Your latest verified greaser

Some time ago I dropped one in that should have left some fillings on the floor boards. I apologized to my wife and explained that the throttle was sticky and prevented me from adding a smidgen of throttle at the right moment.

I replaced the throttle (It was indeed stiff and sticky)

I greased one in--one of those landings that you couldn't tell just when the plane landed. I asked my wife--"What did you think about that one?" She replied "I don't know I had my eyes closed."

I did this when I asked my wife to marry me, was landing at CRQ, forgot about the hump in the runway and dropped it in from about 4 feet.. Sadly it was on video too.. She loves to fly with me though

Verified means there was a witness either in the plane or on the ground.

My latest was landing about 3-1/2 weeks ago at KPHF with my wife on board. Unfortunately it wasn't on purpose, I'd rounded out a bit late and was expecting to float longer in ground effect. I didn't know I'd greased it on until I heard the wheels rolling.

Next.

Wife gave me a 10 on a landing at COU on Nov 30.

Yesterday, along with my bride, to celebrate my 9th anniversary of being a pilot! I hadn't flown in 2 months, and wanted to do a little pattern work in a Cutlass. I took my bride as she hadn't flown with me in almost 4 years, and was interested in seeing this complex airplane. She LOVED the "clunk" of pulling up the landing gear; she said it was just like the pros, except that the pros don't ask you to look out the window to see if the gear is down. ;)

Anyway, I had a slight 12kt 40 degree crosswind, and nailed three landings in a row. She said it was like I was setting a baby down in a crib. :)

I was going to do 5 landings, but with those reviews I thought I'd stop right there.

Definitely not the poor schmuck who landed his 152 at Castle (KMER) Saturday afternoon, hard enough to set off the ELT, while a CAP SAR exercise was going on at that airport.

Every landing in a Fly Baby is a greaser or go-around.

So my female friend and I were told to wait for our IFR clearance on the ground at an uncontrolled airport (using the RCO) "until the 310 landed, expect 45 minutes". (there was some other traffic too) My female friend is a pilot and was doing 1/2 the talking (women nowadays huh?) and finishes with "we'll wait, we don't have anything else to do". ATC says "uh huh". So we sit there and talk, and so maybe 1/2 hour later the 310 lands, we fired back up and called in and you want to know what ATC said? I swear its true. "Are you guys finished yet?"

So what I want to know, what would the proper pilot's response be in this situation?

A couple of week's ago I took a family member and my son down to XFL for a fly in lunch at Hijackers. I hadn't flown in a while and the family member is a very experienced pilot. In the past when I was visiting him he would fly me around in his Malibu, so this was an interesting swap as it was the first time I was flying him around.

My son fell asleep about halfway down and I did a beautiful landing, couldn't even feel the mains hit and my son slept through it! I had to wake him up when we shut down. Nailed the return landing too, touched just past the threshold. I think at close to 100 hours and the last 30+ in the same plane I'm getting a really good feel.

So my female friend and I were told to wait for our IFR clearance on the ground at an uncontrolled airport (using the RCO) "until the 310 landed, expect 45 minutes". (there was some other traffic too) My female friend is a pilot and was doing 1/2 the talking (women nowadays huh?) and finishes with "we'll wait, we don't have anything else to do". ATC says "uh huh". So we sit there and talk, and so maybe 1/2 hour later the 310 lands, we fired back up and called in and you want to know what ATC said? I swear its true. "Are you guys finished yet?"

So what I want to know, what would the proper pilot's response be in this situation?

Standby

Lancair 360, N07. It's a lovely little airport, I agree. Great restaurant, too! Did you notice the T-34 holding short? :)

Sunday, while demonstrating an engine out. Very cool for building the passengers confidence!

Latest? Was a month ago, Nov. 13th. (no, wasn't a Friday)
Did 3 touchdowns where we didn't exactly touch ... or at least didn't feel it.
Yes, it surprised me, 3 in a row. The legend goes "3 and someone's lyin'" :)
But my pax said that he felt the 2nd one. Oh well, then 2 greasers in one night. And not in a row either. :( So the challenge stands ... waiting for 3 in a row ... one day. :)

9 out of 10 of my landings are really smooth, and I rarely fly alone. so there are witnesses.

Problem is, I fly a Comanche, and every 10th landing squeezes the grease out of the wheel bearings. I don't know which ones to call the greasers....

Sunday... after 10 weeks of ZERO flying.

Greased an Archer onto a grass strip and then at the home airport too.

A CFI was onboard and verified that it "doesn't get better than that in a taperwing Archer".

I actually surprised myself. Normally my best landings seem to be when I've had some excess time off.

So I guess I shouldn't post a link to my NTSB report here?:redface:

:yes:Put 'er down with some AUTHORITY!!! Need to let that airplane know who's boss!!!

If the passengers don't require immediate medical attention after landing - I've done my job!! :D Mike

That's the way Mike!:lol: I tend to mess mine up on purpose after the greaser is assured, just so the average pilots watching feel better.;)

Wife gave me a 10 on a landing at COU on Nov 30.

Which scale? Richter?:goofy:

My second landing on my first solo. The CFI said with that one he was not even sure I had touched down. I will claim to have done others, but no verification. :p

The first flight I took after my checkride with my wife and sister in law..two landings better any any in the weeks leading up to and during my checkride...precious cargo I guess!

Last night on my way into keye. Was in a piper Seminole. My instructor was in the plane said he didnt know the wheels touched the ground.

Second I just thought of. Was doing my night XC a few weeks ago with CFI. Being late and he was kinda tired he had a can of Monster. He put it on the floor of the plane, and said please do not spill that when you land. It was not spilled.

Before I got my license… & it was a real greaser. The CFI exclaimed, "Unbelievable, you greased it!"… then "Oh, why did you let the nose wheel down so soon…." Happened on Crete in a 152 a day or two before solo in May 2008, I don't know how or why, a great mystery. Hasn't happened since.

A true greaser is an unexplainable event of magic..

Last edited:
In my house, a greaser is a little different than what you guys are talking about, i think. It usually involves a premature trip to the laundry for the ol' undies, with a healthy application of Shout :eek:

But seriously, I had a sweet greaser at KCHK the other day. After the bounce, she glided in slicker than snot.

I had two a weekend or so ago.

The first one was an crosswind two pointer (tailwheel and upwind main gear) at KFFC (where Aircraft Spruce is located).

On the return trip, nobody was in the pattern at KVPC, so coming from the South, I made a straight in approach to 01. I pulled power about 3 miles out, flew a perfect energy management profile, and made a nice soft rolling 3 pointer right on the numbers. Two of my buddies were taxiing out at the time and (unprompted) called it a 9.5 on Unicom.

Last edited:
I had one with the family onboard landing at Hickory, NC the day before Christmas Eve. What made it even better was it was right after breaking out 10' above DH on the ILS. It was real smooth!

I picked up a lady in Kwethluk a few days ago and she said my landing was the smoothest she had ever participated in, and then she said "I'm going to call you Smooth Dave"

I picked up a lady in Kwethluk a few days ago and she said my landing was the smoothest she had ever participated in, and then she said "I'm going to call you Smooth Dave"

this actually isn't a complement for you, it's a criticism of other pilots...:D:D:D

You should autograph the Hasselhoff style photo with that... Smooth Dave... ;)

Took my mother up for her first ride in a small plane yesterday, flew to an airport and made probably the best landing I've ever made. Even she commented that it was a really smooth landing.

Then we flew home. I was just past the numbers and she says "Wow, that landing was smooth too!" I had to inform her we weren't on the ground yet, but 3 seconds later she definitely knew we were on the ground. :lol:

Back