You got an itch on your foot inside shoe/sneaker. What do you REALLY do?

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
While flying the airplane, you have a tingling or itchy foot when wearing your shoes that happens to itch while you are flying.

Now I know that no matter what happens you have to fly the airplane.

But if this ever occurs to you, what do you REALLY do?

Did you try to scratch the itchy foot, or did you fight the urge and continue to fly the airplane? Or at least try to scratch the itch when you are not doing maneuvers that require concentration such as during cruise?

Slip my shoe off and scratch the itch while flying the plane if safe to do so. I dont want to be concerned with an itch the whole flight.

Engage the auto pilot ,then take care of the itch.

Most itches will go away when ignored, but I might try to scratch it with a pen or something. In about four hundred hours, I don't think this has ever been a real issue for me.

If you wear Converse Allstar sneakers (the high tops), it would be very hard to scratch the itchy foot while wearing it. You would have to take the shoe off and scratch the foot.

Trim for level flight and scratch your foot.
I assume everyone takes brief moments, to check for traffic, trim, and snap a couple photos.

This seems like about an equal amount of diversion from pilot duties.

If you wear Converse Allstar sneakers (the high tops), it would be very hard to scratch the itchy foot while wearing it. You would have to take the shoe off and scratch the foot.

Good point, I usually wear something with a thin sole and low ankle cut to be comfortable and so I can feel the rudder imput a little better then with a thick soled shoe.

Stab a knife into your leg. The pain will make you forget about your athletes foot.

.....:rofl: That should work 48 dodge.

I do believe this is the first time I have run across this particular problem being discussed.

Engage autopilot, remove shoe, scratch itch,

(in the backseat if you want).

:)

It takes even more coordination to "use a Gatorade bottle" in flight and lots of us do that.

Tell the passenger...whoever it is..."you have the plane"...immediately let go of the yolk, look down, deal with the itch, put your shoe back on, recover from the inverted spin...easy.

Tell the passenger...whoever it is..."you have the plane"...immediately let go of the yolk, look down, deal with the itch, put your shoe back on, recover from the inverted spin...easy.

What are you doing with eggs in the cockpit?

Having ribs and deviled eggs, what else?

I prefer sunny side up and hash browns for my in flight meal...like you never cook breakfast during a cross country!...sheesh!

Litter harder to cook when you passenger/newly deputized pilot puts you in that spin though...but works well for mixing smoothies.

Be proactive and avoid the itch. Wash feet daily. Wear freshly laundered socks. If you live in New York, rinse socks twice in the laundry cycle.

Be proactive and avoid the itch. Wash feet daily. Wear freshly laundered socks. If you live in New York, rinse socks twice in the laundry cycle.

Unless you live in Charlie Rangels district....... Then you will need hip waders..:wink2::mad2:

Hmmm, I guess I have never thought about it. If my foot itches I scratch it. I don't think there is a ticket for that activity though. May need an interpretation from the Chief Council. Make sure you have filed a flight plan first.

An itch is nothing..I got a cramp in my toes. These cramps bring me jumping out of bed in a cold sleep. When this happened when flying I had to ignore it. It did go away by ignoring it.
Cramps in legs and feet are the worse for me.

Tony

How uncoordinated are some you that you need an autopilot to take a shoe off? One hand on the yoke, the other hand reaches down, unties the shoe and loosens the laces. Use your other foot to push the shoe off. Scratch.

You all make is sound like it's the equivalent of a Shih Tzu trying to **** a beach ball covered in Crisco.

That conjures up a mental picture that is not only hilarious but disturbing at the same time. Perfect!!!

The real question is how you get things back in their place when after a couple hours in the air things shift into a binding position. If you understand, ok, if not don't ask.

Nevermind, I gotta go!!!

That conjures up a mental picture that is not only hilarious but disturbing at the same time. Perfect!!!

The real question is how you get things back in their place when after a couple hours in the air things shift into a binding position. If you understand, ok, if not don't ask.

Nevermind, I gotta go!!!

Take the seat belt off. Frickin' Buckeyes - can't figure anything out.

I am soon to be 58, things hang lower that the LAP belt.

Lets not go there!!!!

If he cannot figure out something simple like this without advice, I don't want to be near him in the pattern.

People with itchy feet should have their medical yanked. The FAA has been contacted by Dr. Sholls about anyone with a shoe size larger than 10 1/2 being an at-risk pilot.

It is an honest question, and even if we have a little fun with it, there is no reason for the "I don't want to be near him in the pattern." crap.

I had someone pull that on me once .... It was not well received!!!

Nevermind, I gotta go!!!

Adjust as needed, if that fails buy a banana hammock

It can get downright painful when you can't get your ducks to fall inline.

Airplane already trimmed, use toe of non-itch cowboy boot to pry off other cowboy boot, scratch, pull boot back on.

Airplane already trimmed, use toe of non-itch cowboy boot to pry off other cowboy boot, scratch, pull boot back on.

Cowboy boots for flying? Wow....Hmm, sounds like a Colorado POA thing. lol I wear shoes when I fly.

David

Cowboy boots for flying? Wow....Hmm, sounds like a Colorado POA thing. lol I wear shoes when I fly.

David

I've worn just about everything except high heels while flying. From no shoes to sandals, tennies, loafers, hiking boots, cowboy boots, military/police boots...

I wear whatever I have on. If it's cowboy boots, it's cowboy boots.

I'm not huge on open toed shoes around the airport but I'm sure it's popular in warmer climes.

Heck I'm not huge on open toed shoes in general. Nobody needs to see my toes.

Back