You know you're a pilot when...

Oh, almost forgot... When you use ForeFlight in your car to navigate on road trips (Especially to see where the nearest airport is) :)

And you turn to the pilot driving (wife) and say "speed up, you're only doing 60 (knots) in a 70".

On a road trip you constantly think "ceilings are better than forecast, could have flown this one".

jump in the car and start looking for the checklist.

jump in the car and start looking for the checklist.

I've driven with a pilot who appeared to drive by checklist. No kidding, he had his pilot cert before he got a drivers license. He said he used to freak his wife out driving by pulling out a map, going head down while city driving and would forget that he's driving a car.

Landed after a 6.5 hour flight, got in the car to pull it out of the hangar, and reached toward the dash for a knob to give it throttle.....

That was just a couple of days ago.

Last edited:
When my son, at the age of 5 was explaining to his friends at the pool the difference between the planes going to Miami and "Opey Locka".

You are always checking the weather forecast and METARS every couple hours.

...you realize after driving your car a while that the index and middle fingers that are poised to throttle back are actually wrapped around the cigarette lighter.

jspilot;1332084..... All week long at lunch time at work you find yourself looking at trade-a-plane or controller.com trying to find the plane you wish you had the money to buy.[/QUOTE said:
... and then you find what looks like a reasonable deal on a cabin class twin/personal jet and start trying to rationalize the purchase.

..... All week long at lunch time at work you find yourself looking at trade-a-plane or controller.com trying to find the plane you wish you had the money to buy.
... and then you find what looks like a reasonable deal on a cabin class twin/personal jet and start trying to rationalize the purchase.

Was driving to meet my dad at the grocery store several months ago. We were on the phone with each other. I said I am at the north end of the parking lot heading due south.
He said "I am at your 2 o'clock." I responded "I have you in sight"
I could feel my wife rolling her eyes.

Having planned your car trip with Foreflight, you boldly announce that we would have been there by now, had we flown.

Having planned your car trip with Foreflight, you boldly announce that we would have been there by now, had we flown.

Or whenever you fly somewhere, you think, "Well, I would have been there by now if I'd driven," but still think to yourself that it was completely worth it :rolleyes:

It's bad wx season, you're driving home in theEnglish countryside and enter a fog bank, instead of slowing down you transition to instruments....

BTDT....

As you accelerate from a stoplight you find yourself pulling back on the steering wheel.

You feel uncomfortable driving without a GPS even though you've driven the same route hundreds of times.

When driving in slow traffic you fantasize about touching a button to extend the wings so you can take off and fly over the traffic.

when at least half of the favorite contacts list in your cellphone is aviation related (pilots, FBOs, ASOS, etc).

driving through fog and feeling the need to lock onto scan...

and (also being a previous Prius driver) gauging 'approach speed' without braking to cross a roundabout/intersection and thinking of 'greaser' landings...

and finally and always(!) thinking/looking for the master switch before removing the key from the car ignition...

enjoy, frankw

Back