Young Eagles flight

We just finished making a video of both the ground school we teach and the rallye the following day. Professional crew using high-end video cameras and mounted gopros inside and outside the airplanes. Once I get a copy, I'll edit into a series of 2 min episodes and put on our website.

The parents always ask why/how we do this, because it's coming out of our pockets. I just tell them to look at the kids' faces after a flight.

That and Schedule A on my taxes.

The things kids say:
  1. "The scary part is when he asked me to land it,"
  2. "Thank you to the EAA for taking me on a wonderful flight and not killing me!"
  3. "I trusted them all along,"
  4. "It was really fun,"
  5. "it made me want to become a pilot."
I wouldn't put #1 or #2 on a poster, but it's all good.

I've heard the following:

"The trees look like broccoli..." (yes they do!)
"...and the houses look like radishes" (I don't see it myself, but it's still cute)
"I got to fly the plane!!" (overheard one young eagle telling a friend who was waiting in line)
and so many more...

I thing the Young Eagles program is great, and I'm proud to be a Young Eagles pilot.

Nice story but is this quote from the story truthful?

The EAA's Young Eagles Program is the only program of its kind in the country. It teaches kids about aviation, where pilots explain the interior, exterior and operations of an aircraft.

Doesn't CAP do this as well?

Yes but participants must be CAP cadets.

Or AFROTC or AFJROTC cadets. I participated in that recently. Nice experience, though the time limits are much too short IMO (30 minutes). Great kids. Well, they aren't kids anymore, but I'm an old fart. Damn college students get younger every year. :D

I think there might be an arrangement with Boy Scouts as well, and I know there is a teacher program.

The issues with the restrictions are all insurance driven.

EAA Young Eagles works with substantially younger kids, too, though I can't imagine putting an 8 year old behind a yoke in a 182. With a 12 year old, I have to stack the phone books....

Or AFROTC or AFJROTC cadets. I participated in that recently. Nice experience, though the time limits are much too short IMO (30 minutes). Great kids. Well, they aren't kids anymore, but I'm an old fart. Damn college students get younger every year. :D

I think there might be an arrangement with Boy Scouts as well, and I know there is a teacher program.

The issues with the restrictions are all insurance driven.
There is a program for teachers, TOPS. In Colorado, I haven't heard of the Boy Scout agreement, but I don't fly the Orides. As for the time limit, around here it's based on the official Oride flight plan, haven't read it in months. I really should, since I'll be going out to schools and such to talk about it.

There is a program for teachers, TOPS. In Colorado, I haven't heard of the Boy Scout agreement, but I don't fly the Orides. As for the time limit, around here it's based on the official Oride flight plan, haven't read it in months. I really should, since I'll be going out to schools and such to talk about it.

The time limit is in the AFROTC MOU.

There are limits to for CAP cadet orientation rides, but they are much longer, generally 0.8-1.2 hours. I usually plan 1 hour, and it's a comfy bit of time to do some stuff and go somewhere. Yesterday, the weather was A M A Z I N G so I took a planeload to Half Moon Bay to stare at the offshore islands 30 miles away.

We just finished making a video of both the ground school we teach and the rallye the following day. Professional crew using high-end video cameras and mounted gopros inside and outside the airplanes. Once I get a copy, I'll edit into a series of 2 min episodes and put on our website.

The parents always ask why/how we do this, because it's coming out of our pockets. I just tell them to look at the kids' faces after a flight.

That and Schedule A on my taxes.
Here's the entire video created for the Crowley Foundation using EAA 301:

Awesome. I'm doing my first young eagles event next weekend. I won't be able to fly obviously, but I'm happy to help out on the ground.

Back