Your daily, "Can I log that?" question.

david0tey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fox-Three
Long story short: Dad's friend just bought a Turbo Commander for business. I am working on IR. The pilot they hired to fly their plane is my former CFI. Dad's friend said I can sit right seat whenever I want. Can I log that as instruction time? Or since I'm not paying the pro rata share, and I'm not commercial rated, I can't? What say you?

Does your former CFI have his MEI?

Pro rata share applies to cost splitting between the pilot and the passengers. You're not even a pilot in this situation (regardless of what type of certificate you hold). You can log instruction received if the CFI is qualified to give it.

Of course, Dad's friend ought to check with his insurance company about the coverage for all this ancillary activity going on while the plane is being flown.

CFI would be qualified to give instruction in that aircraft. My question is more so regarding the legality in terms of using a business aircraft for training purposes.

As long as the CFI is an MEI,there should be no problem. Most of the time the right seat pilot works the radio.

Sweet! Now if the FAA asks, I can just say that Keating told me it was ok.;)

CFI would be qualified to give instruction in that aircraft. My question is more so regarding the legality in terms of using a business aircraft for training purposes.

Depends on what you mean by "business aircraft".
If the pilot is hired as a company pilot for the companies airplane, operating under part 91, then he can give instruction along the way. But if the Company has made the aircraft a public passenger carrying operation under part 135, then no training can occur. No person may touch the controls except designated qualified pilots.

Part 135 issues notwithstanding, that's not an FAA issue. As long as that instructor is giving you training and signs your logbook for the training given, the FAA will be OK. Whether your dad's friend's accountant or the IRS will be OK is another story entirely, but that's between your dad's friend and your dad's friend's accountant.

Long story short: Dad's friend just bought a Turbo Commander for business. I am working on IR. The pilot they hired to fly their plane is my former CFI. Dad's friend said I can sit right seat whenever I want. Can I log that as instruction time? Or since I'm not paying the pro rata share, and I'm not commercial rated, I can't? What say you?

Sure, if you are actually getting instruction and flying, you bet. I got BE-18 time towards my PP by copping rides with the freight guy who was an MEI.

Sure, if you are actually getting instruction and flying, you bet. I got BE-18 time towards my PP by copping rides with the freight guy who was an MEI.
Unless you were a designated co-pilot for that company, your "freight guy" was violating 14 CFR 135.115:
Sec. 135.115

Manipulation of controls.

No pilot in command may allow any person to manipulate the flight controls of an aircraft during flight conducted under this part, nor may any person manipulate the controls during such flight unless that person is--
(a) A pilot employed by the certificate holder and qualified in the aircraft; or
(b) An authorized safety representative of the Administrator who has the permission of the pilot in command, is qualified in the aircraft, and is checking flight operations.
...and your logbook with his signature would be the documentary proof of that violation. Or was this some sort of "fly-by-night" outfit operating without a certificate?

Not sure if that existed 25 years ago, I sure didn't know about it back then, and all the DPE did was chuckle over it. :dunno:

Not sure if that existed 25 years ago, I sure didn't know about it back then, and all the DPE did was chuckle over it. :dunno:
Amazing how many pilots, both the 135-certified guys and the "time builders" looking to log the time don't know that. I recently reviewed the logbooks of an ATP applicant who had copilot time on charter trips and SIC time in jets for which he didn't have the requisite 61.55 training. His response was, "you mean if somebody asks me to fly copilot with him, I have to know whether I can do it or not?":rolleyes:

Amazing how many pilots, both the 135-certified guys and the "time builders" looking to log the time don't know that. I recently reviewed the logbooks of an ATP applicant who had copilot time on charter trips and SIC time in jets for which he didn't have the requisite 61.55 training. His response was, "you mean if somebody asks me to fly copilot with him, I have to know whether I can do it or not?":rolleyes:

It didn't seem to bother anyone. Heck, I was student pilot with 8-12 hrs where those .3s exist. It was a freight operator and I was riding with the chief pilot who I give rides to with the shore boat, and he gives me rides to LGB to save me paying the 152 coming to pick me up. People didn't really seem to care, and the plane was always empty heading back to town, so I guess technically it would have been Pt 91 anyway.

What do you want to log it as? Dual received? The restrictions in 61.113 apply to acting as PIC. You won't be acting as PIC, so even you log and the hours are considered compensation (for what?) they wouldn't be compensation for acting as PIC.

Unless you were a designated co-pilot for that company, your "freight guy" was violating 14 CFR 135.115:
...and your logbook with his signature would be the documentary proof of that violation. Or was this some sort of "fly-by-night" outfit operating without a certificate?

It did -- it was in the regs even when I was flying 135 ten years before that.

