You like Nebraska in January, right?

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Jesse texts. Says he's going to be stuck driving from Denver to Lincoln. Asks if I like Lincoln, NE this time of year. Asks if I need a BFR. I'm driving home from work headed to pick up dogs from doggy daycare. And dog food.

Of course I do! I love Lincoln in January! (I lie. Hahaha. I'm having flashbacks to -10F during the Instrument Rating. There's a certain amount of PTSD associated with it. Doc says it'll get better with therapy. But I never go.)

Go preflight the airplane. Chocks frozen to floor. Denver Jet Center thinks my idea of tugging the airplane over the chocks isn't as smart as their idea of running a pot of hot water through the coffee pot. Hmm. Yeah, that's a better idea. Fuel truck rolls up with said pot of water. Chocks halfway released. Truck guy helps me push it over one chock instead of two. Half a win.

Mental note, new hangar leaks. Water freezes. No more chocks in hangar in below freezing temps.

Jesse takes his life into his own hands. Let's old DenverPilot fly him to Lincoln while doing that CFI thing, you know, sitting there not screaming too loud. Gives pointers like, "You going to leave flaps down?" Nice guy. Helpful. :)

We arrive in Lincoln. I have a Tweet waiting on my phone from Stephanie Rust @rustysunshine, a ZDV controller and fun person on Twitter... "Hey, was that you in my airspace over Nebraska?"

Why yes, it was! VFR even. Asking for extra services on the mid shift late at night. Aren't we nice? You were our controller?! Wow! How about that tailwind? Wheee! 155 knots GS in a 182! Thanks for vectoring all the other aircraft far far away. Haha.

Jesse hands me a checklist for this thing called a "guest bed". I let him know I'm current and qualified on the type. Haha. Bentley the wonder dog woofs his welcome and shows me his Kong and he and I play tug of war for a couple of minutes.

He loves his Kong. He'd be cool with playing tug all night. Bentley is cool. Hard to believe he's four already. They grow up so fast. Heh. I forgot to take a picture of him. He's that cool. People usually just take pictures of him.

I get to see Jesse and Jason's cool company the next morning and say hi to Jason. Nice place, man! No seriously. Nice job y'all have done there!

Get to borrow a little bit of high bandwidth and a corner office (haha), "Hey boss, I'm working from Nebraska today. See you on Monday." (There are plusses to working in IT, sometimes! Bandwidth, my laptop, and VPN connection and I'm pretty much "at my desk" other than missing the piles of telecom routing papers and old boxes of Windows XP that haven't been touched in years.)

c1d99521d3e5bdf1c742d65a8a42095f.jpg

And yes, I did have to take the slide from the 2nd floor to the first floor for the company morning meeting.

Yes, there's a slide. No, it's not optional. Not even for guests! LOL!

Jesse jokes that if something is going on he's had to take the slide with his laptop before. That's a funny mental photo.

I'm so surprised I forget to take a photo of the slide.

Jesse and I both get done with real work for the afternoon and he locks me in a room for ground school. Really. He had to badge in when he left for a minute! (Haha. Ok I wasn't really locked in. But he was locked OUT for a second. ;) )

He whips out an Advisory Circular (uh oh now it's serious) on his laptop and starts the interrogation process. "What day is it? Who is the current President?" (Wait, I think he must be checking for a concussion from the ride down the slide...) And other FAA kinda questions. "What is your name? What is your quest? What is your favorite color?" It's all over fairly quickly. (I didn't even feel the needle when he implanted the TSA tracking chip!)

We go back to the airport. Launch into the wild blue. Fly for half an hour to reach the end of the short runway at Lincoln. We are only planning an hour. Sheesh! He says things like, "Okay give me a steep turn either direction and roll out west." I say things like, "Huh? I thought you were flying this thing!?"

Power on stalls are the usual buffet, bump, buffet, still won't break, keep pulling, bump, buffet... "Ok that's enough of that, recover."

