated; the knurled round knobs that operate the cowl flaps; power settings (I still have them scribbled on the back of Ron's business card), radios, and so on.

We took off from runway 25L at Long Beach, flew through the old VFR corridor above LAX, then climbed to 8,500' for the northbound route to MFR. We cruised over the hot, dry Central Valley of California, country music blaring from the ADF. Ron graciously let me hand-fly the whole trip until the approach. Near Merced CA, Ron got up out of the left seat to go to the lav in the tail of the aircraft. As he wriggled through the narrow passage past my seat, he tapped my shoulder and said, "If you lose an engine it takes a lot of rudder," and he was gone.

To be alone in the cockpit of a DC-3 in flight ... wow. Ernie Gann's books suddenly changed from words on paper to full sensory overload.

When it was my turn in the lav a while later, Ron thought it would be a good time to check that the rudder still had full travel. It did.

Ron greased the landing on runway 30 at Medford, four hours after we left Long Beach. I learned the procedures for securing the airplane. Gust locks had to be installed in the control surfaces. The elevators are very heavy, and care must be taken not to let go of them until the gust lock is secure. The force of the elevators falling of their own weight would send the yokes in the cockpit right through the instrument panel.

The flight back to Long Beach on a Western Airlines 737-200 was an anti-climax. Later Ron endorsed my logbook with 4.0 hours "Douglas DC-3 - First Officer".

I'm told that N1213M was scrapped at McAllen, Texas, in the early 2000s.

Weird coincidence follow-up to this story ...

About three years ago I was flying my 172 home to Washington State from San Diego. Flying more or less the same route toward Medford, I reflected on that DC-3 trip so long ago.

Passing Medford, my reverie was broken by chatter on the Cascade Approach frequency. A Lancair Columbia was IFR from the Medford area toward Burns, and there were a number of transmissions between that aircraft and the controller. I was slightly annoyed that all that chatter was distracting me from reliving the DC-3 flight.

All of a sudden I got a chill when I realized what callsign I was hearing from that Columbia: N1213M !!

<Insert Twilight Zone Theme Here> :yikes:

That one reminded me of another neat one... one flight going to/from Nebraska for no particular reason with friends and either it was the year Halley's Comet or the Hale-Bopp one was huge and visible just after sunset. Wicked cool to see that from the airplane out away from any city lights.

Ummmm... wow. Yeah.
Probably Hale-Bopp, Nate. Halley's wasn't much of a sight in the northern hemisphere.

It also came back in 1986. Not sure you were flying back then... Hale-Bopp was late 1990s.

Probably Hale-Bopp, Nate. Halley's wasn't much of a sight in the northern hemisphere.

It also came back in 1986. Not sure you were flying back then... Hale-Bopp was late 1990s.

Yep would have been Hale-Bopp then. Very cool.

Didn't manage to join any cults that thought the mothership was following it either, so that was a plus.

Speaking of all this astronomical stuff - anyone planning any XCs to get themselves somewhere to see the complete eclipse later this summer?

Yep... thinking somewhere in Nebraska. But that's if my annual and IFR certs don't break me. I haven't had a chance to check up on the FBO lately thanks to the end of semester crunch. For all I know they haven't even started on it. Actually that's likely, since I haven't heard anything from them, and would be astounded if they don't find anything seriously wrong with it after 1.5 years in the hangar.

Yep... thinking somewhere in Nebraska. But that's if my annual and IFR certs don't break me. I haven't had a chance to check up on the FBO lately thanks to the end of semester crunch. For all I know they haven't even started on it. Actually that's likely, since I haven't heard anything from them, and would be astounded if they don't find anything seriously wrong with it after 1.5 years in the hangar.

I'm also thinking Nebraska but...

Those who know of my Nebraska mechanical curse probably would recommend I go further west or east. LOL.

Everything I own breaks in Nebraska. :)

What a great thread.... needed the positivity today. Life's been tough recently.

I soloed 3-4 weeks ago and haven't been able to get back up since. Our next few sessions will be XC's. I can guarantee they will be more memorable than my first solo, which was uneventful other than the gusty crosswinds, and the amazing climb performance without my 240lb instructor. However, it was still exciting and very cool to be alone.

