Yet another refuge from Rec.Aviation.*

GigG601XL

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gig Giacona
Hello all, My name is Gig Giacona and I am yet another refugee from the USENET Aviation Forums. I live in El Dorado AR and fly out of South Arkansas Regional Airport (KELD).

I've had my PPL-A since 1979 and my PPL-R/H since '96. I'm currently building a Zenith 601XL with a William Wynne built Corvair engine and hope to have it in the air in the next 6-9 months.

Hello Gig, welcome to PoA.

I used to live in El Dorado ever so long ago. I took my first airplane ride standing in the baggage area of a Cessna 150 at the downtown airport. Is the spudnut shop still in business?

Yes the Spudnut Shop is still there and going strong. Which is more than I can say for the two airports. I took Weds-Fri off last week because the engine for my plane came in and I wanted to work on it. I was at KELD for 3 days all day and not a single plane other than Murphy Oil's jets and Mesa Airlines took off. There were two transiants one a Canadair and a Robinson R22 that stopped by but that was it.

When did you live here gibbons?

Hey!

ELD was one of my IFR x-c airports back during training...on the way to pick up a plane at Mena from the paint shop.

If you're bored buzz down to M11 and see what a really small airport is like. We've sold like 1500 gals of avgas since last Nov and I bought half of it myself.

Look forward to seeing that Zenith in the air!

Hi all,
yet another another usenet refugee. After posting frequently to usenet for several years, the noise slowly but steadily snuffed out my flame. It's nice seeing a lot of old names/faces here and hopefully PoA will give me the spark I need.

About me: Took my PPL checkride in 1986, then went on to get my IR. Took several years off to start a family, build a house, then started in on my Commercial cert, CFI, CFII, and Multi rating. Joined with 2 partners to purchase a 1966 Piper Aztec and tacked on my MEI a couple years ago. Currently (slowly) working on my A&P the hard way by logging time while working under A&P friends. In real life I'm a potato farmer that uses aviation as a way to escape both the Wisconsin winters and day to day stresses.

Jim

Welcome aboard, Jim...

Which end of Wisconsin? I might find myself over that way soon, and maybe somewhat frequently: my roommate's parents live in Merrill.

Hey Jay,
I fly out of STE, Stevens Point. How much longer before you get your hands on your new baby?

Montblack here.

I am also a rec.aviation.* refugee. Haven't posted there since last November.

I'm having a few ...issues with this new forum interface - new for me.

One question, where is the main hang out?

Montblack

How much longer before you get your hands on your new baby?
I'm in Eastman, Georgia, spending the next couple of days or so finishing up squawks and getting checked out in the airplane at the AMD factory. If I don't own it yet, I will tomorrow (some question on when the wire transfer will complete). I got a ride in it today, but wound up in the right seat, so I didn't get any practice in.

If I don't own it yet, I will tomorrow.
At least you got a ride in it! Sounds awfully exciting, bet you don't get much sleep tonight! How long for the checkout and finality's before you head north with it?

Montblack here.

I am also a rec.aviation.* refugee. Haven't posted there since last November.

Montblack
Welcome!

As you say, it's a new interface to you. It'll become second nature shortly! :yes: As to the main hangout, I'm not sure there really is one.

Experiment to find the way you want to read messages. We each have different ways of reading the posts.

Personally, I have newest first, exclude the Spin Zone from inclusion in searches, and use the "New Posts" link to keep up with things. Spin Zone is arguably the most active area, and unarguably the most contentious. I used to use the "Home" link to see the most recently updated threads.

At least you got a ride in it! Sounds awfully exciting, bet you don't get much sleep tonight!
It is. I've wanted an airplane for 20 years, and I finally get to have one - and not just any airplane, but a new one, that was built to my specifications.

How long for the checkout and finality's before you head north with it?
AVEMCO wants 2 hours minimum before I solo it; we're negotiating right now whether that needs to be with a CFI, or if the factory test pilot (who's not a CFI, but does have a couple of thousand hours in the Zodiac) will do. In any event, more is better, so I'm not complaining either way. We're still working on some squawks, too. It'll be tomorrow, at least, and likely Friday before I'm done and fly it away.

