Your Input is Needed

danielofscots

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel
Hey All,

I've developed a new way to help commercially licensed pilots to get flight hours and cover their expenses, and I'd love to know what you think of it.

If you're commercially licensed, please take 5 minutes to complete the short survey at this link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ODMPilot

Thank you so much for your input! It's much appreciated!

It's just Yet Another Illegal Ride "Sharing" Operation. YAIRSO. So many of these lately that it deserves its own acronym IMO.

Daniel, I'm guessing you're a young, entrepreneurial, aspiring pilot... Good idea, but it's not gonna fly with the FAA. It'd fall under Part 135, and that entails much more than just a commercial pilot certificate and access to a plane.

The survey is far too involved.

You must have a short attention span. It took me only a few minutes to fill out. My favorite part? "What are your concerns?" Me: "It is illegal". :lol:

I do other illegal things too though. ;)

Would be nice ,if it were legal. Uber in the air.

Wasn't time consuming. I just clicked on the first response to every question. :) I only skimmed the questions to see what it's about.

Not sure what I was hoping for. Maybe a new trunk monkey or something.

My company uses these types of surveys for market research too. It's all about finding qualified applicants to take the surveys otherwise they are useless. This one is useless (sorry Daniel). You've got no idea who is taking the survey, whether they are pilots or not and you're probably going to get many fake responses like TazzyTazzy. So here is some unsolicited advice: (Don't you hate it when complete strangers give you unsolicited advice? :lol: ).

First off this is not a new idea and has major problems. Search around and you will see. Secondly, a market survey is all about a qualified list and if you want REAL responses you have to get certificate numbers, etc. For the amount of effort you're going to require you need to reward the survey takers. We always give our gift certificates as well as a grand prize drawing when we do these kinds of things. I sure as heck wouldn't be trolling an internet forum for market research.

Thank you to everyone for your responses, and a special thanks to those who have filled out the survey.

I neglected to include in the survey the (admittedly very important) detail that our company would provide for/facilitate all necessary Part 135 certifications, licensing, etc. I'll fix that.

I am fully aware that similar things have been attempted in the past; however, I believe there is a market need that remains unmet.

I also recognize the unscientific nature of this kind of research. We're still in the investigative stages, and I figured this would be more informative than asking my buddies. :)

Thanks again!

Daniel

It's just Yet Another Illegal Ride "Sharing" Operation. YAIRSO.
You must have missed the part about getting Part 135 certification (which I now see was apparently added later in response to your comment). What wasn't mentioned was who would foot the bill for that certification process, or how the dramatically higher insurance premiums would be covered. As I see it, this basically just takes commercial pilots with their own planes, gets them and their Airolane 135-certified, and then feeds them customers. Legal, but probably not very profitable for the pilot who is probably going to have a lot of trouble meeting overheat expenses.

Last edited:
The cost to certify the pilot AND the pilot's aircraft would be insurmountable considering the amount of maintenance requirements for a part 135 aircraft. Who is paying for that maintenance? And the pilot would have to undergo 6 month line checks, who pays for that? This is not for a pilot who just wants to "build flight hours." This sounds like a shady way to get pilots for next to nothing to fly charters for the company. It is just a 135 charter operation that is trying to limit pilot expenses, even though that is not the biggest expense they would have.

Thank you to everyone for your responses, and a special thanks to those who have filled out the survey.

I neglected to include in the survey the (admittedly very important) detail that our company would provide for/facilitate all necessary Part 135 certifications, licensing, etc. I'll fix that.

I am fully aware that similar things have been attempted in the past; however, I believe there is a market need that remains unmet.

I also recognize the unscientific nature of this kind of research. We're still in the investigative stages, and I figured this would be more informative than asking my buddies. :)

Thanks again!

Daniel

:popcorn: Should be interesting...

I do not think it is. Nice idea though.

Basically the only way to work it would be under the national flying club/FBO model that uses 2 or 3 types/capabilities of aircraft. Basically a manufacturer could make it happen, or government.

Back