Your Best tail wind ????

Eamon

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Eamon
What's the best tail wind you can remember?

Here is a shot from when I first got my 182 before I did the panel. I was going back to NY from Montana just crossing into Iowa form South Dakota. It looks like 14,000 level 100 kts airspeed & 191kts over the ground.

Once on a flight from S49 ( Vale Or.) to Russellville, Ark. I was at about 10.000 ft. and my ground speed was 195 m/h in a 1959 182. On the same trip going home I saw one of 71m/h over Saratoga, Wy. So I've seen the highs and the lows.

Last month across the middle of Iowa I showed a ground speed of 225 knots for about 30 minutes at 10000. My TAS at the time was about 145. 80 knots almost directly on the tail. The whole trip was a record 4 hours flat. Coming home 4 days later with about 5 on the nose took 5:20. Would have found more by climbing. The big guys were sure complaining.

Eric

Last edited:
Eamon said:

About 70 kts at 17,000' last spring from Dallas (Lancaster) to Cincinnati. About 150 kts TAS, 220 kts GS in the Commander.

Eamon said:

Just puttering around in the CE172 winds were 5kts on the ground. Unforecast low level jet was around 3000 AGL. Took forever to get half way to Denver. Slow flight was backwards. 360 turns looked like a spirograph. Turned around and headed direct to the BRK VOR. ASI=95kts DME=140kts. Surface winds picked up to something like 25G39. LLWS advisories shortly afterward.

From 9D9 to LOM last month. Level at 9,000 I had
TAS = 117-118kts
GS = 162kts

TW component of 45kts

Best tailwind and headwind same day, flying to LYH last February. Skyhawk, 100 KIA, 145 GS going up, 55 GS going back. On the way back, cars on the interstate were faster.

Eamon said:

Tail Wind?? You've gotta be kidding. I thought there was a law of nature that says I have to have a head wind when ever I go somewhere.

A typical trip for trip for me is something like 135-140 Knots airspeed and 100-110 knots ground speed.

Jeannie ~ Wondering why the wind direction always seems to reverse itself for the return trip. :confused:

Last edited:
Maverick said:
Tail Wind?? You've gotta be kidding. I thought there was a law of nature that says I have to have a head wind when ever I go somewhere.

A typical trip for trip for me is something like 135-140 Knots airspeed and 100-110 knots ground speed.

Jeannie ~ Wondering why the wind direction always seems to reverse itself for the return trip. :confused:
LOL Jennie.

I remember many times thinking that same thing. Especially heading westbound from NY. Every dam time I would go to CHicago I would look at my GPS thinkin it HAD to be broken. 13 GPH for 85 kts over the ground??? LOL

last March, returning from out West, over Ohio, probably at 27 thousand in a TBM 700:

75 knots on the tail, groundspeed 352 knots

See Garmin 530 photo below, ground speed in lower sight box, wind component just to the left of groundspeed.

I've also seen 115 knots on the nose going into Tuscon... The down side of flight level flying.

Somewhere over or around MQI at about 1,000. C172 showed 110 indicated with the GPS showing 150. The slowest slowflight was 3b2 - PA28 showed 55 indicated and GPS showed -10. Backed up all the way to PVC :)

Flying to Cape Cod a few years ago in my Skyhawk Cape Approach suddenly called and asked my destination. I told him PVC, again. He said "OK, I thought it looked like you turned around." I said "I'm a Skyhawk with a headwind - I very well could be flying backwards!"

Coming back from one trip in Vermont, between ALB and AVP, 160 knots GS in a c172. Tail wind westbound? How'd that happen?

Jim G

BillG said:
Flying to Cape Cod a few years ago in my Skyhawk Cape Approach suddenly called and asked my destination. I told him PVC, again. He said "OK, I thought it looked like you turned around." I said "I'm a Skyhawk with a headwind - I very well could be flying backwards!"

My "best" tailwind" was when I was heading west over South Dakota and I climbed from a 20 Kt headwind into a 15 Kt tailwind that defied all logic.

The strongest was coming home from Steamboat one winter day I caught a TW close to 75 Kt for a while giving me a shade under 250 Kt GS.

Worst headwind

For the worst headwind I remember two.

One about four years ago on the way to Alamogordo, NM our ground speed down to 55 knot with a 145 TAS. This was at 13,000 near Las Vegas, NM. Heard later that there was quite a bit if straight line wind damage in the Texas Panhandle.

The other trip was as strong but lasted much longer. Trying to get to Santa Maria, CA for Christmas. Head wind the whole way, never less than 30 knots. From Alamosa, CO to Farmingtion, NM the ground speed was down to 70. Finally went down on the deck around 4 corners and finally saw over 100 on the GPS. After 9 hours into a normal 7 hour trip, we gave up at St George, UT and finished the last leg in the morning.

Eric

Have I put this pic up here before? Look at the GS speed on the M-3 GPS--was truing about 190 at FL250.

