Your best open cockpit ride?

Nostalgair

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Nostalgair
Hi All,

I had an incredible flight in a scarlet Stearman as part of an article I was writing.

I have been lucky enough to have owned a deHavilland Tiger Moth and flown a few open cockpit types, but I must admit, the Stearman was a great experience. A sunny day, along the beach, past picnickers and a lighthouse. Perfect!

What was your best open cockpit ride?

Cheers,

Owen

Stearman1.jpg

This.
Although our ferry pilot might disagree. We bought her in California, ferried over to Florida (30 hours and 28 fuel stops). New owner came over, flew twice with the CFI, said he won't be able to manage the landings by himself any time soon (veeery articulated mains, non-lockable, non-stearable tailwheel = "fun" landings), sell it.
Sold her. Back to California. Same pilot flew her back.
Flies like a Cub, but landings on hard surface with any kind of crosswind require knowing what you are doing.

Attachments

• 5260492263_026bb80479_b.jpg
    5260492263_026bb80479_b.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 55
That's a fine-looking aircraft Max.

Having read Richard Bach's book 'Biplane', flying across the US is on my 'Bucket List'. (I have done it, but I don't think an airliner really counts. :))

Cheers,

Owen

http://amphibianair.com/

Has an absolute blast. Had floats, made low level flying over water a nonevent. Didn't get much time on the controls though.

Besides that, flying my parachute is a lot of fun. One of my favorite things to do is jump at sunset and pull a few seconds out the door (about 13,500), spending the next 10 minutes with the canopy in brakes just hanging out. You feel temperature inversions and all of the other things in the air. It's quiet and peaceful. Some guys will put a beer or two in their pockets to drink on the way down.

This is a picture I took with a couple of friends on one of these sunset jumps:
bKX4FsDl.jpg

Open cockpit AND floats.....

That sounds like a winner on two fronts. :)

Cheers,

Owen

I guess my best open cockpit ride would be my only one and that was in a Stearman this past March at Fantasy of Flight in Polk City FL. Awesome ride.

A series of early morning flights in my old Maule, with the pilot door removed (Any 1 of the Maule's 4 doors can be removed for flight per the manual). I was commuting between my home strip and KHNZ for the final assembly and test flights on my '10.

Calm air, often with scattered fog, with the first rays of sunlight peeking over the horizon. I watched migrant farmers harvest a set of fields. Investigated various fires while perfecting my turns around a point.

Had to abort the flight and return home when I found the destination fogged over. On more than a few occasions, I could look down and clearly see the runway and wave to the airport manager as he walked his dogs, but couldn't land.

I always brought dog treats for the 3 airport dogs. Soon the pack leader learned to come out and greet me as I landed. At first I thought he was chasing the plane and was afraid I might hit him. Soon I learned that he was only trying to get behind me during the taxi in. I poked my head out of the door and could see he was only trying to get behind me so he could smell whether the expected treats were on board. Damn beagle noses!

Never had any better Maule flights than the ones just before I gave her up.

I flew a N3N from Georgetown, TX to Twin Falls, ID a couple years ago. The leg from Farmington, NM to SLC with a stop at Moab for fuel was really cool. Up the Monument Valley and the rock formations in Moab and the trench from Price to Provo was spectacular. The 10 1/2 hrs in the seat that day with moderate turbulence was not so spectacular.
I have been flying open cockpit bi planes for over 30 years and have given hundreds of rides. I haven't had a passenger yet that didn't have a big grin on their face when the flight was over. If you have a chance to fly one take it.
If any of you are in the Nampa, Idaho area June 29-30 the Warhawk museum is having their annual fund raiser with sponsorship rides available in 2 N3Ns, 2 P-40s, 4 or 5 P51s, P-47, L-19 and other warbirds. This is a great show and a really nice museum. 208-465-6446 for info. Don

I love open air flying. As Brandon mentioned parachutes are great fun. Switched from skydiving to paragliding so I can fly for hours. Flew in a powered parachute, brilliant visibility, poor mans helicopter. Flying helicopters I'd take the doors off whenever possible, for the openness. Cubs aren't bad, visibility all around ain't great but the door puts it ahead of most airplanes. Never flown in an open biplane, probably be annoyed trying to look past all the wing. I'd guess the perfect toy airplane is an aircam on amphibs.

I've flown the Navion with the canopy open a couple of times.

I have had three rides in Stearmans, all great experiences. The best one was in a Red Baron Stearman Squadron aircraft years ago. We did some fun aerobatics. The pilot told me these VIP rides were usually pretty tame but he said he would go as far as I wanted.

