You Might Enjoy

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Ive told some of you about my new home field, Green Castle (IA24). Its a private strips south of Cedar Rapids underlying Class C. Runway is 2400x24 with 1400x100 grass extension to the northwest. Trees are abound, as seen in picture. The grass runway was basically carved out of a stand of trees. The departure end of 15 includes a road about 30 feet off the end of the runway, power lines to the left along the road, and a house and trees to the right of the runway. Makes for interesting approaches and is good practice on holding centerline and climbing straight out. any crosswind usually includes LLWS and mechanical turbulence. In general a challenging but fun place to fly in and out of. Picture is on final to 15.

Attachments

• DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00073.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 87
Wow. The ruways doesn't look that narrow, though!

yea, the picture is deceiving. It definitely looks like the sidewalk it is when you're on final

yep, its cheap. went up in the ercoupe today for .8, cost me like 38 bucks or something.

Makes for interesting approaches and is good practice on holding centerline and climbing straight out.

This one's pretty good for centerline holding skills too.
landing.gif

Last edited:
Ghery said:
:hairraise:

Where the heck is that?

It is NE of Cambell River BC and was at the time of the PIX, a public use airport situated in a remote and roadless area not too far from and below the huge Hamathko Ice Field. Called Quatum River, it has been "X-ed" out on the sectionals for some time but fortunately there are some private airstrips in the area available with prior permission. Not a particularly difficult airstrip since the approach is over the sound with no threshold obstacles higher than driftwood snags, it does however leave no doubt as to the mandatory centerline (visualized only) holding requirements.

After repeated landing lessons in a wide variety of wind and other conditions on very narrow runways for the PPL, upon receiving the cert. I promptly made some trips up there both by myself and then with others that like the unique wilderness experience. The grizzlies there eat the barnacled, native oysters on the beach "in and with the shell" much as we might eat so many potatoe chips!

Back