Guess what airplane. Let me know if you want a panel shot!!

Best,

Dave

Eamon said:

Flying over WI enroute to Mackinac Island, MI two years ago in the Arrow - GPS-GS = 211 K. True maybe 140.
Eric
________
Old man movies

Last edited:
Dave Siciliano said:
Have I put this pic up here before? Look at the GS speed on the M-3 GPS--was truing about 190 at FL250.

Best,

Dave

Dunno. But I'd like to "borrow" it and your tools too. Got anything else I might want? Please Fedex ASAP to:

I.M.A. Mooch
c/o Supreme Court of the U.S.
Washington, D.C.

:rofl:

A couple years ago (+/-) I was riding a United flight from NRT to SEA and the flight route display was showing something near 200 mph on the tail. If our ground speed had been air speed, we were supersonic (about 750 mph over the ground). Made it home well ahead of schedule. FL 350 or so, and I was riding in one of those aluminum tubes, so I guess it doesn't really count, but... :D

Trying not to get caught in a thunderstorm that was coming directly behind me, and chasing me to my diversion airport, I once experienced a 199knot ground speed in a skyhawk. The airspeed was probably about 110 I'm guessing. Had it not been for the thunderstorm, that would have been fun.

Eamon said:
Here is a shot from when I first got my 182 before I did the panel. I was going back to NY from Montana just crossing into Iowa form South Dakota. It looks like 14,000 level 100 kts airspeed & 191kts over the ground.

Eamon-- Did you remove the picture? I don't see one attached.

Troy Whistman said:
Eamon-- Did you remove the picture? I don't see one attached.
Humm, I am not sure, Maybe i just forgot to post it. LOL Here it is......

Lessee, DCA to Berlin, NH in the Winter at FL230. True was 300 knots, GS was 450. Not bad for the King Air. I've also done 180 knots over the ground going the other way. :hairraise:

Dave Siciliano said:

Best,

Dave

Dave, didn't you have a pic showing 300 knots GS? This might have been the same one. Thought it was showing off the TN A36. :)

AirBaker said:
Dave, didn't you have a pic showing 300 knots GS? This might have been the same one. Thought it was showing off the TN A36. :)

==========================================================

Somewhere, there's a pic of 300 knot GS in the A-36, but this was easier to get my hands on!!

Yes, it was in the TN A-36.

The P Baron is certified to FL250; we'll see what we get in it goin east sometime!! it should true out a bit faster than the A-36.

BTW, the ground speed above was at less than 16 GPH fuel burn---figure out the miles per gallon on that trip :yes:

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

I picked up 150 kts at 13,000' en route between Sacramento and Salt Lake City in my Mooney one March. Literally took longer to get the rental car in Salt Lake City than the flight time.

Dave;

Yup; those Colllins radios and that great North Star; It was in your A36. 206 knot is what I can read.

Best ground speed I have ever flown with is 305 knots in a early Baron 58 from ROC to BED in 1973. We were at 15k. It was great flying on the right side navigating and "yup we have gone by that fix". What a blast. The next one best tail wind was in a turbo Arrow from BWI to BED at 13k 230 knots in 1987. Nose bag and all it was really fun to see the ground disappear under the wing.

john j

310 kts in the 185 knot Mooney coming back from FXE where Charlie Hinojosa just strip-sealed my tanks. One of the big hurricanes was just threatening to come ashore in the panama city area (1995?!) and I caught the CCW anticyclone, back to Peoria. Unbelievable.

coming home in front of a storm from Kentucky to NC; 160kts in the traveler.

About 45 kts at 3000 feet on my night cross country flight. Showed 140 kts ground speed on the way there, 50 on the way back. We were following I-76, watching the cars pass us like we were sitting still. Turb was a bear, too. One of the rougher flights I've had. But, I have seen 140 kts in a C-152. Not everyone can say that LOL.

Any tailwind is my best tailwind. Coming back from Morehaed City, N.C. I was seeing 160 knots GS, so prolly, 25 knots tailwind.

John J said:
Dave;

Yup; those Colllins radios and that great North Star; It was in your A36. 206 knot is what I can read.

Best ground speed I have ever flown with is 305 knots in a early Baron 58 from ROC to BED in 1973. We were at 15k. It was great flying on the right side navigating and "yup we have gone by that fix". What a blast. The next one best tail wind was in a turbo Arrow from BWI to BED at 13k 230 knots in 1987. Nose bag and all it was really fun to see the ground disappear under the wing.

john j

John: That actually says 273 if you look real close!!

Dave

Correction. The one in the thumbnail says 289 on the way to CHO (Charlottesville, VA). We were vectored for traffic shortly after that and got up to 300 knots on the GPS!! Pretty good in a single engine recip!!

Best,

Dave

Dave;

Thank you.I did look real close and yes 273. Wow 300k is quite a feat in the A36. That is moving down the road. I bet you will see some pretty interesting numbers in the 58P.

John J

Back