Your latest verified greaser

Landed dad's LSA at 91C on Sunday, and even the passenger commented on how soft it was. Of course, that thing is so easy to land....

Apparently I'm really getting the hang of the clubs Cardinal, cause I made a couple really nice ones last week while taking the family out after christmas. My uncle was taking pictures for the best one and said he didn't realized we had landed cause he was looking through his phone.

Today I went up for some practice in an Arrow while my instructor was in another plane with another student. My 3rd of 8 landings made me smile, and got a compliment over the radio (they were taxiing back). The first one rightfully earned me a little ribbing.

Last week I was doing a mock checkride and the first landing was a total greaser. It was perfect. Even got a comment from the instructor on it.

Then we did the short field work and at this point the wind was becoming variable as we moved on to soft field. On my soft field i was coming in and the wind just decided to stop completely leading to a nice bounce and my deciding I didn't like how things were going and guess it was a good time to demo a go around. I did power, carb heat and flaps in a fairly smooth motion and it just felt like it came naturally, made my go around call and during climb out my instructor was sitting there silent. I then made a comment that I probably could have applied some power and recovered since we had plenty of runway, but it just didn't feel right with also figuring out the winds. He responded back that yes, i could have recovered but my decision wasn't wrong either and that he was more surprised with the go-around and had it been recorded it could have been used in a training video for the plane.

So I would have to say I was more proud of the go-around than the greaser that day. It feels good that its become instinctive rather than a mental checklist of what to do in a go-around and has given me a bit more confidence for the checkride next week.

Made another one the other day when I was taking up another pilot friend. You could feel the landing gear spring out taking the weight of the plane (Cessna 172). Pretty awesome.

Back