Just found out this morning they hit a deer in the only plane available to me. It ran out in front of them last night on landing. Going to be a couple more weeks now before I can get up in the air.

Flying my new to me 182 from Lakeland, FL to Watsonville, CA as a still wet behind the ears PPL.
This, and any other return trip in your new plane has to be incredible. I hope WannFly gets his Archer. Maybe we'll hear his story soon.

For me, honestly....I believe the moment I am sitting on the runway with my girl by my side, about to take off on our first flight together, will be the best moment ever. Destination won't be a factor, as it will be the beginning of many.

My most memorable cross country as a passenger was a CAP flight to take blood samples from Oakland to a Red Cross lab in Portland, Oregon on the day after the 9/11 attacks. As PIC, I guess it would be taking a kidney for transplant, from Palo Alto to San Diego overnight, also a CAP flight.

Oshkosh 2016. It was my first "real" cross country of considerable distance, my first "real" xc in my own 182, my first trip to OSH and Fisk arrival as PIC, and it was a great aviation saturated bonding experience for my brother and me. The only flight I've ever had that really felt like an adventure.

IMG_2610.JPG IMG_2609.JPG

This is what it looked like on my way from Orlando to Gainesville this morning. Nice day...

Just found out this morning they hit a deer in the only plane available to me. It ran out in front of them last night on landing. Going to be a couple more weeks now before I can get up in the air.

If they didn't offer you some venison steaks or better, venison pepperoni, you need to call them back and demand some for your pain and suffering. Hahaha.

For me, honestly....I believe the moment I am sitting on the runway with my girl by my side, about to take off on our first flight together, will be the best moment ever. Destination won't be a factor, as it will be the beginning of many.

She'd rather go shoe shopping. Trust me on this one.

But at least you'll get to join the club who's asked for a re-route to land immediately because she has to go to the bathroom! LOL.

Speak of the devil... two hours after writing that I got an email from my mechanic. He's started on the annual all right... and found some deteriorated engine cowling firewall mounts. Because of availability issues with the type I have installed now, he recommended replacing them all. Sounds like about 0.5 AMU, not a real biggie, but a delay since they have to be ordered. Would probably be a lot worse if I insisted on expedited delivery, so I'll just go with ground. I'm just hoping they don't find something worse.

She'd rather go shoe shopping. Trust me on this one.

But at least you'll get to join the club who's asked for a re-route to land immediately because she has to go to the bathroom! LOL.

You don't know how right you are my friend.

Me: hey you want to go fly over the Bahamas?
Her: do they have a mall?

Central Washington state to NE Arizona in a Huey. Dang good time flying with an experienced instructor getting training on the way. Lots of fun

I flew my Cherokee 140 from Long Beach, CA to its new home in Burlington, VT. 24.1 hours over 4 days due to weather. All solo and most of it VFR.

My favorite trip was flying my father's old 310L from Kansas to Baltimore to see my sister. VFR both ways, perfect trip except for a near (very near) mid-air on the way back.