There are plusses to flying a Robertson STOL 182 near sea level. Haha. Stupid thing will just hang there on the prop with a high sink rate. It secretly wants to be an air show jet, going straight up. The Walter Mitty of Cessna 182s...

Steep turns under the hood and some other hood work. I can tell my brain ain't going fast enough for an IPC but the airplane stays right side up, anyway. And we're not doing an IPC this flight.

Land. Jesse writes some magic scribbles in my green paper book. Looks like Elvish to me. Can't read it. CFI Tiny Print Font.

They apparently teach you how to write tinier than a typewriter at CFI school. Says aircraft control was good, couple of flights would bang out the IPC. Can stick around in Nebraska for another day if I feel like it.

I figure it's time to head home. I like Nebraska but not that much! Weather is good, the Nebraska Curse didn't break the airplane (this time), wifey probably would appreciate me getting home to pick up her truck from the shop that I said I'd do today. Fix her iPhone again. (Hey, she had the Subaru, I didn't make her walk! And Wifi calling!) Read PoA. You know, important stuff!

Remember that there's tradition in Lincoln. Started by David White. Must eat Big Texas cinnamon roll from the machine. Go stick a dollar in.

7dbb1d563434004a3d931aaa9ae01ea6.jpg

Denied! Damn. It's stuck. Vending machine makes a PIREP for moderate turbulence inside the FBO. Won't budge. Can't break tradition!!! Damn.

Realize that fake chocolate lard covered mini donuts are angled just right to push on Big Texas. Put another dollar in. Buy donuts. Donuts push Big Texas out! Victory!

Eat Big Texas and donuts. Wonder if either one will trigger a Special Issuance medical next time around. Oh well, can't deal with that right now.

Call airplane co-owner. "Can you help with that other frozen chock?" He says he will head over and unstick it. My co-owners ROCK!

Clearance Delivery asks if I will say hi to KAPA controllers. Says she's looking forward to getting back out to KAPA to visit them. Gives me her initials to authenticate message. (Controllers sign off on internal land lines with their initials for tracking who it was on recordings. Seriously. She's "Juliet Victor", by the way. I scribble on scratchpad in Foreflight. Mental note not to hit clear button before telling APA controllers.)

Climb out of Lincoln and check the iPad for ground speed. 97 knots. Son of a...

I hate winter westbound. Really?!

Listen to a UPS Airbus whining that the mountain wave was strong enough that the autothrottles and autopilot lost 300'. Poor baby. I'm doing 100 knots down here, and you're drinking galley coffee and whining to ZDV. At least he isn't asking for ride reports to get a better altitude for the boxes in back that have more leg room than United. Haha. Hey wait. It's UPS. He doesn't have galley coffee. Sucker.

After a while, I descend. Maybe I can find only a 20 knot headwind a little lower. Lower. At night. I do the math. I can glide 4 miles from this altitude. Look at chart. Closest airport is five miles. Hmm. Of
course it is.

Check engine gauges. Imagine I hear roughness. Let's see, fly higher and glide to airport when engine quits or not have to land in Akron for gas. Sigh. Low and slow but slightly faster than higher and slower it is.

Try that in your damn Airbus! Whiners!

Figure out how to make a HUD out of the iPad mini. Note: Not nice to use the mag compass as a prop for iPad and definitely voids your compass correction card. Child of the magenta line...

f310a921d0216e8eae79e2c696375a14.jpg

(Edit: yeah I was so bored I even put it in track up. And I turned to the right a bit while taking the photo. And no I didn't have a VOR tuned at this point. /U sucks sometimes. We should put a GPS in.)

Get to Aurora Reservoir. Bumps start. YGBFKM. 8+ hours of the smoothest flying ever in the last two days, and continuous light chop from 10 minutes out, all the way to the base turn at KAPA 17L? Tighten seat belt.

