You are booked on a 5:00am Sunday flight from RDU...

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Rushie, Dec 7, 2018 at 7:53 AM.

  1. Rushie

    Rushie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,868
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Rushie
    Connection is DFW final destination Little Rock.

    American Airlines has offered you a free change.

    Do you take it?
     
  2. flyingron

    flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2007
    Messages:
    15,566
    Location:
    Catawba, NC
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    FlyingRon
    Which day? If you're scheduled for Sunday, I'd try to get out today or tomorrow!
     
  3. FormerHangie

    FormerHangie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2013
    Messages:
    2,288
    Location:
    Roswell, GA
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    FormerHangie
    Do you want to be in NC or AR? Things may get kind of snarled for a few days.

    If you want to be in AR, you might want to get out tomorrow. RDU may be a no go all of Sunday.
     
  4. Anymouse

    Anymouse En-Route

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2007
    Messages:
    2,969
    Location:
    Clinton, AR (Sometimes)
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Total Stud Bush Pilot
  5. eman1200

    eman1200 Touchdown! Greaser!

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2013
    Messages:
    10,294
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    eman1200
    free change to when?
     
  6. JOhnH

    JOhnH Touchdown! Greaser!

    Joined:
    May 20, 2009
    Messages:
    10,827
    Location:
    Florida
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Spun Out
    Not enough info. Why are they offering? What motivation would you have for accepting or declining?
     
  7. Rushie

    Rushie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,868
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Rushie
    Deigo. :D
     
  8. SCCutler

    SCCutler Administrator Management Council Member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2005
    Messages:
    16,404
    Location:
    Dallas
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Spike Cutler
    OK, I am completely confused.

    Did the airline offer you a change because of the prospective possibility of poor weather and a bad connection?

    And what change did they offer you?
     
  9. GRG55

    GRG55 Final Approach

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2015
    Messages:
    5,387
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    Stay home. Light a fire. Mix a hot rum toddie and a good book.
    You won't miss experiencing the TSA either. ;)
     
  10. Rushie

    Rushie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,868
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Rushie
    Yep you're right. Family members think I know all the ins and outs of airline scheduling in weather and cancelation/change policies just because I've flown a plane before.

    I just read the link they sent her, they are offering a change with no CHANGE FEE. That means just the $200 change fee is waived but she'd still have to pay any additional cost for the ticket, right?
     
  11. Ravioli

    Ravioli Final Approach

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2014
    Messages:
    5,701
    Location:
    Fort Worth
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Pasta Man
    When I'm in high volume flying, I take that offer every time.

    I'll move it early if Monday is critical. Or wait it out. But since I'm typically Mon-Fri if I can't get there until Wed I scrub the trip. They've always been no-fee cancels when the trip became too short to make sense. Probably not to be nice, just to have one less passenger to re-accommodate.
     
  12. Rushie

    Rushie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,868
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Rushie
    Yep, they are saying the flight is still scheduled to be on time but weather forecast is for snow and freezing rain to begin by 4:00am on Sunday so they are proactively offering her a chance to change the flight without a change fee, for any day through the 15th.
     
  13. Rushie

    Rushie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,868
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Rushie
    That's what I'm trying to talk her into. It's not a critical trip that she couldn't hold off til January actually. Would be a pain to postpone but not matter of life or death.
     
    TCABM likes this.
  14. Ravioli

    Ravioli Final Approach

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2014
    Messages:
    5,701
    Location:
    Fort Worth
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Pasta Man
    If there is an involuntary reroute involved they typically do not charge the fare difference. (keep in mind, I'm at the top tier of their elite program YMMV)
     
  15. MichiPilot

    MichiPilot Pre-takeoff checklist

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2014
    Messages:
    336
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    MichiPilot
  16. Rushie

    Rushie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,868
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Rushie
    Yup hubby just told me that too, no ticket price increase unless she gets a higher grade seat.
     
  17. Ryanb

    Ryanb Final Approach PoA Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2010
    Messages:
    8,000
    Location:
    Tennessee
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Ryan
    Depends how badly they need to get there.

