iBazinga!
For the MoT

attachment.php

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

• yom-kippur-ecard-someecards.png
    yom-kippur-ecard-someecards.png
    43 KB · Views: 135
I did not stay home for Rosh Hashanna, but will for Yom Kippur. I normally fast as well. One of the few things I do to continue my ancestral tradition. A very good holiday to those to whom it applies.

Not naming any names here, but some of you sinners appear to have some serious atoning to do, and may need to apply for an extension. It could take more than one day. :tongue:

Not naming any names here, but some of you sinners appear to have some serious atoning to do, and may need to apply for an extension. It could take more than one day. :tongue:

It's not one day. It starts on Rosh Hashona(h) and ends on Yom Kippur. Once upon a time, I wandered to my parents house for a few days between (I had moved out of state years before but tried to get back for a few days at least during the holidays)...Mom asked what I wanted to do and my reply was "Let's go to Vegas". She wasn't horrified, but commented "you're supposed to be atoning for your sins this year..." My reply? "Been a slow year, let's go to Vegas so I have something to atone for"

Yes, we went.

Back in the 60s/70s one of the stand-up comics once remarked that Vegas was empty on 2 days of the year - Easter when the Catholics stayed home, and Yom Kippur when the Jews stayed home.

One of my Israeli friends said they close the roads there on Yom Kippur. The kids all get to go out and ride on the freeway with their bicycles. Sounds utterly magical.

One of my Israeli friends said they close the roads there on Yom Kippur. The kids all get to go out and ride on the freeway with their bicycles. Sounds utterly magical.
In Tel Aviv I was made the mistake of getting on the 'kosher' elevator during the Sabbath. When I walked out of my room to the elavator one was there with the doors open, I walked in hit the floor I wanted to go to, the doors closed then we proceeded to stop at every single floor. I had forgotten about the button pushing issues that some observe and during the Sabbath this elevator was just programmed to keep stopping at every single floor. You would just get in and ride it until it got to where you wanted to be.

In Tel Aviv I was made the mistake of getting on the 'kosher' elevator during the Sabbath. When I walked out of my room to the elavator one was there with the doors open, I walked in hit the floor I wanted to go to, the doors closed then we proceeded to stop at every single floor. I had forgotten about the button pushing issues that some observe and during the Sabbath this elevator was just programmed to keep stopping at every single floor. You would just get in and ride it until it got to where you wanted to be.

That's actually happened to me a few times when working in some of the Jewish neighborhoods here. Many apartment buildings with large communities of observant Jews have at least one elevator programmed to work that way.

I actually find myself observing quite a few Jewish traditions, partly because of my admiration of Judaism (especially the ethics), and partly because many of my best friends, from early childhood on, have been Jewish. Contemplating one's failings and weaknesses on Yom Kippur is, I think, a good practice for anyone to observe.

I first learned about Jewish traditions when I was a little kid pulling duty as a Shabbos goy at my best friend Bernie's house. As I grew, I developed many other friendships with Jewish people, and came to appreciate the rich tradition of ethics that permeates Jewish thought.

I picked up quite a bit of the lingo along the way, too: In my renewal spreadsheet, charity accounts that I service for free are labeled Mitzvot.

-Rich

Last edited:
An Easy Fast to those who observe. May your year be filled with health, happiness, and wisdom.

No flying on Yom Kipppur...and the weather looks great this weekend. Sunday, however, is another story!

Ahhhh the dreaded Shabbat Elevator. It will drive you mad I tell you totally mad! You think they are bad in Tel Aviv try Jerusalem your lucky if you get one that isn't on a shabbat switch.

Easy Fast to all and to those I have wronged well I'm very sorry and ask your forgiveness even though you probably deserved it.:D

I seek atonement for that which I have done wrong and the weaknesses in my character. Problem is, I've wronged no one and have not weaknesses. I'm just perfect.

Some of my friends in NY did a lot of atoning at the tennis court. Dickie Ader became quite accomplished at tennis, never did know how good he was at atoning.

