Your list of must have books on flying

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
What are the best aviation books that you feel are must reads in the following categories:

1) Primary training and skills /airmenship.

2)Weather ( systems).

3) Weather and Instrument Flying.

3)Other specialty type of flying or just a great flying book.

1. "Stick and Rudder"
2. "Weather Flying" by Bob Buck
3. "Instrument Flying" by Richard Taylor
"The Instrument Flight Training Manual" by Peter Dogan
one or two newer books that cover GPS systems
4. All of Bob Buck's other books.

1. "Wager With The Wind, The Don Sheldon Stroy"
2. "Mountain Flying Bible" by Sparky Imeson

I tried to read Wager with the Wind and just gave up.

Kludgy, ponderous, falsely dramatic -- it reads like a thesaurus commitee meeting notes.

Don Sheldon may have been a legend, but the book is simply unreadable. :mad:

To answer the OP:

20 I liked Bill Kershner's series -- fun, well written, accessible, and applicable. I derived most from his Flight Instructor guide.

3) Spirit of St Louis, North Star Over My Shoulder, and anything by St Ex.

Last edited:
I fully agree that Wager with the Wind will never win any awards as a literary work of art. I paid $10 for it at Oshkosh so it was pretty easy to keep that in perspective. I had wanted to read the book for a long time after first learning of Don Sheldon while in Talkeetna. I found the stories very entertaining, while realizing some exaggeration had taken place, and also found it amazing how little has changed from now until then. Talkeetna certainly hasn't changed much. The airplanes are the same. Don's hanger is still there, or was when I was there. I don't know if being able to relate some of the details in the story to my memories of being there helped make the story more interesting or not, but I enjoyed it just the same. FWIW everyone I've loaned it to has reported enjoying it too.

1) Stick & Rudder, Langweische
2) Taildragger Tactics, Imeson
3) Taming the Taildragger, Ball
4) A Gift of Wings, Bach
5) Spirt of St Louis, Lindbergh
6) Flight of Passage, Buck

"Weather Flying" is a must read. An even bigger "must read" is Bob Buck's "North Star Over My Shoulder" -- a stellar, stellar flying book.

I also enjoyed "Human Factors in General Aviation", "Aircraft Safety", "Fly the Wing", "Flight Discipline".

Cheers,

-Andrew

Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook.

That is all.

I haven't written any yet.
How much longer are we expected to wait?

Introduction to Flight, John D. Anderson, Jr.

I got an older addition (3rd) for about $20 instead of the three digit price for even a used copy of the current textbook...
(The book assumes you have at least a passing knowledge of calculus basics but is a pretty good read for a textbook)

I haven't written any yet.

Sure you have.

"I had to buy a complex, retract of 250 HP or more........just to beat Anthony's Tiger, but its still not as cool and doesn't go much faster"

by Ed Frederick (I was a teenage Grumman envyor)

Stick and Rudder
North Star Over My Shoulder
Cannibal Queen
Bax Seat
Weather Flying
Fly the Wing
Redefining Airmanship
The Proficient Pilot
The Advanced Pilot's Flight Manual

Sure you have.

"I had to buy a complex, retract of 250 HP or more........just to beat Anthony's Tiger, but its still not as cool and doesn't go much faster"

by Ed Frederick (I was a teenage Grumman envyor)

You forgot the subtitle of "I really just like to use less than 10,000 feet of runway"

The Al Mooney Story: They All Fly Through the Same Air
by Al Mooney, as told to Gordon Baxter

The Complete Guide to Single-Engine Mooneys
by Paul Garrison

Those Remarkable Mooneys
by Larry Ball

"50 variations on 'Any Traffic In The Pattern Please Advise' by Tred M. Ill"....

:D

And don't forget the most important of all - any book about flying that you can borrow from a friend.:D (Just don't forget to return it!)

Stick and Rudder
North Star Over My Shoulder
Cannibal Queen
Bax Seat
Weather Flying
Fly the Wing
Redefining Airmanship
The Proficient Pilot
The Advanced Pilot's Flight Manual

The Proficient Pilot taught me more than any flight instructor could. CFI taught me how and that book taught me why.:yesnod:

What are the best aviation books that you feel are must reads in the following categories:

An Illustrated Dictionary of Aviation

This may also be available at you library in their online databases. It is an authoritative source published by McGraw Hill.

Here is a source review I had written about this book to get a library to purchase it.
Item: An illustrated dictionary of aviation / compiled by Bharat Kumar, chief editor
ISBN 0-07-139606-3

Format: Hardcover, xv, 752 pg. ; ill. 24 cm.

Scope: This resource is a dictionary of terms with explanations related to all areas of aviation. This source is a comprehensive collection of aeronautics, air traffic control, navigation, avionics, aircraft operation, meteorology, and aviation medicine. The source focuses on aircraft and aviation rather than information on satellites, missiles, and space.

Relation to similar works: This dictionary is a unique single source that covers far more than traditional aviation reference materials which usually only focus on a single subject or are formatted as test study guides for specific aviation ratings.

Authority: The editor-in-chief of this resource is a former Air Chief Marshall for the Indian Air Force. Two assistant editors are both faculty members of the University of North Dakota’s aviation school. The UND aviation program is considered one of the top programs in the US. The source is published by McGraw Hill, a recognized as a publisher of the “most respected and well-known works in a wide range of professional fields” according to Credo Reference.