    Last summer I was at EWR and my flight home was overbooked. They offered something like a $700 credit toward a future flight and offered a re-route through ATL and then connect home from there. I waffled back and forth trying to decide if I wanted to take it. Kept asking myself, ‘do I want to risk getting stuck in Newark if the flight cancels or should I take the chance and get the voucher for another flight.’ I decided IM GOING FOR IT! Just as I started to walk up to the counter, some lady beat me to it.

    Dang it!
     
    Rushie likes this.
  18. TCABM

    TCABM Line Up and Wait

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2013
    Messages:
    812
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    TCABM
    I’ve been where you are now. The decision you’re being asked to advise on isn’t whether to push the trip a month.

    In cases like this, assuming you’re being asked by an adult age person, I’ve learned to simply ask what they think they should do.

    Then ask why they think it should be done. Then ask what challenges they see with that course of action.

    Then sum it up with, what do you think now?

    And then I close with ‘I’m glad you asked me about this. I wish I could be more helpful, but there’s just so many variable and I don’t know enough about <whatever it is> to really answer this question, as the decision is yours and the impact is to you.
     
    Rushie likes this.
  19. SoonerAviator

    SoonerAviator En-Route

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    3,585
    Location:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    As long as the flight from RDU makes it out, she'd be fine. DFW and Little Rock will be clear of any weather issues.
     
  20. Rushie

    Rushie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,868
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Rushie
    She changed it to tomorrow. No price increase at all.

    I think she made the right decision, she's going to get out just before it hits NC and should be all gone by the time she returns on Thursday.

    Winter flying in the east... yuk.
     
  21. F01LA

    F01LA Line Up and Wait

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2012
    Messages:
    525
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    5446
    Hopefully that's enough. I seem to trigger massive eastern snowstorms every time I plan a trip. One thing I learned.. don't cut it close. I had a flight into Charlotte canceled even though it would have been 8 hours before a storm hit. The thinking is that the airlines want to send planes away from storms, not into them.
     
  22. Rushie

    Rushie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,868
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Rushie
    Yeah now I'm worried. They've changed her to connect in Charlotte and nothing was available except evening, so she'll be connecting tomorrow evening in Charlotte. I'm not liking that much better. If it was me I'd have canceled the whole trip.
     
  23. Hang 4

    Hang 4 Pre-takeoff checklist

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2017
    Messages:
    283
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Hang 4
    So first leg is RDU - Charlotte?

    If it were me and it was an important trip, I'd do a one way rental car from RDU to CLT - pretty much right now. Get American to let me board CLT on a flight today. The airline wants to get people out and CLT DFW is hub to hub, so lots of flights.

    If the trip is not urgent, then just go some other time as you seem to be suggesting and take advantage of the free change fee.
     
    F01LA likes this.
  24. Rushie

    Rushie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,868
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Rushie
    Yep now the first leg is to CLT. I doubt she'd rent a car but I passed along the idea.

    Pffft.. She already got her free change, she thinks they'll charge her if she tries to change again. Oh well, it'll be what it'll be.
     
  25. Ghery

    Ghery Final Approach

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2005
    Messages:
    9,309
    Location:
    Olympia, Washington
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    Some times you even get an upgrade for no extra cost. My wife and I were riding UA back from CDG this past April, connecting through ORD to SEA. UA was worried about snow in ORD and offered us a no charge re-route. The second option on the web site had us leaving CDG an hour and a half earlier, changing planes in EWR. Coach tickets purchased, but that option was Polaris Business from CDG to EWR and First in a premium service plane from EWR to SEA. No extra charge. First time my wife had ridden in those seats. Took that option in a heartbeat. No extra cost. UA can do that anytime they want. I guess being a Million Mile flier and having Premier Gold (at a minimum) for life has its advantages. :D
     
    Rushie likes this.
  26. wsuffa

    wsuffa Touchdown! Greaser!

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2005
    Messages:
    21,743
    Location:
    DC Suburbs
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Bill S.
    Ever since US Air bought AA they have been far less willing to make a second change. Even for high-value customers.

    I would have either canceled or changed to a better time. Tomorrow may or may not be enough, especially going through Charlotte. Be ready to make a backup hotel reservation in Charlotte (though the hotels have you over a barrel since they put in 48 hour cancel policies).
     
  27. bflynn

    bflynn En-Route

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2012
    Messages:
    4,431
    Location:
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Brian Flynn
    Similar - I have a flight Monday morning and debating to moving to tomorrow because it is kinda critical for me to make it to Austin on Monday.