It didn't seem to bother anyone. Heck, I was student pilot with 8-12 hrs where those .3s exist. It was a freight operator and I was riding with the chief pilot who I give rides to with the shore boat, and he gives me rides to LGB to save me paying the 152 coming to pick me up. People didn't really seem to care, and the plane was always empty heading back to town, so I guess technically it would have been Pt 91 anyway.

Even more fun, if henning used any of that time for his rating requirement he obtained it illegally, it would call for a revocation of all of his certificates.

Be careful what you are admitting.........:rolleyes:

As long as the 'instruction' flights were dead-heads (no people/cargo for hire on board), then you were operating Part 91 and it is OK. That is how I did it ;)

As long as the 'instruction' flights were dead-heads (no people/cargo for hire on board), then you were operating Part 91 and it is OK. That is how I did it ;)
Me, too. But night freight operators don't fly empty very often.

Even more fun, if henning used any of that time for his rating requirement he obtained it illegally, it would call for a revocation of all of his certificates.

Be careful what you are admitting.........:rolleyes:

Interesting. I did not know if time acquired for the purpose of meeting aeronautical experience had to be obtained "legally".
For instance, if instrument time were acquired scud running or on a clearance but not qualified, etc...did not know the part 61 requirements had to be judged as legally obtained.

But then, there's no dual time requirement for the ME add -on anyway.

Interesting. I did not know if time acquired for the purpose of meeting aeronautical experience had to be obtained "legally".
For instance, if instrument time were acquired scud running or on a clearance but not qualified, etc...did not know the part 61 requirements had to be judged as legally obtained.

You are misinterpreting what I am saying.

On a 14 CFR Part 135 flight in a single pilot aircraft, the PIC cannot allow someone to sit in the right seat and manipulate the controls. Furthermore, if that individual does sit in the right seat and manipulate the controls, and logs this time in furtherance of a certificate (cross country time, night, etc) and this comes to light to the FAA, then the Agency can use this for revocation of the airman's certificate since he had violated regulations (135) to obtain this flight time.

You are misinterpreting what I am saying.

On a 14 CFR Part 135 flight in a single pilot aircraft, the PIC cannot allow someone to sit in the right seat and manipulate the controls. Furthermore, if that individual does sit in the right seat and manipulate the controls, and logs this time in furtherance of a certificate (cross country time, night, etc) and this comes to light to the FAA, then the Agency can use this for revocation of the airman's certificate since he had violated regulations (135) to obtain this flight time.
I think we all know the PIC in that situation is violating 135.115, but which regulation does the passenger who manipulates the controls violate either by manipulating the controls or applying that time to FAA certificate/rating aeronautical experience requirements?

I think we all know the PIC in that situation is violating 135.115, but which regulation does the passenger who manipulates the controls violate either by manipulating the controls or applying that time to FAA certificate/rating aeronautical experience requirements?

Not to mention violating 135.293 as well.

Last edited:

Not to mention violating 135.293 as well.
I'm not saying I think it shows good moral character for someone who knows the rules to be doing what Henning did (and as a Student Pilot at the time, one would not expect him to know those rules), but for someone other than an ATP (which IIRC Henning is not anyway)...

The PIC might be violating 135.115 regarding manipulation of the controls, but I don't see how a passenger not assigned as a crewmember would be violating 135.293 regarding pilot testing requirements by touching the controls with the PIC's permission (that permission being necessary to avoid a 135.120 "interfering" violation on the passenger's part).

As for 61.59, I'm not seeing any falsification there, either -- Henning really was receiving training from that instructor in that aircraft. I don't see how the fact that Part 135 was being violated by that instructor affects the legality of Henning's logging of the time IAW 61.51 on pilot logbooks. Would a Student Pilot be violating 61.59 if s/he logged the time while flying solo with less than 3 miles visibility? Yes, the 61.87 limitations on Student Pilots were violated, and probably 61.155 regarding VFR flight weather mins, too, but there was no falsification involved -- s/he really did fly that time, just as Henning really did receive that training from an authorized instructor, even if some Part 135 rules (but no Part 61 rules) were being violated by that instructor in doing so.

So maybe that's why the DPE who saw his logbook just chuckled and moved on. :dunno:

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't see the 61.59 violation if he truly was receiving instruction.

Also, (though surely this isn't what happened), if the 135 prohibition is against manipulation of controls, there's nothing preventing legitimate dual given (he wouldn't have been able to log PIC anyway) for flight instruction that just happens to consist entirely of demonstrating maneuvers and talking through procedures while the CFI does all the flying, is there?

I'm not saying I think it shows good moral character for someone who knows the rules to be doing what Henning did (and as a Student Pilot at the time, one would not expect him to know those rules), but for someone other than an ATP (which IIRC Henning is not anyway)...