I started flying back in the early/mid 1960s and I was only 16 when I did my long cross country solo, in a J-3 Cub, on floats. I started planning my LXC the day after I started lessons and must have done a thousand iterations before the big day.
On the big day, after suffering through what seemed like days of final briefings and advice, I hopped on the float, yanked the prop, and I was off.
My first stop was at a seaplane base in Poughkeepsie, and easy 27 mile flight up the Hudson. Hop out, get the logbook signed, grab a sandwich, checked the weather, and just to be safe I topped off the tank.
My next stop was Otsego Lake (Cooperstown, NY) 103 miles. I knew I would have to fly a really long leg back, but there was a young lady, from a CAP squadron, who I knew would be totally impressed when I showed up in my Cub.
Unfortunately, weather reporting sucked, back in the mid 60s (it still sucks if you ask me), and a hour or so into the flight I could see things were getting really ugly north of me, and there was no radio in the plane so I couldn't talk to anyone so I adjusted my course more west and flew along the edge of the weather, looking for someplace to go. I ended up at the old Glenn Curtiss facility in Keuka Lake, 152 miles, from where I left.
Never having been there before, no one knew who I was, and the first question I got was: "Does your mother know where you are?"
The second was: "Where did you steal the airplane?"
I produced my logbook, and explained my situation, everybody was amazed at my mad aviation skills. Or not.
Do you have any idea how slow a J-3 on floats is?
Do you have any idea how slow a J-3 on floats is flying into a 20 kt head wind?
There is no way I'm getting that plane home that day.
Did I mention, my Mom hated airplanes and my parents had no idea I was taking flying lessons?
My parents thought I was working in the hardware store, not working at the seaplane base for lessons on Sundays.
Now I have a a couple of really big problems:
I need to get someone to jigger for me, so my parents don't find out when I don't get home that night.
I didn't have enough money on me to fly home.
Jim the Hermit, owner of the seaplane base. he could be, well, intimidating.
Pilots are cool. Pilots can be the coolest people on the planet. They let me use a phone.
First, I call my buddy Lynch. "I'm staying at your house tonight." OK
Then, I call my parents. "The CAP kids are going on a practice mission. We're all staying at the Lynch's house." OK.
I call Jim the Hermit and tell him where I am, that his airplane is fine, and what's going on. OK.
I talk to a guy named Bob Cole and explain my level of destitution, and I offer to wash his airplanes.
So, borrowed bucket, hose and sponges in hand I start scrubbing like crazy.
Unbeknownst to me, Mr Cole has rallied the troops. A dozen or more guys show up, all curious about the kid in the J-3.
The wives bring food, the guys brought money, a party breaks out with much hugging from wives (and a couple of cute girls) and backslapping from pilots. The libations and pilot lies flow like water.
Bob and his wife put me up for the night.
The next day dawns CAVU, and after a belt busting breakfast and almost more food than the plane can lift, a full load of fuel, plus $100.00 in my pocket in case something else went wrong (do you have any idea how much money $100.00 is in 1965???!!!), with more slapping of backs and and hugs from wives, and lot's more advise, I hop on the float, pull the prop and head back, 162 miles to the Peekskill Seaplane Base.
Jim the Hermit was sitting in his office, as if nothing had happened. "Glad your back. I need the plane." I almost cried, I was so touched by his emotional greeting.
On the plus side, after the events of July 18-19 Jim started checking me out in every plane he owned. I even got to fly his Grumman Goose (no one got to fly his Grumman!), and I used it for my multi-engine, complex and commercial ratings.
It took me almost 3 months to earn $100.00 extra dollars so I could pay everyone back. I washed a LOT of planes.

Cub trip from Houston to Oshkosh in 2012 for the 75th anniversary of the J3.

What a great trip it was. Our Cub was wrecked the year before, so I wasn't going to be able to go. My neighbor told me he was taking his Cub and asked if I wanted to join him. I thought he was kidding me, but he was serious! It turns out our other neighbor was going to fly his J5 and asked my neighbor about taking his J3. So, we were a flight of 2 for the first half of the trip on the way up. We split up on day 2, somewhere past St. Louis.

Low and slow all the way!! It was a blast. Here is a video slide show I made:

Oshkosh 2016. It was my first "real" cross country of considerable distance, my first "real" xc in my own 182, my first trip to OSH and Fisk arrival as PIC, and it was a great aviation saturated bonding experience for my brother and me. The only flight I've ever had that really felt like an adventure.
I hope you get busy having many more. Everyone one of my big xcountries has been an incredible experience/adventure. Except for maybe 1 or 2. Last summer was also my first Osh visit, but we did it by circumnavigating Lake Michigan and doing the UP big time. That was my last, latest magnificent cross country in my 172, but there have been many others.

In the planning stages for the next one, coming soon.