    Still unknown how much snow/ice we will get.
     
  28. FlyingElvii

    FlyingElvii Pre-takeoff checklist

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2016
    Messages:
    474
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    flyingElvii
    Yes....
    Sunday p
    Yes....
    Get out of RDU on Saturday, or plan on staying until Tuesday.
    We are already planning for overflights, and no Saturday layovers in the affected cities.
     
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 8:17 PM
  29. Rushie

    Rushie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,868
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Rushie
    Her flight from CLT to LIT tonight got canceled and so AA automatically re-booked her on a Monday morning flight out of RDU. So she got them on the phone (after a more than 2 hour wait) and the lady told her the Monday morning flight might also be canceled, so she canceled the whole trip, and they gave her a full refund.
     
    murphey, TCABM, Zeldman and 2 others like this.
  30. bflynn

    bflynn En-Route

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2012
    Messages:
    4,431
    Location:
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Brian Flynn
    I tried to get out early, but all flights for today out of Raleigh are booked. Well, I will hope for the best.
     
  31. Hang 4

    Hang 4 Pre-takeoff checklist

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2017
    Messages:
    283
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Hang 4
    That sounds like a good answer. Going to be a mess for while.
     
  32. Rushie

    Rushie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,868
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Rushie
    Looks like tons of flights are delayed or canceled. What's your latest info? Any chance you can cancel your important Austin thing?
     
  33. bflynn

    bflynn En-Route

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2012
    Messages:
    4,431
    Location:
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Brian Flynn
    Nope, I have to be in Austin or I'll do it over the phone (ugh).

    SWA has cancelled everything out of RDU today. All the other guys are struggling, but I get the sense they've given up. A few flights went out this morning, but nothing since about 12, everything says cancelled.

    I'm debating carefully driving over to the airport with luggage and trying to get on anything going anywhere. I don't think tomorrow morning is going to be any better.
     
  34. Rushie

    Rushie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,868
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Rushie
    Drive to Wilmington, get one of the 6:15 flights to Atlanta and from there get a flight to Austin late tonight.

    You'd have to leave like, right now. :D
     
  35. bflynn

    bflynn En-Route

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2012
    Messages:
    4,431
    Location:
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Brian Flynn
    It's sold out. So is Fayetteville. GSO, RIC and CLT will be no good.

    Guess I'm stuck and hoping we don't get freezing rain at 5 am tomorrow..
     
  36. Rushie

    Rushie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,868
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Rushie
    I think you're turning out to be right.
     
  37. bflynn

    bflynn En-Route

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2012
    Messages:
    4,431
    Location:
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Brian Flynn
    And I'm cancelled. Sigh

    I wonder if National will give m a car in this garbage...

    All the flights out of RDU on Saturday were sold out on Thursday.
     
  38. Rushie

    Rushie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,868
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Rushie
    You mean to DRIVE to Austin?
     
  39. FormerHangie

    FormerHangie Pattern Altitude

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2013
    Messages:
    2,288
    Location:
    Roswell, GA
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    FormerHangie
    That's a long way.

    My daughter goes to school in State College, PA, we're in Atlanta. She was scheduled to fly out on the Friday before Thanksgiving, and on the day before, the mid atlantic got about eight inches of snow. Her flight on Friday was delayed two and a half hours, and she wasn't going to make her connection, and there was nothing open until Monday. I was ready to get her a hotel room in Detroit which is where her connection was, but she's 18 and has never traveled by herself before, and didn't want to do that so I went and got her. I left my office at 3 PM, got to northern Virginia at 12:45 AM, left there at 6:15 AM, got to State College at 9:05, left there at 9:15, and was home at 10:15 that night.

    I averaged 48 mph including the time I was sleeping.
     
  40. bflynn

    bflynn En-Route

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2012
    Messages:
    4,431
    Location:
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Display Name:

    Display name:
    Brian Flynn
    Drive to Atlanta, I could make it to Austin tomorrow easily. No, Austin is like a 20 hour drive.

    I'm rebooked on American, hoping they aren't going to be flaky. Will be pretty upset if they sold me a ticket on a flight they never intended to fly. But it feels like SWA isn't even trying, they best they could do with rebooking would have gotten me there Tuesday night.