The PIC might be violating 135.115 regarding manipulation of the controls, but I don't see how a passenger not assigned as a crewmember would be violating 135.293 regarding pilot testing requirements by touching the controls with the PIC's permission (that permission being necessary to avoid a 135.120 "interfering" violation on the passenger's part).

As for 61.59, I'm not seeing any falsification there, either -- Henning really was receiving training from that instructor in that aircraft. I don't see how the fact that Part 135 was being violated by that instructor affects the legality of Henning's logging of the time IAW 61.51 on pilot logbooks. Would a Student Pilot be violating 61.59 if s/he logged the time while flying solo with less than 3 miles visibility? Yes, the 61.87 limitations on Student Pilots were violated, and probably 61.155 regarding VFR flight weather mins, too, but there was no falsification involved -- s/he really did fly that time, just as Henning really did receive that training from an authorized instructor, even if some Part 135 rules (but no Part 61 rules) were being violated by that instructor in doing so.

So maybe that's why the DPE who saw his logbook just chuckled and moved on. :dunno:

61.59: If that time was logged and used for a rating requirement, then that individual made an "intentional false entry in any logbook" "used to show compliance with any requirement for the issuance or exercise of the privileges of any certificate".

Paragraph B " The commission of an act prohibited under para (a) of this section is a basis for suspending or revoking any airman certificate, rating, or authorization held by that person."

135.293: For s SIC to serve on a 14 CFR Part 135 aircraft he/she must have a ".293 check" in order to manipulate the controls. If said pilot has the .293 check then he/she can legally log the time, without it they are merely a passenger.

FWIW, this has created an enforcement in the past where as a pilot was sitting right seat without a .293 check logging time and used that time for a rating. The 135 Operator, the PIC and the right seat pilot all became recipients of an enforcement.

The reality of this is it does happen. My point being if someone did this I damn sure wouldn't be on the internet broadcasting it. :rolleyes2:

Also, (though surely this isn't what happened), if the 135 prohibition is against manipulation of controls, there's nothing preventing legitimate dual given (he wouldn't have been able to log PIC anyway) for flight instruction that just happens to consist entirely of demonstrating maneuvers and talking through procedures while the CFI does all the flying, is there?
I don't see any violation of Part 135 there, either, as long as nobody but the assigned pilot touches anything. Whether that constitutes legitimate training is a rather more subjective discussion, but the Aviation Instructor's Handbook does include the Explanation and Demonstration phases (which do not involve the training doing anything but watching and listening) in the Demonstration-Performance method of instruction, and that's what it sounds like you're describing -- just stopping short of the Student Performance phase.

Yeah, I don't see the 61.59 violation if he truly was receiving instruction.

Under what part of 14 CFR Part 135 can a PIC give flight training while conducting a revenue flight?

Again, we are talking about a 14 CFR Part 135 flight. Under what part of 14 CFR Part 135 can a PIC give flight training while conducting a revenue flight?

61.59: If that time was logged and used for a rating requirement, then that individual made an "intentional false entry in any logbook" "used to show compliance with any requirement for the issuance or exercise of the privileges of any certificate".
What's false about the entry? Henning was receiving training from an authorized instructor. The fact that the instructor was violating a Part 135 regulation doesn't play into it in any way I can see.

135.293: For s SIC to serve on a 14 CFR Part 135 aircraft he/she must have a ".293 check" in order to manipulate the controls. If said pilot has the .293 check then he/she can legally log the time, without it they are merely a passenger.
I'm looking in 61.51 where it says that one cannot log time while considered a passenger, but I can't find it. OTOH, there's a lot of interpretations on the point of logging time under 61.51 without being a crewmember, i.e., while technically a passenger.

FWIW, this has created an enforcement in the past where as a pilot was sitting right seat without a .293 check logging time and used that time for a rating. The 135 Operator, the PIC and the right seat pilot all became recipients of an enforcement.
I'd be interested to read that case. Was that "right seat pilot" an employee of the 135 operator? And what regulation was cited as being violated, and on what basis?

The reality of this is it does happen. My point being if someone did this I damn sure wouldn't be on the internet broadcasting it. :rolleyes2:
I agree with you 100% on that.

Under what part of 14 CFR Part 135 can a PIC give flight training while conducting a revenue flight?

Again, we are talking about a 14 CFR Part 135 flight. Under what part of 14 CFR Part 135 can a PIC give flight training while conducting a revenue flight?
Those section of Part 135 may apply to the PIC giving the training, but do they apply to the recipient of the training? I see nothing in Part 61 which either the instructor or the recipient would be violating. IOW, if a 135 pilot lets a passenger fly the plane, would an enforcement action be initiated against the passenger? I kind of doubt it.

What's false about the entry? Henning was receiving training from an authorized instructor. The fact that the instructor was violating a Part 135 regulation doesn't play into it in any way I can see.

henning was acting as a crewmember without a .293 check.