Cleared to land. Ask controller if he has time for a message. Tell him JV working Clearance Delivery in KLNK wanted to say hi. He sounds non-plussed but I'm sure he knows half the damn planet is listening on LiveATC.

Anyway, message delivered JV, during the base to final turn. I did my part in the national message relay system by avian human interface.

Taxi to hangar. Shut down. Flash light pointed at me. Airplane co-owner came back over because he heard me talking to Approach on LiveATC. (I told you everyone was listening...) Helps put airplane away. We chat for a bit. Haven't seen him in a while.

He gives me a quick ride over to where I parked my truck. He has a newish BMW. XDrive. It shuts off the engine and restarts it going through the automatic ramp gate. That's kinda cool. Acts like a hybrid but not really a hybrid.

Call Karen. Grab a sandwich in Parker on the way home. Take magic green paper book in and put it away awaiting another aviation adventure.

* Any or all of the above my be fiction, have stretched the truth, or omitted to protect the innocent. The only part I can prove is true is that tiny print and a signature in the magic green book. And that there really is a slide from the 2nd floor to the 1st in a building in Lincoln, NE.

Last edited:
Jesse hands me a checklist for this thing called a "guest bed". I let him know I'm current and qualified on the type.

Vending machine makes a PIREP for moderate turbulence inside the FBO.

Move over 6PC there's a new sheriff in town and he's hilarious

Good write-up. looks like you had fun. :D

Haha. Bentley the wonder dog woofs his welcome and shows me his Kong and he and I play tug of war for a couple of minutes.
He loves his Kong. He'd be cool with playing tug all night. Bentley is cool. Hard to believe he's four already. They grow up so fast. Heh. I forgot to take a picture of him. He's that cool. People usually just take pictures of him.

* Any or all of the above my be fiction, have stretched the truth, or omitted to protect the innocent. The only part I can prove is true is that tiny print and a signature in the magic green book. And that there really is a slide from the 2nd floor to the 1st in a building in Lincoln, NE.

I think the important part of this story is that Bentley got to play tug, I assume that he will verify this fact if questioned?

Good write up, thanks for sharing.

I found it hysterical except that part where there is an apple logo on your laptop.

I really want to see a photo of the slide though. Probably not a lot of suits in that building but I like the image of business man on his cell w/ a brief case in a hurry sliding down a slide. The irony of trying to be serious while going down a slide is funny.

I think the important part of this story is that Bentley got to play tug, I assume that he will verify this fact if questioned?

Good write up, thanks for sharing.

I wonder if that was a euphemism?

I found it hysterical except that part where there is an apple logo on your laptop.

I really want to see a photo of the slide though. Probably not a lot of suits in that building but I like the image of business man on his cell w/ a brief case in a hurry sliding down a slide. The irony of trying to be serious while going down a slide is funny.

Not many suits to see:
http://www.firespring.com/space

You'll see two 27 inch cinema displays with apple logos on every desk, except for the few that are still stuck in 2002 and want a PC.

That's right. Because apple laptops are about getting real man's work done. Like ssh'ing into Linux boxes while PoA awaits in the browser. Haha.

I bet Jesse or Jason could hook us up with an action video. Jason might even wear a suit. ;)

I will neither confirm nor deny the existence of suits nor ties. They made me sign a clothing NDA. ;)

I think pretty much every desk has a 27" iMac on it though. And a second monitor. I actually meant to ask if I'd be breaking any of their security rules to shoot a photo of the work area from the back side of the monitors to prove to certain folk back here at home that Real Companies do use Macs.

It would also make the developers at our office (who often bring in their own Macs and since I'm the IT guy and we don't have any horrendous security certs to maintain, so we say it's cool for now), cry. We buy them Dell laptops.

(Plus I have a Mac Mini on my desk hooked to a couple of really decent monitors and it would make me the evil IT guy to deny other Macs. The horrendous Windows 8.1 laptop sits mostly unused. Even the nice 17" monitor on it isn't enough to not make me feel icky using it. Hahah.)