Once I do that, I've got a bunch of folks who want to see it. My route home is essentially EZM (Eastman, GA, home of the factory)-14A (Lake Norman Airport, north of Charlotte)-3R9 (Austin Lakeway)-CLL (College Station)-IWS (West Houston Lakeside)-F46 (Rockwall, Texas Muni)-IOW (hi, Jay!)-FRM. I expect that to take 20 hours in the air; the 14A-3R9 leg is about 9 hours all by itself, and I'm planning stops at MDQ (Madison County Exec, north of Huntsville) and F43 (El Dorado Downtown; hi, Gig!) enroute.

The trip home is on no fixed schedule. I've told everyone that when I'll be any particular spot depends entirely on the weather. My goal is to get it home in time for the FRM pancake breakfast fly-in on the 22nd, but I'm perfectly prepared to park the airplane and fly home commercial if my work schedule demands it. I intend to be very conservative in my decision-making on this trip, and until I gain much more experience.

Wow! That sounds like a great trip! Have fun and fly safe!

Hey Jay,
I fly out of STE, Stevens Point.

Welcome aboard Jim! I fly out of KMSN.

If by "main hang out" you mean where do you post random stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere, that'd be Hangar Talk. (If it's something contentious relating to religion/politics, put it in Spin Zone - And if you don't care to read about such things, don't go into the Spin Zone. Works great that way!)

If by "hang out" you mean "chat room," we were just hacked by someone going through the chat, so the mods are looking at new chat software.

Howdy Jim,

It was the planes flying large patterns at STE over my house that infected me with the aviation bug when I was a kid. I'll be back sometime this summer, simply to head to Belts and enjoy some ice cream - thinking about tying that in tandem with a lunch at 68C.

Welcome to the board!

Tim

Hey Jay,
I fly out of STE, Stevens Point. How much longer before you get your hands on your new baby?

Howdy Jim,

It was the planes flying large patterns at STE over my house that infected me with the aviation bug when I was a kid. I'll be back sometime this summer, simply to head to Belts and enjoy some ice cream - thinking about tying that in tandem with a lunch at 68C.

Welcome to the board!

Tim

Thanks Tim,
I haven't been to lunch on Friday at 68C, but the locals say it continues to grow. Belt's, of course, hasn't changed... same long lines! :)

I am also a rec.aviation.* refugee. Reading over these forums, I like what I see a lot more than what the usenet groups have turned into...

About me: a software engineer by day, a student of aviation by night. Well, literally -- I'm doing my IFR training right now, and it is cheaper to rent planes at my club after 9pm... I got my private last year in a Tomahawk out of KBED near Boston, but these days you will find me flying 172s out of KPAO in the skies south of San Francisco. (I have also been known to fly Citabrias, but had to give up that habit for my IFR training.)

I too am a refugee from rec.aviation. I posted once in another refugee thread but only commented.

I obtained my PPL in April of 2006 after 2 years and ~65 hours. I'm working on my IR now, albeit slowly, and have just over 100 hours primarliy in C-172s although I'm combining a complex endorsement and the insruance requirements for our flying group's Piper Arrow with some of my instrument instruction.

It's good to see so many of the quality posters from rec.aviation here.

John

Jay does the zodiac have the Woodcomp prop?
Yes, it does. Wood core, glass composite sheath, polyurethane leading edge for abrasion resistance.

EDIT:...but if you're referring to a brand name for propellers from Czechoslovakia, no, it doesn't. It's a Sensenich, constructed as described above.

Last edited:
Hello all, My name is Gig Giacona and I am yet another refugee from the USENET Aviation Forums. I live in El Dorado AR and fly out of South Arkansas Regional Airport (KELD).

I've had my PPL-A since 1979 and my PPL-R/H since '96. I'm currently building a Zenith 601XL with a William Wynne built Corvair engine and hope to have it in the air in the next 6-9 months.

Ooh...neat! I am actually planning on building a 601XL myself! Can't wait to see updates from you on your plane.

Yes, it does. Wood core, glass composite sheath, polyurethane leading edge for abrasion resistance.

EDIT:...but if you're referring to a brand name for propellers from Czechoslovakia, no, it doesn't. It's a Sensenich, constructed as described above.

