Your list of must have books on flying

I'm surprised no one has said anything about the FAA published (or faa material published by asa) books. I graduated from a part 141 school and thoe books were about all we used. I'm not saying those other books aren't good (I have yet to read most of them) but i figure if you're going to take a test with the FAA, you should know their books right?

1) Primary training and skills /airmenship.

Pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge (PHAK)
Airplane flying handbook
rod machado private pilots handbook (the guy is a nut, but smart!)

2)Weather ( systems).

advisory circular 00-45F: It has TONS of info and can be hard to read, but take it slow. You'll be surprised how detailed it can be.

3) Weather and Instrument Flying.

again, advisory circular 00-45F
Instrument flying handbook
instrument procedures

4)Other specialty type of flying or just a great flying book.

Haven't expanded my library yet.

It may just be that I've taken my check rides with examiners that have to hear the words right out of the book, but that's how I've been taught.

(I also realize the beginning of this post sounds negative and it's not meant to.)

Best book on aerodynamics and stick-and-rudder skills: www.av8n.com by Dr. John Denker. Available only online.

Bob Gardner

Better on aerodynamics than Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators?

I think it is, Grant, but YMMV. It is written for the general aviation student but has enough math in it to explain why things happen the way they do. Denker's doctorate is in physics. His illustrations are way better than those in ANA. But take a look...it only takes a few mouse clicks.

Bob

Better on aerodynamics than Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators?

The price is better, at least. :wink2: Thanks for the link, though, I'll give it a read through some time in the near future. I've been reading through the first of Noel Kruse's books, speaking of free online flying books. http://www.flybetter.com.au. There have been a few discussions that I really liked. He isn't always as careful with his definitions as a physicist would be (energy and momentum aren't always clearly distinguished, for example) but for someone trying to get a working understanding of how airplanes fly and the practical implications for flying them, there's no real reason to. Has anyone with a more expert opinion than mine taken a look at them?

Please provide ordering details, Mr. Blatant BlahBlah.
Sorry, it took a few weeks for me to get my copies.

Send me a PM or an email to get my address. Or heck, I guess my address is probably on the internet, but I'd rather not post it here. Offered now for $15 delivered, signed if you wish.

Or wait until it finds its way to bookstores/Amazon in October. But I'd prefer to send you one myself.

Not mentioned yet but essential:

West With the Night, Beryl Markham
Airman's Odyssey, Antoine de St. Exupery which is a collection of 3 of his best stories.

Let me be the third vote on "Fate Is The Hunter". That would be #1 on my list. This is a must-read for any pilot. It forces you to think about the realities of flying.

Wow! No one mentioned Jonathon Livingston Seagull yet!

I read that book when it first came out and have never forgotten the pure joy that flight can bring to oneself.

Last edited:
Wow! No one mentioned Jonathon Livingston Seagull yet!

I read that book when it first came out and have never forgotten the pure joy that flight can bring to oneself.
Someone gave me "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" when I was in HS. It may have been one of the things that got me thinking more about flying. I also enjoyed "Stranger to the Ground", another early Richard Bach book. His later books were a little bit too far out there for me.

I am currently reading "The Limits of Expertise: Rethinking Pilot Error and the Causes of Airline Accidents". It describes 19 different airline accidents which were attributed to pilot error and takes a bit of a different look at them. I know most here are not airline pilots and neither am I, but it's interesting nevertheless.

http://books.google.com/books?id=mM...&resnum=4&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

All of Bach's books are interesting. His latest, "Hypnotizing Maria", is the best he's done since "Illusions".

Back