You know times are tough when...

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
... the Canadian Dollar is worth more than the US Dollar.

1 USD = 1.019 CAD in live wire trading.

Sigh.

Cheers,

-Andrew

i always liked the t shirt that said "if i had 60 cents for every time i had a dollar, id be canada" guess its not true anymore.

Actually that shows the Canadian dollar is worth less the USD. But just barely

If 1CD equaled >1 USD then it is worth more than the USD.

I know, but intraday tests show it touching equal.

Plus, unless I'm moving a few hundred K, it's not like $0.019 isn't essentially equal.

Cheers,

-Andrew

i always liked the t shirt that said "if i had 60 cents for every time i had a dollar, id be canada" guess its not true anymore.
That is funny!!

The Canadian guys I works with call it the 'Canadian Peso'

A few years ago a USD would buy you 1.5 CDs. We used to hold a lot of meetings in Vancouver in very nice hotels and it would cost next to nothing. We stopped going as the dollar weakened. I am off to Spain tomorrow and dreading the currency conversion. The dollar is very weak against the Euro. Earlier this years I was in London. Bought a 6" subway sandwich meal and it cost me almost $14 USD.

That is funny!!

A few years ago a USD would buy you 1.5 CDs. We used to hold a lot of meetings in Vancouver in very nice hotels and it would cost next to nothing. We stopped going as the dollar weakened. I am off to Spain tomorrow and dreading the currency conversion. The dollar is very weak against the Euro. Earlier this years I was in London. Bought a 6" subway sandwich meal and it cost me almost $14 USD.

Just back from Europe and the UK. All I can say is "ouch". It was cheaper to stay in Holland and fly back and forth to the UK than it was to stay in London.

yea we just need a worldwide currency, the "Eartho" or something. then we wont have to worry about that.

That is funny!!

Sounds like my trip to Ireland. 3 Euro pints seemed so cheap until I realized I paid $7 a whack for them, with taxes thrown on top.

Taking 18 people out for pubbing was such a bad idea for the expense account :(

Cheers,

-Andrew

Reminds me of when I drove to Toronto. I made the dumba* mistake of waiting until I crossed the border to fill up the Mustang, thinking that gas might be cheaper. It was a lot more expensive.

So I mentined that to Canadians and I always heard, "Well, we price by the liter..." and I pointed out that the Mustang's gas tank doesn't know whether the pump is selling gallons or liters. :D

The dollar is very weak against the Euro. Earlier this years I was in London. Bought a 6" subway sandwich meal and it cost me almost $14 USD.

Of course, Great Brittain never bought in to the Euro business. I believe they are still the British Pound. And it has always been expensive in England.

Of course, Great Brittain never bought in to the Euro business. I believe they are still the British Pound. And it has always been expensive in England.

Correct, and correct. I was in London two weeks ago and a hamburger and a coupla glasses of wine cost me $50 with tax and tip. God bless the expense account! :fcross: :cheerswine:

-Skip

True that they are still on the pound.

But when I lived there the dollar was as low as $.05 to the pound. It WAS GREAT! Most of the time that year, 1984, the dollar hovered around $1.30 to the pound. Good times. Now we are at a $2 to the pound exchange rate and it hurts big time. My house rent was just $80/month which was for a 2 bedroom detached home. I lived like a king on my salary when the exchange rate was like that.

For the first time, the "round" mill (bolts and rods) here in town is turning a profit. The Canadian mills would always clobber us....

I have a "Cheap Eats" London guide which is 20 pounds pp. 80 bucks for two people - that is considered "cheap eats" in London. ouch.

I have a "Cheap Eats" London guide which is 20 pounds pp. 80 bucks for two people - that is considered "cheap eats" in London. ouch.

One place I like to go in London is a malasian place near Victoria and Buckingham Palace.

It was 75-100 pounds for one person. OUCH. I won't be eating there anytime soon.

One place I like to go in London is a malasian place near Victoria and Buckingham Palace.

It was 75-100 pounds for one person. OUCH. I won't be eating there anytime soon.

I ate at a French restaurant up in Totenham Court area last January, 15o pounds just for me. I only had 1-glass of wine too!