Treatment: The dictionary source is well organized and when checked against other sources, such as the FAA Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, is accurate. The black and white drawings are small but detailed enough to clarify the definitions presented. Unfortunately, some definition would be better explained with color instead of black and white drawings. For example the definition of an air speed indicator (ASI) the definition refer to the white, green, and yellow arc. The illustration indicates parts of the ASI and states a color. The point could have been made clearer with a color picture. This dictionary source, published in 2005 is current. Aviation terms are not revised annually and this source will remain pertinent into the future.

Arrangement: The arrangement of the information is alphabetical. At the end of the dictionary there is a glossary of aviation acronyms that is also arranged alphabetically.

Special Features: Source covers over 7,400 terms and has over 2,400 black and white illustrations.

Cost: $80 US. per copy. When compared to having to acquire several publications to obtain all of the information in this one source the price is extremely economical.

Last edited:
Not mentioned yet:

Fate is the Hunter, Ernest Gann
Guide to Bush Flying, F.E. Potts

The Al Mooney Story: They All Fly Through the Same Air
by Al Mooney, as told to Gordon Baxter

The Complete Guide to Single-Engine Mooneys
by Paul Garrison

Those Remarkable Mooneys
by Larry Ball

These are must have books, if one needs to get a fire started.

1) Primary training and skills /airmenship.

Stick and Rudder - Wolfgang Langwiesche
Private Pilot Handbook - Rod Machado

2)Weather ( systems).

Weather Flying - Bob Buck

3) Weather and Instrument Flying.

Instrument Flight Training Manual - Peter Dogan
I suspect Machado's new instrument guide is a good one too, but I've only read the older non-comprehensive one. That was well worth it anyway.

Mountain Flying Bible - Sparky Imeson
Magic Carpet: Soul of an Airplane - Greg Brown
Flight of Passage - Rinker Buck

One of my favorites is "The Killing Zone: How and Why Pilots Die"
It is a great book that reviews accidents and walks you through why they happened. It's a great book that allows you to learn from others mistakes.

Oh, and hello PJ. I found the forum finally. :)

Jim

Tim,
I'm going to be taking a Wings seminar in which they recommend reading "Redefining Airmanship" cover to cover. Worth the $14 investment?

Speaking of bush flying....
just finished Pioneer Bush Pilot: The Story of Noel Wien by Ira Harkey
Gives a nice perspective on what it was like, when 'planes just started out, and so did travel to some parts of that state in certain conditions. Also has a couple of nice reminders...such as Harkey quoting Wien explaining he managed to land out safely under trying conditions because all the while he was in the air he was "always looking" for suitable emergency landing spots.

Last edited:
"Defying Gravity: A look at life from a higher plane" by Ken Ibold. Available from the author now and at bookstores and online on October 19.

(Oh crap, blatant commercial representation, in violation of the code of conduct!!)

An old one that's worth reading. "No Parachute", Arthur Lee. It's the letters home of a WW1 pilot. I read it years ago. I remember that I couldn't put it down. It's not about flying technique, just the guy's daily experience as pilot.

"Defying Gravity: A look at life from a higher plane" by Ken Ibold. Available from the author now and at bookstores and online on October 19.

(Oh crap, blatant commercial representation, in violation of the code of conduct!!)

Please provide ordering details, Mr. Blatant BlahBlah.

An old one that's worth reading. "No Parachute", Arthur Lee. It's the letters home of a WW1 pilot. I read it years ago. I remember that I couldn't put it down. It's not about flying technique, just the guy's daily experience as pilot.

Seconded. Good reading.

I fully agree that Wager with the Wind will never win any awards as a literary work of art. I paid $10 for it at Oshkosh so it was pretty easy to keep that in perspective. I had wanted to read the book for a long time after first learning of Don Sheldon while in Talkeetna. I found the stories very entertaining, while realizing some exaggeration had taken place, and also found it amazing how little has changed from now until then. Talkeetna certainly hasn't changed much. The airplanes are the same. Don's hanger is still there, or was when I was there. I don't know if being able to relate some of the details in the story to my memories of being there helped make the story more interesting or not, but I enjoyed it just the same. FWIW everyone I've loaned it to has reported enjoying it too.
Damn. A pilot exaggerate?!?! Imagine my surprise.
I've read a number of stories where it was obvious the author got bored with the project. The start was exciting, detailed, a range of emotions. Towards the end, it was a clinical approach to what happened. Lots of interesting info, just tired of talking about it.
It's a ***** when we get bored with a project that has a deadline. Just ask my boss!

Add one to the list: "Serenade to the Big Bird" by Bert Stiles.

I've mentioned this one elsewhere on the board, but it bears repeating. AWESOME book. Stiles was a B-17 copilot in WWII and wrote of his experiences as they were happening. After surviving his bomber deployment (which was a pretty tough thing to do), he re-upped as a fighter pilot and was killed in his P-51 a short time later. When they sent his stuff home, the book was in it and his mother had it published. It doesn't get any more real and raw than this. An amazing read.

Two of my favorites are Flight Of Passage by Rinker Buck and
Flying South by Barbara Cushman Rowell

In addition to Gann's Fate is the Hunter, need to read Hostage to Fortune

Also, I Could Never Be So Lucky Again by Jimmy Doolitle

Did I already suggest Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook?

I believe so. But with this post and the 2 others, that book gets the most votes. Call it a day and buy the book already.

Back