Lucky for you! Here's why Adam was asking. This is a Woodcomp (brand) prop on a new airplane (less than 35 hours TTAF):

attachment.php

Cracked plastic, cracked wood, no good. :no:

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 224
Lucky for you! Here's why Adam was asking. This is a Woodcomp (brand) prop on a new airplane (less than 35 hours TTAF):
OUCH!!!

One thing I like about the AMD Zodiac is that they use aircraft quality parts throughout, and especially certificated prop and engine. If mine does anything like that, I know Sensenich will make it good. I'm not quite so sure about TCM, though... :fcross:

Not really sure if I quite qualify as a 'refugee' since I found rec.aviation about the time it seems to have disintegrated...and it took a little time to get the registration done since the CAPTCHA screen wasn't there for a period of time. But it finally appeared and thus I was able to get a registration attempt to go through...

I'm still in the shallow end of the pool, having just made the decision to learn how to hop in and fly off somewhere just because...are any other reasons REALLY needed? <G>

I'll start in earnest next week after I get back into town...

...having just made the decision to learn how to hop in and fly off somewhere just because...are any other reasons REALLY needed? <G>

Absolutely not, no other reasons needed what-so-ever (planning to fly to the Springs tomorrow for dinner 'just because').

Have fun with the training...

I'm also a refugee from rap. I'm 70 years old, started flying out west in the 1970's, gave it up for 30 years, started again in 1998 after moving to Chicago (what a different environment that has been!). Bought a 69 Arrow in 2000, sold it, now own a 76 V35B that I'm still learning to fly.

Home base is KGYY, Gary IN but I live downtown Chicago in a high-rise apartment overlooking Meigs Field, may it live forever.:mad:

Yet another rec.aviation.* refugee. I'm staying more anonymous now, but it's nice to be here!

It is. I've wanted an airplane for 20 years, and I finally get to have one - and not just any airplane, but a new one, that was built to my specifications.

AVEMCO wants 2 hours minimum before I solo it; we're negotiating right now whether that needs to be with a CFI, or if the factory test pilot (who's not a CFI, but does have a couple of thousand hours in the Zodiac) will do. In any event, more is better, so I'm not complaining either way. We're still working on some squawks, too. It'll be tomorrow, at least, and likely Friday before I'm done and fly it away.

Once I do that, I've got a bunch of folks who want to see it. My route home is essentially EZM (Eastman, GA, home of the factory)-14A (Lake Norman Airport, north of Charlotte)-3R9 (Austin Lakeway)-CLL (College Station)-IWS (West Houston Lakeside)-F46 (Rockwall, Texas Muni)-IOW (hi, Jay!)-FRM. I expect that to take 20 hours in the air; the 14A-3R9 leg is about 9 hours all by itself, and I'm planning stops at MDQ (Madison County Exec, north of Huntsville) and F43 (El Dorado Downtown; hi, Gig!) enroute.

The trip home is on no fixed schedule. I've told everyone that when I'll be any particular spot depends entirely on the weather. My goal is to get it home in time for the FRM pancake breakfast fly-in on the 22nd, but I'm perfectly prepared to park the airplane and fly home commercial if my work schedule demands it. I intend to be very conservative in my decision-making on this trip, and until I gain much more experience.

Make sure you send me a PM when you go to IWS. My house is < 10 miles from there and I'd love to come out and take a look. I'll also be glad to provide transportation for wherever you need to go in the area. Try to make it on a Saturday if you can... they have a good discount on gas then.

And it's the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream! Tour and sample, cool off!

Blue Bell. Yum. There's something I definitely miss about Texas.... Chocolate Covered Cherries (or Strawberries) flavor....

Make sure you send me a PM when you go to IWS. My house is < 10 miles from there and I'd love to come out and take a look.
Actually, the airplane is parked at TME right now. It was closer to my dad's place. It'll be there the rest of the day, and tomorrow morning till I head out...

Oh, one more thing... unless you have a compelling reason to go to CLL, I'd suggest Brenham (11R) instead. It's about 22nm south of KCLL, and the restaurant on the field there is spectacular!
I did have a compelling reason to go to CLL, but I'll be going to 11R as well (my sister lives in Brenham). Thanks for the restaurant recommendation; I'll take them up on it.

Back