Your engine quit, pick a airframe

Engine failure, Which airframe?

• SR22 with BRS

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Skywagon with tundras.

Votes: 50 59.5%

• Total voters
When you pull the chute on a Cirrus SR22, you'll never legally fly the aircraft again. they are life limited, deploy the chute it's over.

Not only wrong, but irrelevant. I hope that if I ever find myself in this scenario, flying that airplane again would not influence my decision and lead me to do something stupid trying to save it.

With that said, given the proposed location, assuming we're talking daytime and vmc conditions, I want the Skywagon.

13 airplanes returned to service.....two of those crashed again. yikes.

How many of those were written off and then bought at salvage prices before being returned to flight?

After going through that list, I was surprised at how many mechanical issues the plane had, no fault of the plane itself but the mechanic. That CAPS system doesn't always work but I'm really glad it's an option in some of these cases. Especially during a midair and if an Aileron falls off. Some of these issues no matter what you were flying, you were going to crash.

I would pick the cirrus I would think by 800 ft you will have a good idea if your landing is going good or bad. If it's still good at 500ft land it if not do whatever it is you do to get the chute out.

If my only criteria in buying an aircraft was an engine out over hostile terrain in IMC scenario, yeah I might choose the Cirrus. However for the type of flying I plan on flying, it would be the Skywagon. Why be a pessimist and make your purchase decision based on worst case scenario and surrender the option to do the type of flying you want to do? Silly concept in my opinion.

When you pull the chute on a Cirrus SR22, you'll never legally fly the aircraft again. they are life limited, deploy the chute it's over.

That's not always true, but even if it was, so what? Who cares? It's not a precious antique. They're all pretty much the same. Get your insurance check and get another one. Cirrus will make more.

I'd like to know the tailwheel/trike pilot split beween the 185/Cirrus votes.

Heck, I wonder how many guys who said Skywagon have any real time in one! I've had mine for 20 years and I say Cirrus!

Heck, I wonder how many guys who said Skywagon have any real time in one! I've had mine for 20 years and I say Cirrus!

I'd also like to know how many choose the Skywagon because it sounds tough and cool and goes with the majority in this thread?

I suspect if anyone of us were facing an emergency the last thing anyone would think is "I'm grateful this thing doesn't have a more safety features".

I'd also like to know how many choose the Skywagon because it sounds tough and cool and goes with the majority in this thread?

fwiw - I have zero time in the cirrus and zero tw time and voted in the first dozen or so....

Back