I had a great laugh when we were fired up and taxiing. The pilot reviewed emergency procedures, telling me "If we have to leave the aircraft, I will say 'Bail out, bail out bail out.' Unstrap yourself, use the handholds on the wing to help you get clear of the aircraft, and once you are in freefall pull the D-ring on the harness."

Can you imagine the reaction of a Kroger manager upon hearing this? "Leave the aircraft? WTF do you mean?"

:rofl: :rofl:

My only open cockpit ride was in a Ryan STA from the Picaran field to MTN many years ago. Amazing flight down along the rivers and a loop thrown in too.

A series of early morning flights in my old Maule, with the pilot door removed (Any 1 of the Maule's 4 doors can be removed for flight per the manual). I was commuting between my home strip and KHNZ for the final assembly and test flights on my '10.

Calm air, often with scattered fog, with the first rays of sunlight peeking over the horizon. I watched migrant farmers harvest a set of fields. Investigated various fires while perfecting my turns around a point.

Yes, there is something very special about flight at the beginning and the close of the day. I can remember a few chilly mornings too without a canopy or a heater. :)

Cheers,

Owen

I've been up in this Waco a couple times. Unfortunately, just as a passenger.

Attachments

• 375 Snoopy.jpg
    375 Snoopy.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 10
Front seat in a Pietenpol a few years back. It was a clear late Sept morning, and we took off about dawn. Not too fast, so the air noise was low, and the we just tootled around in smooth air for about an hour. Stopped for a fat pill(donut) and some coffee then back to the hanger.

Waco YMF with my son who was 8 at the time! Just a guy that stopped by the gliderport one afternoon when we were out soaring. He took us for a wonderful ride in his beautiful Waco.

Attachments

• Waco_AJ_LJ2_web.jpg
    Waco_AJ_LJ2_web.jpg
    628.6 KB · Views: 9
The Waco is a great airplane and those 'three-seaters' lend themselves wonderfully to scenic flights.

Cheers,

Owen

In 2011 I purchased the very same Stearman my father had given me my first airplane ride in when I was 5. Almost 30 years to the day,I lifted off the grass at Olson Airport near Chicago and spent the next 5 gorgeous days flying it across the country back to WA state.

Every flight is a priviledge, but the first one was hard to describe. I still find myself looking out at the wings and struts and marvelling of what I'm doing.

Mike-

I've flown the Navion with the canopy open a couple of times.
I love flying with the canopy open in the SNJ/T-6.....problem is that I can usually only do it for a little while before the guy in the back begs me to close it. The back seat gets a whole lot of forced air blowing through when the forward canopy is open.

I guess you can call this an open cockpit. Every flight in the Breezy is a great flight. The best are up and down the beach and flying around the NY harbor.

Mike in NJ

In 2011 I purchased the very same Stearman my father had given me my first airplane ride in when I was 5. Almost 30 years to the day,I lifted off the grass at Olson Airport near Chicago and spent the next 5 gorgeous days flying it across the country back to WA state.

Every flight is a priviledge, but the first one was hard to describe. I still find myself looking out at the wings and struts and marvelling of what I'm doing.

Mike-

A great story Mike.

Airplanes, like people, can go the full circle. :)

Cheers,

Owen

Stearman, hands down! Although I'm biased, since that's the only one I've flown. I'm dying to get my hands on a Waco

29301_1357669030835_515976_n.jpg

My best was a hopper ride in a Weatherly or N, been so long I forgot which. Mucho fun, particularly when he pushed over and I floated up out of the hopper...!

Stearman, hands down! Although I'm biased, since that's the only one I've flown. I'm dying to get my hands on a Waco

29301_1357669030835_515976_n.jpg

Great photo!

Yes, I love the Stearman, but I'd like a look at a Waco too. :)

Cheers,

Owen

Giving my younger brother a ride in the N3N on a nice summer evening last year.

Attachments

• 739800_10200171501272329_989375334_o.jpg
    739800_10200171501272329_989375334_o.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 4
Back in the late 80's, when I was a line guy, I got to ride in a Stearman with the Red Baron Pizza team. No acro, but a bunch of formation changes. Awesome flight.

Cool, upwards of $200.00/hour for dual in a glorified ultralight amphib trainer.... GA has arrived!

The fees are appropriate, especially on saltwater.

http://amphibianair.com/

Has an absolute blast. Had floats, made low level flying over water a nonevent. Didn't get much time on the controls though.

Besides that, flying my parachute is a lot of fun. One of my favorite things to do is jump at sunset and pull a few seconds out the door (about 13,500), spending the next 10 minutes with the canopy in brakes just hanging out. You feel temperature inversions and all of the other things in the air. It's quiet and peaceful. Some guys will put a beer or two in their pockets to drink on the way down.

This is a picture I took with a couple of friends on one of these sunset jumps:
bKX4FsDl.jpg

Back