You got to love Rugby

deonb

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
deonb
In which other sport do they ship your tickets with a bottle opener?

upload_2017-12-8_17-28-31.png

That chit will turn you into an old man fast!

One of my high school English teachers (a long time ago) had a husband who played Rugby while a student at WSU. She wore a lapel button that would get a teacher fired today (no sense of humor anymore) - "It takes leather balls to play Rugby". Take it any way you want and it is correct. :D

One of my high school English teachers (a long time ago) had a husband who played Rugby while a student at WSU. She wore a lapel button that would get a teacher fired today (no sense of humor anymore) - "It takes leather balls to play Rugby". Take it any way you want and it is correct. :D
Another one said, "Rugby Players Eat Their Dead."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Air_Force_Flight_571

Ron Wanttaja

I played Rugy for the University of Delaware Club. A painful but fun game. Closest I ever felt to death was on the bottom of a scrum. On occasion I get recruited for an old hats game but I'm sure I'd get broken if I played now. The post game parties were.....well they were something else. Not sure in this PC world they could sing the songs we used to sing. I enjoy going to the US 7s.

I knew some rugby players in my youth. I swear they perpetually looked like they’d just been in a big fist fight.

My brother in law played rugby for Texas A&M back in 72, 73, 74. One year they did not have enough people to have a full team, so I was recruited. College rules for non-football sports was a lot different back then. I was allowed because the team needed more players.

I was on the high school football team, so I was used to playing hard. I was also used to slamming players into the ground. I was also used to slamming the quarterback after he got rid of the ball.

So, in rugby I was tackling the ball carrier after he tossed the ball to someone else. I tackled hard. Head first ino the opposing players chest or head. It got to the point the ball carriers would toss the ball away when I got within 20 feet to avoid me. In football at the time if the ball carrier threw the ball to someone else you slammed them to the ground anyway so they would remember you. And remember me they did. Apparently that was against the rules in rugby.

I knew some rugby players in my youth. I swear they perpetually looked like they’d just been in a big fist fight.
I knew some people like that too. Turns out they were English Football fans.

Nauga,
who went to a fight and a soccer game broke out

My stepson played in high school and loved it. He was the smallest guy on his team but very fast and a ferocious tackler. His clothes were often in tatters after matches. It's by far my favorite sport to photograph... the facial expressions are priceless.

I think it's a safer sport overall than American football. People tend to not hit their head as much when they don't wear a helmet... Also the rules against dropping someone on the head in Rugby (even by accident) is very strict - you get benched for several games if you do that.

You may have end up with a couple of extra broken bones, but considering all of the head injuries from football, I'd rather have my kids play Rugby than Football.

I think it's a safer sport overall than American football. People tend to not hit their head as much when they don't wear a helmet... Also the rules against dropping someone on the head in Rugby (even by accident) is very strict - you get benched for several games if you do that.

You may have end up with a couple of extra broken bones, but considering all of the head injuries from football, I'd rather have my kids play Rugby than Football.

Back when I was involved in rugby I had the habit of tackling head first like I did in football. I put people on the ground to stay, just like football and the older, bigger guys knew it. In rugby I noticed the other guys had a tendency to try to protect themselves when attempting to tackle someone. Playing football taught me how to use my body and head physically without injuring my head or neck. One time a guy purposely kicked me in the back of my neck. That put me out for several minutes, but when I got back in the game I made a beeline for that guy. He was so fearful of retaliation that all he did was run away from me for the rest of the game.

You might be right on less head injuries in rugby. Most of the players I played against seemed to try to hit with their shoulder or hip instead of a full body slam. Remember I played in 1974 when the name of the game was to hurt the other players, not like sports today.

Unfortunately safety concerns have made sports like football and rugby no more dangerous than touch football when I was a kid. But the safety rules needed to be done and I am glad to see the change.

I played Rugy for the University of Delaware Club. A painful but fun game. Closest I ever felt to death was on the bottom of a scrum. On occasion I get recruited for an old hats game but I'm sure I'd get broken if I played now. The post game parties were.....well they were something else. Not sure in this PC world they could sing the songs we used to sing. I enjoy going to the US 7s.

I played my last 2 years in college. Winger, usually weak side cuz I was the second fastest (second smallest). My worst injury was dislocated jaw when I got stiff armed by our captain during practice. The parties were crazy. Boot the boot!

I played rugby when I was young. It was the funnest sport I played. Rugby is for real men, not like 'murken "football" (aka carry-egg) which is for sissies cuz they need to catch a breath after every few seconds of play. :)

To stay on topic, don't they mail you a beer opener also with curling tickets?

Back