I seek atonement for that which I have done wrong and the weaknesses in my character. Problem is, I've wronged no one and have not weaknesses. I'm just perfect.

There's a 172 out of somewhere in Connecticut or LI that's liveried like an El Al aircraft...strange idea, I always wondered if that violated the design copyright of the company, and if the owner thought it made a difference in mistake-free flying. If that was the case, I would paint my plane like a Hebrew National Hot Dog package, and fly with the notion that I report to a higher authority (higher even than the FAA!):wink2:

Last edited:
There's an RV6 out here in Colorado that's painted exactly like a United airplane - dark grey & blue. Really surprising the first time you see it among a large group of other RVs.

I went to visit my cousin who was living in a big tall building in Chicago years ago. It was something like 40+ floors. So of course as soon as we start up, he said adults are no fun and starts pushing every single button on the panel. Every floor button on the panel was lit up by the time we were done. Some boring idget programmer had kidproofed the thing. It waits until it gets to your floor then stops and lets you out. The doors close and a few seconds later all the button lights go off and it doesn't go floor chasing. Total Bummer.

Me too. Not one flaw. My congregation, on the other hand, has lots to atone for, so I show up to daven for them. :D

G'mar chatimah tovah to thems that know what that means.

Matt

There's an RV6 out here in Colorado that's painted exactly like a United airplane - dark grey & blue. Really surprising the first time you see it among a large group of other RVs.
attachment.php

Attachments

• United Jr.jpg
    United Jr.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 59

The roads are not closed on Yom Kippur (it's not illegal to drive) - but they are virtually empty.

In the Ultra Orthodox neighborhoods, the fanatics will throw stones if you are crazy enough to venture into their territory...:eek:

Stone throwing and burning garbage bins are the only sports they're good at...:D

Gmar Chatima Tova to everybody

Fortunately the hotel we stayed in last year in Tel Aviv was only 3 floors high or so. The Sabbath elevator wasn't much of an issue. :D

So let me understand, you can use the elevator, just not push the buttons? :confused:

So let me understand, you can use the elevator, just not push the buttons? :confused:

Something like that. The elevator stops at every floor automatically. The elevator takes you up, but you don't participate materially, so you don't work on the holiday. That's the logic (or lack thereof) as I understand it.

Something like that. The elevator stops at every floor automatically. The elevator takes you up, but you don't participate materially, so you don't work on the holiday. That's the logic (or lack thereof) as I understand it.

Pretty much correct. Its not so much pushing the buttons Mari as it is creating the " fire" electricity to set it in motion. For example the orthodox will not turn on a light but will read in a room with a light already on.

Yep.

Depending on how religious and observant one is, the rules can be quite onerous. There are 39 catagories of things that are not allowed in addition to specific rules that are found in the Torah.

Breaking the rules is considered a desecration and the penalty is death! But who is to carry out that punishment is not clear and I have yet to see a bolt of lightening hit close by when I tie my shoes on a Saturday morning. :cheerswine:

http://www.zomet.org.il/eng/ develops Sabbath appropriate technology. They develop loop hole solutions for the word of G-d

There's a 172 out of somewhere in Connecticut or LI that's liveried like an El Al aircraft...strange idea, I always wondered if that violated the design copyright of the company, and if the owner thought it made a difference in mistake-free flying. If that was the case, I would paint my plane like a Hebrew National Hot Dog package, and fly with the notion that I report to a higher authority (higher even than the FAA!):wink2:

Its actually a C206 and it belongs to an ultra orthodax pilot who lives on Long Island. He flies down here now and then.

Its actually a C206 and it belongs to an ultra orthodax pilot who lives on Long Island. He flies down here now and then.

I'd love to see a photo of that. If we could get the N number we could look for it on airliners.net

My tail number is N613BH. Some folks on this thread may get the significance

A passenger posted a short video on YouTube. Search by tail no. Can't see much of the plane though. I suppose I should upload some photos somewhere.

Back