YIKES!

Half Fast

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Half Fast
So I'm sitting here in my study in the basement. I just finished a database update for my iFly 740b. I set it on the bookcase behind my desk to let it finish charging while I'm sitting here calmly posting wisdom onto POA. All of a sudden it must have realized it was below ground level, because a LOUD squawk alert sounded and it began warning "TERRAIN! TERRAIN! TERRAIN!"

I almost fell out of my chair before I realized I wasn't even in an airplane! (The alerts certainly do get one's attention.)

Did it tell you to "pull up!"

So I'm sitting here in my study in the basement. I just finished a database update for my iFly 740b. I set it on the bookcase behind my desk to let it finish charging while I'm sitting here calmly posting wisdom onto POA. All of a sudden it must have realized it was below ground level, because a LOUD squawk alert sounded and it began warning "TERRAIN! TERRAIN! TERRAIN!"

I almost fell out of my chair before I realized I wasn't even in an airplane! (The alerts certainly do get one's attention.)

Good thing no one was injured.

Last edited:
I was watching a YT video earlier today of somebody landing at a small airport, a normal landing, and that thing (whatever device it was) kept squawking, "TERRAIN! TERRAIN! PULL UP!"

Do most pilots really put up with that?

I was watching a YT video earlier today of somebody landing at a small airport, a normal landing, and that thing (whatever device it was) kept squawking, "TERRAIN! TERRAIN! PULL UP!"

The 740 disables that when I’m in the vicinity of an airport. When I’ve practiced engine failures and dropped low toward an open field, it goes off until I acknowledge the warning.

Bitchin’ Betty (standard crew in the G3X) usually announces “500’”and “Warning, Terrain” on base and final in the RV-10. Also “descent rate” when I do lazy 8’s and wingovers. Slightly annoying, but could be helpful if I lose SA.

Unless you have heard “missile tracking” in your headset it’s just fun and games…but yeah that’s hilarious…made me smile.

It can be annoying. On the G500 you can disable that audio warning, but it resets every time after shutdown. It's particularly annoying to passengers who think we're going to hit one of the clearly visible nearby peaks. Flying around Alaska (and even Vermont) in VFR conditions in close proximity to terrain it doesn't tell you anything you don't already know. What makes it even more annoying is that the warning is announced through the overhead speaker.

I've talked to the avionics shop about installing a push-to-disable button, which they can do, but I haven't done that yet. Apparently the annoying voice was part of the certification process.

Unless you have heard “missile tracking” in your headset it’s just fun and games…but yeah that’s hilarious…made me smile.
I don't know. The ground has an overall better success rate than missiles, and @Half Fast's chair is nicknamed (as of now, by me) the Sidewinder for a reason.

Yeah I guess I’m used to hearing that, I’ve adjusted the limits to 25’ / 100’ for warning and caution and limited the corridor to 0.5nm, still goes off too much. I want to hear the audible noise but I don’t want it to block my foreflight screen especially when I’m flying VMC.

In Alaska and flying in the mountains, I did welcome those alerts so I could gauge my clearance over the mountains. You’d suddenly lose altitude and want to make sure you can clear the ground / obstacles / wires / poles / trees / etc.

just as aside.... there have been CFIT "incidents" with the "TERRAIN TERRAIN PULL UP PULL UP" warning clearly audible on the CVR.

just as aside.... there have been CFIT "incidents" with the "TERRAIN TERRAIN PULL UP PULL UP" warning clearly audible on the CVR.

And also with the stall horn blaring. I'm not sure "PULL UP" is the best warning since people will sometimes pull themselves right into a stall.

My wife and I were watching a movie one night. I had my eyes closed, dozing but still listening. I must have fallen asleep because suddenly I heard a noise that sounded like a stall warning horn. I quickly sat up reaching to push the yoke forward.

My wife asked me what was wrong. I told her I had a dream that I was being chased by a bunch of young, pretty teenage cheerleaders and I was trying to push them away...

My wife and I were watching a movie one night. I had my eyes closed, dozing but still listening. I must have fallen asleep because suddenly I heard a noise that sounded like a stall warning horn. I quickly sat up reaching to push the yoke forward.

My wife asked me what was wrong. I told her I had a dream that I was being chased by a bunch of young, pretty teenage cheerleaders and I was trying to push them away...

and did she actually believe that load of happy horse manure?

and did she actually believe that load of happy horse manure?

She's Asian. I never know what she is thinking.

As long as she prepares American style food for me, I know I am Ok.

When the Asian food comes out, and I don't mean American style Asian food, I know I am in trouble... :sigh:

She's Asian. I never know what she is thinking.

As long as she prepares American style food for me, I know I am Ok.

When the Asian food comes out, and I don't mean American style Asian food, I know I am in trouble... :sigh:

she is a woman, being asian isn't a requirement for you not understanding her (if you will forgive the tortured english)

I think it's OK not to understand women. I read it recently, but don't remember where, a quote that was more or less 'it's ok to not understand women. Women understand women, and they all hate each other.'

File and ASRS, take two aspirin, and call me in the morning.

Back