You?

Henning said:
Mind if I ask why your wife didn't pick up the anchor and come get all of you rather than jumping in? Don't really have to answer me, just cure the reason.
If only she had. The simple answer: She was afraid of the helm. Wouldn't even try to learn to drive the boat. Ticked me off to no end. Or maybe it's just that I am a lousy instructor and she wouldn't learn from ME.

Actually, it just dawned on me that maybe she was counting on the life insurance proceeds. :D

bbchien said:
How to start a Barfight:

"Announce to a roomful of marines that MARINE means:

My
A_s
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment

Be sure the MP on duty is a friend of yours and that (if you are an officer) you were NOT present when your guy makes the announcement.

Don't ask me HOW I know this...

I know a Navy officer who heard that for the first time while at Annapolis. Actually, they were at Quantico with the Marines trying to convince them that they really wanted to be commissioned in the Marines. The cadet who told it to a Marine DI, from the ranks, survived and (I'm told) actually cracked up the DI. Now, this officer used to be a Boy Scout with my son and you could convince me that he told it, but he claims it was someone else...

The one time that I thought it was just about done when I was 11. I was helping to harvest alfafa and got almost buried alive by 12 tons of the stuff in the large wagon behind the harvester. I made a hole to breath and felt fought so hard not to panic. it took over an hour to get me out. Today I cannot be in large crowds. I feel like I am like the cat with 9 lives.

John J

Ken Ibold said:
If only she had. The simple answer: She was afraid of the helm. Wouldn't even try to learn to drive the boat. Ticked me off to no end. Or maybe it's just that I am a lousy instructor and she wouldn't learn from ME.

Actually, it just dawned on me that maybe she was counting on the life insurance proceeds. :D

Yeah, kinda what I thought, luckily it all worked out well. :cheerswine: Might consider getting your wife some instruction in the boat. Husbands teaching wives to operate machinery typically ends in divorce court and should be avoided unless said divorce is the objective. Might wanna tone down your life insurance as well.
Seriously, if you use this as a family boat your wife has to learn and become confidant as an operator. It isn't really a choice thing, besides it only takes a couple of hours of instruction and practice.

Hit by a car while riding a bike at about 10 years old. Jumped out of a boat just before it went over a dam at soemthing like 16. I've heard bullets whizzing arond me a couple of different times. Jumped off a motorcycle at about 40 mph when the brakes failed as I went down a steep hill (actually, I knew the brakes were bad and when I tried to gear it down it ended up in neutral- not good).

A lot of other things that were dumb. Yes, but for the grace of God.....

Richard said:
What about you? I can point to at least 10 different events over the course of my life which were serious enough to be life threatening. I mean I should have died. Don't want to bring religion into this but it is only by the grace of God that I am still here.

Let's here some wild stories. Even if they're not that wild.

Has the statute of limitations run out for the things I might have done in college?

fgcason said:
A few animal incidents in the forest. Momma bear during mating season...

That's ok it's like the commercial, what happens in the forest, stays in the forest.:rolleyes:

wsuffa said:
Has the statute of limitations run out for the things I might have done in college?

I suppose...unless that was you in the clock tower. What a minute, I know, you got a girl pregnant, her dad, a card carrying NRA member, rode into town for a, uh, talk and you almost died?

Richard said:
I suppose...unless that was you in the clock tower. What a minute, I know, you got a girl pregnant, her dad, a card carrying NRA member, rode into town for a, uh, talk and you almost died?

I'm not entirely certain fathers, NRA members or not, with knocked up daughters actually acknowledge the concept of "statute of limitations":rofl:

Henning said:
That's ok it's like the commercial, what happens in the forest, stays in the forest.:rolleyes:

You're editing stuff Henning. :p

In Upstate NY, the trail went between two big rocks and made a 90ish deg turn to the left. I blundered along between the rocks not expecting anything and made that turn and stopped in my tracks. Two cubs were snooping at something on something right there on the trail and momma bear was about 10 feet away giving me one of those baleful "don't you even think about it" looks. I decided I had better places to be and probably should calmly go back the way I came.

Silicon Rallye said:
In 1960 when I was in the Army stationed in Europe, I travelled back to New York for my wedding. For our honeymoon, my wife and I toured Europe and then finally headed to my station in Berlin.

While crossing East Germany, we were stopped and held at gunpoint by the East German People's Police (VoPo). I could have sworn that in the 45 minutes looking at the business end of a 9 mm, it seemed that the gun was growing in size to 50 calibre.

After the stalemate (my refusal to exit the autobahn) was nearing an hour, the East Germans relented and we were released.

