Your Aviation App Requirements?

I don't like knowing that the more apps I buy for my iOS devices, the more addicted I'm becoming. But I don't want to venture in to the wild-wild-west of android devices/apps, so I'll deal with the addiction for now.

iOS apps are like Obamacare. You can only have what Apple says you're allowed to have, and only allowed to get it the way that Apple says you can get it.

I prefer the "wild west" over "inner-city Detroit" . . . ;)

I hear the guy at work who has a a Windows phone has all four Apps loaded. ;)

I downloaded Avare and played with it for a while. Here are some thoughts.

Ease of downloading and updating all sectionals, charts, plates, diagrams, what have you, etc.
I do not wish to have to click everything separately to got it all; one button labeled "download all" please.

Ability to tap on airport on map to bring up information about airport such as:
comm frequencies, airport facility directory, fuel price, plates available with the ability to select any of those plates.

Ability once a plate is loaded, to toggle back and forth between map and plate.

Ability to search with tabs which display nearby or recent:
airport, vor's, intersections, etc with both identifier and common name
This is useful when in unfamiliar airspace and ATC states go direct (pick your vor navaid or fix name).

Ability to enter a flight plan in standard format.

Ability once a flight plan on airways is entered to select only waypoints at turns to appear in plan. This makes it easier to then enter the plan into the older 430/530 series units which do not have airways.

Last edited:
I use ForeFlight, a W&B app for my Cherokee 235 and a app version of the FAR/AIM so I don't have to keep buying the latest copies.

Back