I'm looking in 61.51 where it says that one cannot log time while considered a passenger, but I can't find it. OTOH, there's a lot of interpretations on the point of logging time under 61.51 without being a crewmember, i.e., while technically a passenger.

We are talking Part 135 and manipulation of controls. No .293 check and you don't touch the controls, period. If you do, and log that time for another certificate , then you are now liable for a 61.59 violation.

I'd be interested to read that case. Was that "right seat pilot" an employee of the 135 operator? And what regulation was cited as being violated, and on what basis?

You won't read it because it never was appealed. The operator was allowing pilots to ride right seat and " build time" (unpaid). However, he made the mistake of letting the pilots fly during revenue flights and never did a .293 check on them. The pilot in question used his flight time to obtain an ATP, knowing he obtained it without the proper authorizations.

So off the top of my head it was:

Those section of Part 135 may apply to the PIC giving the training, but do they apply to the recipient of the training? I see nothing in Part 61 which either the instructor or the recipient would be violating. IOW, if a 135 pilot lets a passenger fly the plane, would an enforcement action be initiated against the passenger? I kind of doubt it.

Depends. Can the passenger log the time as dual and use it to obtain a rating?

Also, Part 135 makes no provision to give "flight training" during revenue flights, so how can the PIC sign the log book as dual given unless he falsifies the entry?

Last edited:
Depends. Can the passenger log the time as dual and use it to obtain a rating?
I can't find any regulation which says "no". Perhaps you can point to one in Part 61 which specifically addresses that question.
Also, Part 135 makes no provision to give "flight training" during revenue flights, so how can the PIC sign the log book as dual given unless he falsifies the entry?
I agree that might possibly be considered falsification by the PIC/CFI signing the entry, but not the Student Pilot trainee, who cannot be expected to know the regulations of Part 135.
Sec. 135.115

Manipulation of controls.

No pilot in command may allow any person to manipulate the flight controls of an aircraft during flight conducted under this part, nor may any person manipulate the controls during such flight unless that person is--
(a) A pilot employed by the certificate holder and qualified in the aircraft; or
(b) An authorized safety representative of the Administrator who has the permission of the pilot in command, is qualified in the aircraft, and is checking flight operations.
I'm still not seeing how that regulation applies to the passenger touching the controls when that passenger is not an employee of the operator and not a "crewmember" as defined in the regulations:
Crewmember means a person assigned to perform duty in an aircraft during flight time.

Last edited:
You won't read it because it never was appealed. The operator was allowing pilots to ride right seat and " build time" (unpaid). However, he made the mistake of letting the pilots fly during revenue flights and never did a .293 check on them.
It appears those pilots were employees of the operator, which I believe puts them in a different legal position (specifically, a crewmember, as defined above) rather than a mere passenger, as Henning was.

I can't find any regulation which says "no". Perhaps you can point to one in Part 61 which specifically addresses that question.
I agree that might possibly be considered falsification by the PIC/CFI signing the entry, but not the Student Pilot trainee, who cannot be expected to know the regulations of Part 135.
I'm still not seeing how that regulation applies to the passenger touching the controls when that passenger is not an employee of the operator and not a "crewmember" as defined in the regulations:

I thought the question was a student pilot logging flight time while manipulating the controls of an aircraft operating under Part 135? :dunno:

I've pointed out the regulation the student pilot is violating *if* he uses the time to obtain a rating.

I've pointed out the regulation the PIC is violating (manipulation of controls) to allow the student pilot to fly.

I've pointed out the regulation the operator has violated allowing the student pilot to operate the aircraft (135.293)

Not to mention the PIC and operator can be hit by 91.13.

Last edited:
I've pointed out the regulation the student pilot is violating *if* he uses the time to obtain a rating.
You've pointed out a regulation you say the Student Pilot is violating (61.59), but not how that violation is being regulated by that Student Pilot who is not an employee of the operator, i.e., how that entry constitutes falsification, since it appears to be compliant with 61.51 regarding pilot logbooks. That's the part I'm not following.

Makes no difference.
That I do not accept. As I said before, if a passenger (not an employee of the operator) were sitting in the other control seat (permissible under some conditions under 135), and the PIC says "Here, take the controls", is the passenger really violating the regulations by doing so? Can you show me anything in writing from either AGC or AFS, or any precedent case which suggests so?

That I do not accept. As I said before, if a passenger (not an employee of the operator) were sitting in the other control seat (permissible under some conditions under 135), and the PIC says "Here, take the controls", is the passenger really violating the regulations by doing so? Can you show me anything in writing from either AGC or AFS, or any precedent case which suggests so?

I never said the passenger was violating 135.115. :dunno:

Back