Dang, the US Army let you drive that highway? I'm surprised, especially back then. I was a German and always flew to Berlin when visitin my grandma as my moms family lived there. Dad would not allow us on that road, no discussion, and we even had visitor status in the East Block due to relatives left behind after the fences went up and the currency changed. Dad didn't like the Russians much.

Silicon Rallye said:
I could have sworn that in the 45 minutes looking at the business end of a 9 mm, it seemed that the gun was growing in size to 50 calibre.

Ooh, that reminded me of one more! I can relate. In high school, I worked as a clerk at a local gas station on the weekends and during the summer. I got held up one Sunday afternoon. Before I knew what happened, the robber reached across and took a loaded .357 that the owner kept sitting on top of the cigarette boxes under the counter. I knew that gun was loaded, and I swear, that barrel was big enough to crawl into as I looked at it from just inches away from my face.

Since it was a Sunday afternoon, there were not too many customers. He could take his time, and the guy had obviously been casing the place for a while because he knew our routine and where everything was. He ordered me into the garage area behind the station, ordered me to strip and lay down on the greasy floor. Dummy me, I argued with him..about laying down on the nasty floor, lol. There is no telling what he would have done to me had a customer not started honking at the pumps because I hadn't turned them on yet. He just threatened to blow my head off if I stuck it outside that garage in less than 10 minutes, then locked me in and left.

Two days later they caught the guy, after he robbed three more gas stations, and severely beat and raped two clerks, nearly killing one. I quit the job that day.

I knew I'd need a cat's nine lives but, let's just say that; after over a decade or so of ski mountaineering from summits at night, waiting for gales to go night sailing (NEVER any drinking during those... that was done beforehand), flying mountain country regularly in all seasons with students, spending many days and nights in grizzly country, dating the opposite sex, and walking around with the general public, it became readily apparent that I needed to modify my nine lives to include 9 for EACH activity !

Last edited:
Henning said:
Dang, the US Army let you drive that highway? I'm surprised, especially back then. I was a German and always flew to Berlin when visitin my grandma as my moms family lived there.
That's probably true but the Berlin Occupational Forces travelled under military orders under the "protection" of the Russians; little help that did me.

A Formal Protest over the incident was presented to the Russians. I was serving there when the wall was built.

ausrere said:
Two days later they caught the guy, after he robbed three more gas stations, and severely beat and raped two clerks, nearly killing one. I quit the job that day.

Dang, girl! Did this event have anyting to do with you going into law enforcement?

During college one summer I worked the 11-7 night shift at an all night gas/convienence store near Pittsburgh. Every night, the biker bar down the street would let out at 2am, and I quickly learned the art of negotiating with some truely bad dudes.

After I quit, they stupidly hired a girl for that shift, and two weeks after I left, she was stabbed and robbed by someone after the bars let out. She survived, but was in the hospital for two weeks. I didn't work there the following summer.

Last edited:
I held a part time job at a convenience store in downtown Albuquerque once. More dangerous than going to war. I got robbed repeatedly. It's not a job I'll do again.

Bill Jennings said:
Dang, girl! Did this event have anyting to do with you going into law enforcement?

Nope. I had already decided that I wanted to go into Law Enforcement long before that. When I was little, my grandmother was a judge, and I was fascinated by the whole process. I kept telling my parents that's what I wanted to do, and they kept trying to talk me out of it, all the way up to the day I graduated from the academy.

I was actually in the process of background checks for a cadet program at the time I was robbed. They had to postpone my physical agility test so I could go down and view a line up when they caught the guy. While it wasn't fun as it was happening, the incident came in handy years later when I started doing crime prevention seminars for local businesses. I could speak from experience about what could happen, and had some real world suggestions of things to do to reduce the chances. I think it made a better impression on the attendees. So I guess everything happens for a reason. :)

Joe Williams said:
I held a part time job at a convenience store in downtown Albuquerque once. More dangerous than going to war. I got robbed repeatedly. It's not a job I'll do again.

You have that right. I won't even go in those stores.

A really nice guy (super great down to earth nicest person you could ever meet on the face of the earth types) that worked at the place where my dad use to get parts for his business was part timing at a convinence store in the 80's. He knew me since I was in diapers. I went to get parts one day and talked to him for a good hour. Nothing out of the ordinary. The next week my mom went to get parts and came home way later than that trip should have taken and she was a total wreck. The night before he had been shot point blank in the face by a hooligan for <$5 of stuff. Just pulled the gun out stuck it in his face and fired with no warning. If the hooligan had asked, he would have given it to him and probably paid the bill himself. That subgroup of the species needs to be eradicated completely. I'd rather deal with terrorists.

RIP Mack.

Last edited:
Back