Indian restaurant down by Kensington was 50 pounds per person. London is now the most expensive city in the world to go out and eat. Made Tokyo look real cheap when I was there week before last.

I ate at a French restaurant up in Totenham Court area last January, 15o pounds just for me. I only had 1-glass of wine too!

Indian restaurant down by Kensington was 50 pounds per person. London is now the most expensive city in the world to go out and eat. Made Tokyo look real cheap when I was there week before last.

Oh, yeah.

There are a couple of places in Sheperd's Market that are decent, including Le Boudin Blanc, and tend to be a bit lower than some of the surrounding neighborhoods. Just don't look in the open doorways to the flats next door. ;)

If you can get outside London, things get less expensive comparatively, but that's all relative. It's almost as cheap to fly Easyjet to Spain and get a good meal there.

London is abysmal. I paid 30 pounds for a Partagas P at Heathrow last year. (I wanted one and didn't bring one with me).

I don't know how Londoners do it. I just don't. :dunno:

Cheers,

-Andrew

I don't know how Londoners do it. I just don't. :dunno:

When I looked at a job in London, the rule was the pay in *pounds* would need to be about the same as the pay in * dollars... iow if you got $150,000 dollars here, you'd be looking at asking for pay of 150,000 UKP over there.

When I looked at a job in London, the rule was the pay in *pounds* would need to be about the same as the pay in * dollars... iow if you got $150,000 dollars here, you'd be looking at asking for pay of 150,000 UKP over there.

that is still mostly true (as of my last trip anyway) but the thing is - I didn't get the impression that jobs paid very well over there, period. When I was job hunting the vast majority of jobs I happened to see in the paper paid somewhere around 20K pounds, sometimes less. Most lower to mid-level attorney jobs I saw paid around 35K pounds, maybe 40K pounds. If you were making close to 100K pounds as an attorney there, I was told that was really doing exceptionally well. I would think the REALLY senior attorneys would make quite a bit more than that, but someone with 5-7 years experience would be lucky to be 6 figures (this remark is based on what I learned in 2001-2002).

I am not certain I'd be at a comfortable std of living in London at 100K pounds. I'm not talking rich, I'm just talking "able to live without roommates or spouse and actually go out to eat, and travel". I think a lot of people live WAY out of town in order to afford to work in London. I have some friends who had very good jobs with international banks and they commuted from Hertsford into town daily. (roughly like living in Leesburg and going to DC every day - but at least there is a train system in the UK).

Makes sense.

I had an offer at about 3/4 of my stated US salary about 2 years ago. Would have been nice, given the way things have trended now, but pay practices over there aren't quite what they are here.

C'est la vie.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Sydney isn't cheap, but these numbers from the UK are making it look reasonable.

I remember $2 to the pound in 1992. 1000 lira to the dollar in Italy. And gas was 1500 lira / liter. About $5.70/gal. Walked into the Hard Rock Cafe in London with our kids, each of us had a burger, fried and a coke and it came to about $75. We thought that was high. After driving around the continent for a few weeks we got back to London and thought it was reasonable. Heck, a Big Mac, fries and a coke in Rome was $10. Ouch!!!

The Canadian dollar is at 97.6 cents compared to the US dollar this morning.

Best it's been in a very long time.

Makes their avgas even more pricey. And the quarterly ATC user fee is a bit higher.

Jon

It happened. Intra-day of 1 USD = .9995 CAD. Currently sits at 1.0018/24.

Sigh.

It happened. Intra-day of 1 USD = .9995 CAD. Currently sits at 1.0018/24.

Sigh.

At today's press conference

"Bush: 'I think I got a B in Econ 101'"

He actually got a C-
President Bush as an undergraduate at Yale did not in fact receive a grade of B in his economics course. Bush received a grade that would correspond with a C-.
A copy of Bush's Yale transcript posted at the humorous website GeorgeWBush.org states that the president received grades of 71 and 72 in Economics. The president took the course during successive semesters of his sophomore year, 1965-66.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/09/20/bush-claims-he-got-a-b-i_n_65171.html

But in my book the economy is getting an F

Back