Not many suits to see:

http://www.firespring.com/space

You'll see two 27 inch cinema displays with apple logos on every desk, except for the few that are still stuck in 2002 and want a PC.

LOL. Beat me to the reply.

You need to add Otterbox to the slide text though. Heh.

They have one up in Ft. Collins I hear. It's supposedly a spiral but I haven't seen it in person. ;)

Nice writeup. Glad you made it to Lincoln!

I've taken the slide many times with laptop in hand. Jesse does better with his laptop on the slide than he does with a beer in hand. He had to climb back up one night to clean up the mess.

Edited to change concision to concussion. Didn't know concision was a word. Autocorrect. Now I have to go look it up. :)

That's right. Because apple laptops are about getting real man's work done. Like ssh'ing into Linux boxes while PoA awaits in the browser. Haha.

I bet Jesse or Jason could hook us up with an action video. Jason might even wear a suit. ;)

I will neither confirm nor deny the existence of suits nor ties. They made me sign a clothing NDA. ;)

I think pretty much every desk has a 27" iMac on it though. And a second monitor. I actually meant to ask if I'd be breaking any of their security rules to shoot a photo of the work area from the back side of the monitors to prove to certain folk back here at home that Real Companies do use Macs.
Useless trivia - back in the mid 80s, Martin Marietta (Denver office) was one of the first (if not the first) bulk purchasers of Macs for the engineers & graphic artists.
It would also make the developers at our office (who often bring in their own Macs and since I'm the IT guy and we don't have any horrendous security certs to maintain, so we say it's cool for now), cry. We buy them Dell laptops.

(Plus I have a Mac Mini on my desk hooked to a couple of really decent monitors and it would make me the evil IT guy to deny other Macs. The horrendous Windows 8.1 laptop sits mostly unused. Even the nice 17" monitor on it isn't enough to not make me feel icky using it. Hahah.)

Now that I have looked up concision I know why I'd never heard of it. (And if you look it up and know my posts, you'll laugh.)

Nice writeup. Glad you made it to Lincoln!

I've taken the slide many times with laptop in hand. Jesse does better with his laptop on the slide than he does with a beer in hand. He had to climb back up one night to clean up the mess.

Didn't you spill a beer immediately after I did it?

Ahh, right, that permanent living room guest bed. :)

You have a talent as a writer. I enjoyed your story :)

Now that I have looked up concision I know why I'd never heard of it. (And if you look it up and know my posts, you'll laugh.)

The root is concise, correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Originally Posted by denverpilot

The root is concise, correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hmmmm

Maybe a con artist doctor who performs circumcisions (sp):dunno::dunno:......:redface:

Last edited:
Useless trivia - back in the mid 80s, Martin Marietta (Denver office) was one of the first (if not the first) bulk purchasers of Macs for the engineers & graphic artists.

Had to be "mid 80s" as I left in October '83 and we sure didn't have them then. :D

Had to be "mid 80s" as I left in October '83 and we sure didn't have them then. :D

Or maybe late '80s? I worked an Oracle project in the early 90s there and they were MacIfied on the desktop then...

Martin also contested a very big contract that was Martin/Sun vs another defense contractor/Apple that went all the way to the Congressional oversight folk.

Mainly because they knew the other company's product didn't even work. But they were awarded the contract.

Sun reps were really really angry. Martin didn't want to do it because they didn't want enemies at the Pentagon.

Cost a 3-star his job. And a bunch of other folks.

And from what I hear was one of the first formal contests Martin ever did. At least that's how the Sun folk have described it over the years.

Then ... they bought a bunch of Apples. Heh. Schizophrenic leadership. Sounds like Martin!

It's really no wonder they were bought out by Lockheed.

Not that it's been all roses after that, either... ;)

Quite the soap opera over there to the west in the foothills. Haha.

