Your kitchen gadgets

America's Test Kitchen did a test of different thermometers and recommended the Thermapen MK4.

BTW.. we also have the Thermoworks fridge/freezer alarm which came in handy a few months ago. The fridge we inherited by buying our home was old. One day, the temperature in the fridge was something like 45 degrees. We had to throw out most of the food and decided it was time for a new fridge. We knew it wasn't cooling that well before that and the temps were always a bit warmer than we liked. The fridge/freezer alarm confirmed that the temps we suspected were indeed too high. We have it monitoring the new fridge/freezer and the temps are rock solid where they should be now.

Dead simple to use and highly recommended.

We just received our new Thermapen MK4 to replace our old original Thermapen that my wife accident burned up. We had an off brand "instant" thermometer as a replacement for a bit, which convinced us we needed to go back to the real thing.

Also, I have a nice dual probe grill thermometer with a remote so I can keep an eye on both the internal temperature of the meat, and the grill temperature while I watch the game from inside.

I was smugly thinking “I don’t have kitchen gadgets” and y’all brought up the thermapen. Yep, and a drawer full of lesser probes; individuals, wireless with remote, single, double probe, etc.
Last year my wife grabbed me the Grill Eye Pro that Costco had for a very short time for a very good price.

I have two of the orignal thermopens still going strong. I use them for all kinds of stuff.

It took me a long time to find a true wifi barbecue thermometer. Most that claim they are wifi are infact only bluetooth to your phone and then use the phones networking to go elsewhere. My pig cooker usually gets parked further than bluetooth range from my bedroom.

Thermapen MK4 is from Thermoworks. You'll never over cook a steak with this baby!
Thermopens are great devices. In fact, most of the stuff that Thermoworks makes is quite good - I also have one of their Smoke 2-channel thermometers that I use with the smoker. It doesn't talk to the wifi/internet but for my purposes the wireless function is fine.

I have a Themopop. Got it as present 3-4 years ago and I use it hard. I should upgrade to the Thermopen, but this one works so well I’ll wait until I wear it out. I’d like to get the Smoke, but that may wait a year or so.

I bought 2 Chef Alarms for Christmas presents last year. Those are rock solid.

Can’t go wrong with anything from that company.

We use our Foodsaver a lot, too.

We've got two foodsavers (a relic of us having two houses for a while). It came in handy when I got 40 pounds of fresh chicken leg quarters and we needed to seal them up in short order.

I was thinking today that while having two ovens isn't that unusual (and I use it a lot), I also have two Advantiums (or as I call them, the EZ-Bake ovens as they use a big lightbulb to brown things). I was using both of them today at lunch.

Of course, I have three dishwashers (one in the main kitchen, one in the old kitchen, and one in the bar), an ice maker (bar), four refrigerators (kitchen, old kitchen, bar, outdoor kitchen), four freezers (kitchen, old kitchen, laundry, and bar), and two laundry rooms (one off the master, and the other off the hangar). The old kitchen lacks a proper oven, but it does have one of the advantiums.

Kinda funny, two pages in and the OP who started this thread is almost certainly a spambot, his (its) first and only post.

Back