You are flying along and your airspeed indicator fails

Agreed 100%.... Nothing teaches pilots like the real thing...

My first <2000' runway was just a few weeks ago and that was one time I did check my airspeed and altitude a lot but once on short final it was all eyes out the window and I have to say despite the pucker factor it was a spot on landing. I did see how easily I could have come in hot and just overshot the runway though, that ~2000' looked mighty short compared to my normal field of nearly 4000'.

A lot of great points posters have made. I think to answer OPs question, or to answer the generic question requires a little more info. Specifically, what's your level of training, recent experience, comfort/familiarity with airplane being flown and what aircraft are you flying.

In my opinion, spinning, maneuvering abruptly, or trying to melt the plastic bag is just asking to make a little problem into a big problem. Look into accidents caused by perfectly good airplanes taking off with passenger door open and pilots crashing perfectly good airplanes because they worried about the door rather than just flying normal pattern back to the runway.

If you are flying, for example, a 172 in which you have 300 hours and add a little power, maintain some reasonable pitch attitude and a notch or two of flaps and cut the power at the threshold, you should have no problem landing with 4000 feet of runway if you are anywhere near correct glide slope. I would think even a freshly minted private pilot of reasonable skill should be able to handle this.

Similarly flying a Piper Cub with which you were comfortable. Even if you were to fly full power down to threshold, flare and cut power, 4000 feet is plenty.

If you are a recently minted private pilot who trained in a 172 and just bought a Mooney Ovation in which you have 5 hours when this incident happens, different story. Fifteen knots above proper approach speed will lead to impressive floating and on a hot day, 4000 feet is not a lot of cushion. In this case I'd say set pitch and power as best you can to usual and keep ground speed (everyone has a GPS at least in their phone or ipad) on final at the usually approach speed and you won't come in too quickly (assuming winds aren't howling). Even if winds are howling, your ground speed is normal, so after touchdown (don't force plane down, wait for it to land) you will stop quicker than usual because of the wind. You will not stall this way, your airspeed will be higher than the ground speed by whatever the wind is.

Of course, you'd need to consider winds on downwind and base, since if the winds are blowning down runway, your groundspeed will be greater than airspeed.

In terms of doing this on BFR, great idea. It's easy to find an instructor in my experience who will pass anyone for their BFR. It's harder to find one who will really teach you something. When you find one of these, use them. Money well spent. If a good instructor fails someone on their BFR then I would suspect the instructor has saved them money and possibly their life. Worth it to correct whatever deficit(s) led to failure.

Last edited:
Unless I'm IMC, this is a non-issue.

When I had maybe 6 or 7 hours and was just getting the hang of landings my instructor reached over and slapped one of those instrument covers on my ASI as I turned base. I've practiced this several more times since then and now it's a total non-issue. My CFI makes me practice a lot of power-off flight so the attitude has become pretty intuitive. We also have a short field and a lot of 50+ft trees near the threshold so short final is usually power-off anyway to get down close enough to the threshold. This may be more difficult in other aircraft, but the PA-28 will maintain adequate airspeed in landing configuration as long as you don't apply back pressure.

*Disclaimer: I am just a student and nothing said here should be taken as gospel. I am speaking only from my own limited experience.

I don't think there are any commonly used aircraft where you can trim it into a stall power off. It may even be an airworthiness requirement.

My instructor used to block out the guages frequently. He would always say the most important gauge is your eyes looking out the window, the rest is for quick verification. Once you know the plane you should be able to see, feel and hear the pattern requirements.

My instructor had one student she constantly needed to do that with. He taught himself a lot about flying using a flight simulator, so he got used to staring at the gauges and flying by the numbers. Didn't work out too well in a Cub in real life. Yellow stickies over the few instruments they had.

4000'? Any decent pilot should be able to land a 172 easily in a quarter of that with or without an airspeed instrument. If you can't? Get some training.

:dunno:

I'd probably pull the throttle back to around 1,500 and trim nose up for 700 FPM decent and be close enough to approach speed.

When flying model airplanes you can "feel" when your getting too slow. Works even better when you are actually in the airplane.

Last edited:
4000'? Any decent pilot should be able to land a 172 easily in a quarter of that with or without an airspeed instrument. If you can't? Get some training.

In my case, full nose up trim and about 1200 RPM is about perfect.

If you have a clothes hanger on board, see if you can reach out and remove the bag. If you're in a Piper, well, hopefully you have one of those little baby windows. :dunno: :D

Use your GPS ground speed plus the reported headwind component, figure out what GS gets you your desired Vref and then add the gust factor to that and fly it down.

My instructor used to block out the guages frequently. He would always say the most important gauge is your eyes looking out the window, the rest is for quick verification. Once you know the plane you should be able to see, feel and hear the pattern requirements.

This. On my PPL check ride the examiner said I was watching the airspeed too closely and put a cover on it. I'll know that I have the "feel" of my new airplane when I stop looking at it.

One of the reason's I like POA.

It makes me think I'm a bush pilot.

Our strip is 3000 and change, yesterday I botched the flare in a stiff crosswind so I recovered, botched it again, recovered and still landed with half the strip to go. :dunno:

I would be quickly remembering RPM and trim settings. Coming in a little too fast I wouldn't see as being a huge issue (you can always do a go around), there's also the thought of the 500 fpm decent when on glide slope approach to things. I guess I need to do some self evaluating in this scenario. Fortunately for me I spend most of my time in diamonds and i'm honestly not too sure if they even stall haha.

Get your iPhone turn fore flight on and read the speed on the map in knots

Get an instructor to teach you how to fly without a/s indicator

When all else fails just listen to the airplane it talks to you, when it buffets add power and keep the aoa the same and land and go get more trsining

Maybe. If there is a obstacle, the POH says not to try, min distance is around 1300. Also if you're over 3000 MSL and its summer, you might not get out again on a 1000' strip. If it's over 6000 MSL, you're probably renting a truck to get it out at any time of year.

Whatever. I'm fixing to head out to the strip I've used for almost 25 years. It's about 1000' and has 100' trees on one end so they're in play for coming or going most days. Most of my years I've used my 180 but prior to that I had a 172. The POH lists gross weight performance. The smart pilot won't operate heavy into and out of short places until he knows that airplane well. That's how it's done.

I recall my CFI putting a T-Shirt over the panel and telling me to fly the pattern and land. every now and then he would ask me what our speed was, and expect me to know it. Once I got comfortable with the plane, I rarely relied on instruments more than the picture out the window, once I set throttle for the pattern.
As time goes by, I bet you will find you know the numbers in your plane, and an instrument out won't upset you much at all.
After having a good CFI, I find the best advice goes back to keep your head out of the cockpit, know your speed by the way your plane is performing, and fly the plane all the way to the hanger.

Back