Why? It's indoors.

So it can't roll anywhere like it wants to do. There a two chunks of 2 x 4 that stop the mains as the plane is pushed into the hangar and then another chunk of 2 x 4 that goes in front of the nose wheel. Without the chunk of wood in front of the nose wheel the aircraft tries to roll forward a bit.

Levels haven't made it that far west yet.

My plane doesn't move at all in the hangar. Never chocked it.

We have stops bolted to the floor behind the mains to keep from poking the tail feathers thru the back wall, and slip a chock in front of the nosegear to keep the prop from getting bit by the slide-by doors ... and yeah, the floor is level, but Murphy (not "our" Murphy) is alive and well in aviation (looking towards Beagle and wondering when our Saratoga is coming home with new skin around the jack pads) ...

People chock airplanes inside their own hangars?

In our former hangar the wheels sat up on little concrete pads that were higher than the rest of the floor. If the airplane moved it would easily get momentum and roll toward the stuff behind the airplane or back wall, or the door.

So we chocked it out of necessity. We don't leave the brakes on nor trust them even if we did.

New hangar had divots where the former owner's airplane sat. Luckily they're in the same place they'd need to be for our airplane to sit in the correct location but if they weren't we'd chock it to keep it from rolling into the holes.

Problem now is... Habit bit us in the ass. The holes apparently fill with water and it freezes. This is our first winter in this hangar.

Eventually we will repave/level the floor but the t-hangar will still leak. Water runs under the walls and through the hangar and even the line guys laugh when we talk about sealing it. It'll never work. They flex in the wind. The whole building. Well the equivalent of an overgrown car port anyway, not really a building.

Plus to do it right, we'd have to remove the hangar from the spot, repave properly, and move it back. That ain't happening.

The ground under them wasn't level in the 70s when they drove them in and parked them there from Kansas and bolted the sides together, and it won't be level long after I'm dead unless they remove all the port-a-ports and strip the entire east ramp down to dirt and start over.

Probably bentonite in the dirt, too. Denverites hadn't figured out that all their basements were cracking until about the 80s. Nowadays we dig out all the local dirt and replace it with non clay stuff for house foundations. Anything older than the 80s has a cracked basement floor, almost guaranteed.

Some dude is actually planning to truck out his hangar to someplace else this year. He's already notified the airport authority. That'll look weird. There will be a hole in one of the hangar rows. I think he's one row over from us.

We just lease the ground. We own the bolt together erector set that sits on top of it now. It was pretty cheap. Four year return on investment vs what we paid in rent. Was probably worth doing. We had to wait a while. A lot of hangar owners real proud of their aluminum boxes. We got ours at about $15K less than the typical asking price from a Delta Captain who was moving out of state at retirement. Just had to wait a while.

Assuming anyone is still flying at APA in four years it'll probably work out. We think that's a reasonable assumption but we could be wrong. Heh. It did move the payment up front so we popped a pile of cash and now our monthly cash flow for hangar rent is gone. Makes the monthly look nice if we ignore that we all popped a couple of annuals worth of cash up front. Heh.

Plus we are hundreds of feet closer to Jet Center East where the bathrooms are. That's nice. Of course they started locking the damn ramp side door at night.

And it's a longer walk to the grass along 10/28. Hahaha. None of us have EVER peed on the grass in the dark. Never. :) (Hint: Hide from view of the tower behind the parted out trashed Key Lime Metroliner.)

And it's a longer walk to the grass along 10/28. Hahaha. None of us have EVER peed on the grass in the dark. Never. :) (Hint: Hide from view of the tower behind the parted out trashed Key Lime Metroliner.)

Stand, face security cameras, let fly into stormwater drain...mission accomplished. :D

Late 84 or 85 because the Mac wasn't released until Superbowl 1984. I got mine in early 85. Still have it, packed away. Still boots and "dings", too.

Back