You know you're a pilot when...

You're over the age of 10 and you still run outside, point in the air, and yell, "Da plane! Da plane!" everytime someone flies over your house.

Last edited:
I still stop what I'm doing and look up when a GA plane flies overhead. "Hello, brother(sister)!"

When after a flight you get in your old ratty pickup and it feels smooth and quiet as a new Cadillac.

... You are 2 years old and point to every airplane in the sky saying "airpane", even those so high your parents can barely make it out.

.... your 4-year old comes home from playing with her friends and asks you, "Daddy, how come Suzie's dad doesn't own an airplane?"

When, at the airline self check-in, you put a 'K' in front of the destination airport identifier.

...your family and friends get Christmas presents wrapped in expired sectionals.

(wrapping one now!)

You ask that cute chick at the bar if she knows what a backcourse approach is...

when you're on a date and finally say, enough about aviation, now lets talk about me

...when some asks you to spell your last name, without thinking, you respond phonetically ("Foxtrot Alpha Romeo Lima Oscar Whiskey")

...you give out your phone number as 4-0-8, 5-niner-4, x x x x

....the main justification you tell your friends and family you purchased an iPad Mini is so you can use FF, WX, other EFB of choice.

....someone offers you a drink and you say "no thanks, I'm flying".

Instead of "what..."
you say "say again..."

When, at the airline self check-in, you put a 'K' in front of the destination airport identifier.

Done all of the above.

...when some asks you to spell your last name, without thinking, you respond phonetically ("Foxtrot Alpha Romeo Lima Oscar Whiskey")
I've been doing that for years. People insist on spelling it A-D-A-M-S unless I do, and sometimes even then.

You can remember long ago when you once had a positive balance in your checking account and charge cards that weren't maxed out.

-John

Or you know your a pilot and probably senile when you start down a steep hill near bradford penna. In the winter, in your Tacoma, and start to reach for carb heat.

....the main justification you tell your friends and family you purchased an iPad Mini is so you can use FF, WX, other EFB of choice.

Why do you think I bought my Nexus 7? :D

... upon driving home after doing practice landings, you catch yourself lined up in the center of the highway rather than in your lane.

The entrance road to the Evergreen airplane museum in McMinnville, Oregon is marked with runway markings. Sure glad nobody was coming out when I went in last year. Nailed that centerline. :yes:

When I give a credit card number over the phone and they read it back correctly, I reply "Read back correct".

..... All week long at lunch time at work you find yourself looking at trade-a-plane or controller.com trying to find the plane you wish you had the money to buy.

I was doing this before I was a pilot....:yesnod:

I've been doing that for years. People insist on spelling it A-D-A-M-S unless I do, and sometimes even then.

Perhaps if you did "ba-da-da-dum" and snap fingers two times, they might get it right.

... upon driving home after doing practice landings, you catch yourself lined up in the center of the highway rather than in your lane.

+1 :yes:

I often leave the airport driving on the yellow center line.

...when a car pulls out in front of you while driving and you pull BACK on the steering wheel for a go around...

You accelerate through a right hand turn because you forgot that the car has a gas pedal, not a rudder pedal.

You accelerate through a right hand turn because you forgot that the car has a gas pedal, not a rudder pedal.

Or add power going into a turn to maintain altitude.

When there is a plane on a tv show, you rewind and pause to catch a glimpse of the N number so you can look it up on flight aware.

(or a pilot's wife)

When weather is no longer just weather. It's ceilings and minimums, with potential windows.

When cleaning supplies, old blankets, trouble lights, brooms and vacuums disappear from the house and reappear in the hangar.

You find yourself slowly freezing from the icy chill of a hangar floor on a 15-degree night at the EAA Christmas party, listening to a bunch of guys going "Say again?" and exchanging gifts wrapped in old sectionals.:yesnod:

When you play the "how high are the clouds game" with friends. You then check the Metar and always win.

You refer to the woman that lives in your house aka wife a "Stew"

When someone boasts of their 'man cave' and you silently say "yeah, but his
doesn't have an airplane in it."

You're over the age of 10 and you still run outside, point in the air, and yell, "Da plane! Da plane!" everytime someone flies over your house.

I heard fast-movers go over this afternoon and ran outside to the deck like a little kid. Always do. ;)

...when you pretend your radio and A/C dials are instruments, flaps, landing gear and cowl flaps! Long road trips, I tell ya...

Oh, almost forgot... When you use ForeFlight in your car to navigate on road trips (Especially to see where the nearest airport is) :)

Oh, almost forgot... When you use ForeFlight in your car to navigate on road trips (Especially to see where the nearest airport is) :)
Ha! Done exactly that in the past!

And you know you're a pilot when you find yourself converting to knots subconsciously whenever someone gives you a speed in mph; especially windspeed.

Back