Yoke System for IFR practice

I'm wondering whether to purchase a Pro Flight Yoke System and Flight Simulator to practice instrument flying at home. Does that make sense?
http://airnav.pltshp.com/itemdesc.a...7-FB9FA3EVEREST20C53F}&ic=021165106994&eq=&Tp=

I did and it still does to me. I found it a good asset once you have the scan and basic flying down and are working on approaches. Hide the outside view go with full panel picture on the screen and you can practice all you want for free.

It also helps to refresh and get comfortable with the scan again when you haven't flown for a while.

Can't stand stuff on the yoke, gets in the way of viewing the instruments. No point in a kneeboard if the plate isn't there.

I don't have a problem with yokes and pedals and radio stacks at home. They make gaming more fun but I question whether it adds enough to your learning to be worth the money.

I strongly encourage using the home simulator to practice what you have already covered in lessons.

In my opinion the benefits from this practice are:

• Refining the instrument scan, interpretation and crosscheck.
  • Improved situational awareness in the instrument environment.
  • Refining, and reinforcing procedures.
  • Becoming familiar with new approach plates.
  • Practice managing workload issues.
What you don't get is a good feel for the airplane, so you learn to do whatever is necessary to get the instruments to behave the way you want them.

If you spend a lot of money to make the home sim more like the airplane it does help but I consider the silly twisting the joystick to center the ball, the need to use the mouse or keyboard to lower the flaps, the cat jumping in my lap, and my wife insisting I share my feelings right now on some topic I haven't thought about all to be "reasonable distractions".

Once you get through about 3/4 of the training, it is all about the workload and how to handle unfamiliar and creative distractions.

Your mileage may vary, and if you want a yoke, by all means I'm not saying it is better without one. Just don't expect it to make MSFS or XPlane feel like a real 172.

Joe

I don't have a problem with yokes and pedals and radio stacks at home. They make gaming more fun but I question whether it adds enough to your learning to be worth the money.

I strongly encourage using the home simulator to practice what you have already covered in lessons.

In my opinion the benefits from this practice are:

• Refining the instrument scan, interpretation and crosscheck.
  • Improved situational awareness in the instrument environment.
  • Refining, and reinforcing procedures.
  • Becoming familiar with new approach plates.
  • Practice managing workload issues.
What you don't get is a good feel for the airplane, so you learn to do whatever is necessary to get the instruments to behave the way you want them.

If you spend a lot of money to make the home sim more like the airplane it does help but I consider the silly twisting the joystick to center the ball, the need to use the mouse or keyboard to lower the flaps, the cat jumping in my lap, and my wife insisting I share my feelings right now on some topic I haven't thought about all to be "reasonable distractions".

Once you get through about 3/4 of the training, it is all about the workload and how to handle unfamiliar and creative distractions.

Your mileage may vary, and if you want a yoke, by all means I'm not saying it is better without one. Just don't expect it to make MSFS or XPlane feel like a real 172.

Joe

Joe,
That's what I want, really good advice.

My thinking on this is: I've noticed that every year I get a little bit older and have a little bit more difficulty learning new tricks.:mad2: Any advantage I can give myself in learning IFR is worth at least considering.

I figure it might be smart to convert some of the time spent losing at Solitaire on the computer into practicing my scan. You listed another four benefits.

On the other hand, I could never get Flight Simulator to work with the mouse and keyboard. Did I mention I'm getting older? I kind of understand how a yoke and rudder pedals work in controlling an airplane and have a feel for it. I suppose that is why using the mouse and keyboard don't work for me.

As far as the wife and cat. I have neither.

I've used the Elite instrument trainer for years. I think it cost $700 back then and was worth every penny. I already has the ratings, but used it for teaching and keeping myself up to speed (but obviously not for the required 6X stuff). Instrument flying is about allocating your attention to different tasks, and it really doesn't matter if you're moving a flap or gear lever or moving the mouse for the same purpose.

The mechanics of flying an ILS are the same (increasing senstitiviy, etc) in the plane or the desk, as are figruing out crab corrections in holding patterns, procedure turns and many other tasks. And for sharpening up your scan after a few days away from the airplane, they are wonderful tools.

I got a copy of On Top for Christmas, along with a yoke/throttle quadrant and rudder pedals. Recommended by my CFII. Good practice. In fact, I think I need to get off the board and practice the flight we wanted to do today (didn't fly due to weather) and hope to do tomorrow. OLM to HQM and back. ILS rwy 24 at HQM and ILS rwy 17 at OLM.

Now if I could just get a fixed gear 182 on On Top with steam gauges, rather than a G1000 panel...

I got a copy of On Top for Christmas, along with a yoke/throttle quadrant and rudder pedals.
Now if I could just get a fixed gear 182 on On Top with steam gauges, rather than a G1000 panel...

Are you saying that your version of On Top has a G1000 option to the panel? I have an old version of On Top that predates glass, and might consider upgrading to learn about glass. My On Top lets you customize your panel with respect to DG/HSI, ADF indicator/RMI, that sort of thing. Of course, I might never fly a plane with glass, so maybe such an education might be pointless.

Wells

Having a yoke and pedals really does improve Microsoft Flight Simulator a lot. The best consumer products are the CH products and Saitek line.

I've got the CH pro yoke and Saitek pedals. They've given me years of faithful service. I think you'll find them helpful, Peggy.

Peggy,

I agree wholeheartedly with the advice given here. I think using MSFS and yoke and pedals reduced the IR dual and practice requirement considerably.

I still use it to practice stuff when I haven't flown IMC for a while. I've also used it to practice new approaches before I go somewhere new and busy.

Reguarding yokes - I've read a couple of recommendations of removing the centering springs. Anybody here done that?

I've been using a joystick, the Saitek AV8R-01. Just not that happy with it for approaches and the like.

I've a Saitek yoke ordered that should be here this week. :)

marc

Are you saying that your version of On Top has a G1000 option to the panel? I have an old version of On Top that predates glass, and might consider upgrading to learn about glass. My On Top lets you customize your panel with respect to DG/HSI, ADF indicator/RMI, that sort of thing. Of course, I might never fly a plane with glass, so maybe such an education might be pointless.

Wells

Yup. Version 9.5. Simplest plane is a C-172P w/ a G430. There's a C-182R with glass (G1000), a C-182RG with a bit of flexibility (as you've described) and others, up to a Beech 1900. I'd love to have the panel in the RG in the straight leg 182.

Oh, and I have the Saitek yoke and pedals.

Back