In the early summer of 1972 I was working as a CFI in a Piper Flite Center at Long Beach, California. Into the office one day walked Ron Whitelaw, who was then Chief Instructor at Flight Safety across the field. He came to talk to a friend of his, one of my fellow instructors, Bob Wagner. From a few feet away I overheard their conversation. Ron said he was to ferry a DC-3 from Long Beach to Medford, Oregon, for its new owner. But Ron had a problem. He needed a co-pilot to be legal. And he was leaving in an hour. "You won't get paid, but you get DC-3 time and all it'll cost you is airline fare back to Long Beach. Can you get away?"

Bob looked at his daily schedule sheet -- it was full, and he couldn't cancel all those students. "Sorry, can't do it," he told Ron.

Ron looked around, surveying the single-wide trailer that served as our flight school office, as he formulated Plan 'B'. "Is there anyone else who could go?"

It was one of those classic Maynard G. Krebs moments: "You rang?"
mgk_zpsm2ipsfsx.jpg

Soon I found myself walking around N1213M with Ron. It was on the books as a DC-3C (P&W engines), having been built for the USAAF as a C-47 in 1943. I don't know its airline history, but in later years it had been a Goodyear Tire & Rubber corporate transport. It had just been sold to a company that would use it for smokejumping in southern Oregon, and its clean but dated 13-seat corporate interior would likely be ripped out.

N1213M had the appearance of a business tool that was well-used, but also well-cared-for. Its white-and-grey exterior, which could have passed for a US Navy paint scheme, showed no major flaws.

View attachment 53245

In the cockpit, Ron introduced me to my first officer duties -- the fuel slectors, the multiple levers that operated the landing gear, and the magic sequence in which they are operated; the knurled round knobs that operate the cowl flaps; power settings (I still have them scribbled on the back of Ron's business card), radios, and so on.

We took off from runway 25L at Long Beach, flew through the old VFR corridor above LAX, then climbed to 8,500' for the northbound route to MFR. We cruised over the hot, dry Central Valley of California, country music blaring from the ADF. Ron graciously let me hand-fly the whole trip until the approach. Near Merced CA, Ron got up out of the left seat to go to the lav in the tail of the aircraft. As he wriggled through the narrow passage past my seat, he tapped my shoulder and said, "If you lose an engine it takes a lot of rudder," and he was gone.

To be alone in the cockpit of a DC-3 in flight ... wow. Ernie Gann's books suddenly changed from words on paper to full sensory overload.

When it was my turn in the lav a while later, Ron thought it would be a good time to check that the rudder still had full travel. It did.

Ron greased the landing on runway 30 at Medford, four hours after we left Long Beach. I learned the procedures for securing the airplane. Gust locks had to be installed in the control surfaces. The elevators are very heavy, and care must be taken not to let go of them until the gust lock is secure. The force of the elevators falling of their own weight would send the yokes in the cockpit right through the instrument panel.

The flight back to Long Beach on a Western Airlines 737-200 was an anti-climax. Later Ron endorsed my logbook with 4.0 hours "Douglas DC-3 - First Officer".

I'm told that N1213M was scrapped at McAllen, Texas, in the early 2000s.

Weird coincidence follow-up to this story ...

About three years ago I was flying my 172 home to Washington State from San Diego. Flying more or less the same route toward Medford, I reflected on that DC-3 trip so long ago.

Passing Medford, my reverie was broken by chatter on the Cascade Approach frequency. A Lancair Columbia was IFR from the Medford area toward Burns, and there were a number of transmissions between that aircraft and the controller. I was slightly annoyed that all that chatter was distracting me from reliving the DC-3 flight.

All of a sudden I got a chill when I realized what callsign I was hearing from that Columbia: N1213M !!

That is such a cool story. I think the DC-3 is one of the coolest airplanes every built, don't know what it is about it but have always been fascinated by them. Very cool story, and very well told, maybe I will get that lucky some day! (Probably not).

And as for my most memorable XC, do date would be my first solo XC, 8A6-KLBT-KFLO-8A6. Nothing out of the ordinary, just my first one all by my lonesome, and what a feeling that was!

KFFC-KFPR-MBPV-TJSJ

Cessna 401, realized I was in the "Bermuda Triangle" about halfway between Provo and PR for the first time. GPS and compass kept working. :)

Back