You like Nebraska in January, right?

after six years I'm not worried so much...

He's had you locked in his truck for six years? I didn't think APA Ops had internships that long. LOL. Heck I think they bought a new truck, even. You sure you're still at the airport? ;)

Probably bentonite in the dirt, too. Denverites hadn't figured out that all their basements were cracking until about the 80s. Nowadays we dig out all the local dirt and replace it with non clay stuff for house foundations. Anything older than the 80s has a cracked basement floor, almost guaranteed.

Late 70s. Our house was built in 1979 and took bentonite into consideration when it was constructed. Slabs were designed to ride up and down. Penetrations in the basement slab could handle it and when I built walls down there I was instructed to hang them from the ceiling with provisions at the floor for the slab to move independently. We had no problems.

BTW, bentonite is not limited to the Denver area. We had to deal with it in California when my employer at the time put in a lab north of Hollister in 1989. We dug down about 3 feet and put in engineered fill before pouring the slab for a 40 by 140 foot ground plane for an EMC lab. Then paved out a few feet around the perimeter to keep water out of the fill. That was an expensive way to build a ground plane. Haven't done it that way since.

Late 70s. Our house was built in 1979 and took bentonite into consideration when it was constructed. Slabs were designed to ride up and down. Penetrations in the basement slab could handle it and when I built walls down there I was instructed to hang them from the ceiling with provisions at the floor for the slab to move independently. We had no problems.

BTW, bentonite is not limited to the Denver area. We had to deal with it in California when my employer at the time put in a lab north of Hollister in 1989. We dug down about 3 feet and put in engineered fill before pouring the slab for a 40 by 140 foot ground plane for an EMC lab. Then paved out a few feet around the perimeter to keep water out of the fill. That was an expensive way to build a ground plane. Haven't done it that way since.

Yeah ok. I wasn't in the housing market in the 70s. :)

Still, the point was that someone wondered why our floor wasn't level. There's a lot of history there. Leveling it would be an expensive and generally worthless endeavor. Thus, chocks. ;)

Back