Yet another question about headsets

deac523

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
deac523
Well, the time is near and I am beginning to think about the future -- hopefully very near future.

Like many before me I want to purchase a second headset so I will have something for my passengers to use.

My D/Cs have served well and I am not unhappy with them, but I think I'd like to move up to ANR now.

Though I would really love to invest in Bose, I need to be practical about things and have decided on LIGHTSpeed as an alternative.

Two models in particular -- the 20 XLc and the 15 XLc. The only difference is price and noise rejection. The 15 XLc offers about 6 dB less noise reduction and costs about $60 less than the 20 XLc.

Is that 6 dB difference in performance significant? Is it worth the extra $60?

I'm also open to suggestions for other brands / model that fall within a similar price range ( about $400 or less).

Thanks.

ive got a 30 3 G and love it. Lightspeed quality can sometimes be not so great but the customer service makes up for it. i had the ANR switch break on mine soon after purchase, sent it in and they fixed it no charge. no problems since, a little over a year ago. I have no personal experience with 15 or 20 XLcs

I've been using the LightSPEED QFRSoloC (passive) for the last 5 or so years and love them. Never changed the ear seals (though I need to soon) and never had a problem with the electronic bits inside. I can't really comment on their ANR products, but the passive is pretty dang quiet, so you might be able to save some money...

Stay with D/C. Nothing beats them in reliability and customer service.

Love my 30-3Gs,so far no problems. The only regret I have is not going ANR sooner. These things are so much better than the old Sigtronics vise clamps they replaced.

Pete

by no means do I need another headset (I think last count was there are 6 in my house, 1 Bose, 2 DC's, 2 Youth Sigtronics and 1 Lightspeed), but has anybody tried the LS Zulu yet?

I've gone from the QFRSoloC to the 30-3g and now to the Bose. I flew for a week, about 35hrs flight time, with the Bose, and was sold. The Lightspeeds have, for me, pretty strong clamping that gets uncomfortable after about 2hrs. That's how they get their strong passive NR performance. The 30-3Gs are pretty bulky, too. I wore the Bose all day long without discomfort. 1AU is a lot to spend, but I figured it would be worth it in the long run. Plus, now I can offer ANC to passengers, well, one of them at least.

On the plus side, for Lightspeed, is the cellphone interface that's included. Makes calling from the cell for a clearance a piece of cake. That, and cost of course.

ive got a 30 3 G and love it. Lightspeed quality can sometimes be not so great but the customer service makes up for it. i had the ANR switch break on mine soon after purchase, sent it in and they fixed it no charge. no problems since, a little over a year ago. I have no personal experience with 15 or 20 XLcs

I have a set of 30-3G's, and a set of 20Xlc, and honestly, I cannot hear the extra money in the 30-3G. Next time around, I'd just buy another 20Xlc.

On the plus side, for Lightspeed, is the cellphone interface that's included. Makes calling from the cell for a clearance a piece of cake. That, and cost of course.

That's what I LOVE about LightSPEED. The cell interface has come in handy on more than a few occasions. That's why I'm STILL debating about upgrading to the Mach1.

Okay, I gotta stick up for Bose. I've used the Aviation X since they first came out, we have them at all four places in the R44, and there is NFW I'd back to DC ot Lightspeed -- the Bose are much more comfortable, and if you've ever flown 6-8 hrs a day for a week with them you would kill rather than trade them.

ive flown with the X's a few times and you are right Bob. If i had the cash laying around to have Bose's I would, but i decided to not spend the other 500 bucks and be happy with my lightspeeds.

Well, the time is near and I am beginning to think about the future -- hopefully very near future.

Like many before me I want to purchase a second headset so I will have something for my passengers to use.

My D/Cs have served well and I am not unhappy with them, but I think I'd like to move up to ANR now.

Though I would really love to invest in Bose, I need to be practical about things and have decided on LIGHTSpeed as an alternative.

Two models in particular -- the 20 XLc and the 15 XLc. The only difference is price and noise rejection. The 15 XLc offers about 6 dB less noise reduction and costs about $60 less than the 20 XLc.

I'm also open to suggestions for other brands / model that fall within a similar price range ( about $400 or less).

Thanks.
Deac, the microphone is better on the 20XLC. The 15 routinely I am told sounds scratchy.

Have you looked at the Pilot 1771?
Alternatively, if you are good with a 27w. Soldering Iron, for $170 your DCs can be ANR (Headsets Inc. kit). I have such a pair!...and the Pilots 1771, 1779, Original Telex ANR, Telex ANR 2000, the Lightspeed 15XL etc, etc.

by no means do I need another headset (I think last count was there are 6 in my house, 1 Bose, 2 DC's, 2 Youth Sigtronics and 1 Lightspeed), but has anybody tried the LS Zulu yet?
I tried it on at Oshkosh. It's noticeably quieter than the Thirty-3Gs, and as comfortable as the Bose X. I've flown with the Bose X before, and I've flown with the Thirty-3G, which I purchased at Oshkosh. The word is that they will offer an upgrade to the Zulu at full purchase price of the Thirty-3G. The Zulu is much more comfortable than the Thirty-3g, which has a lot of clamping pressure. The Zulu also offers a BLUETOOTH cell phone interface, so no wires required!

I have the 20xlc and like them. I agree with Tony's assesment. Also look at the DC X11s they are about $150-$200 less than the bose are just as light and thin and have a cell phone interface which the bose does not.

Another option, if you want the Bose quality without the Bose price; get the Bose QC2 and the U-Fly Mic...from what I hear it works about the same. (Read a review from a friend of mine here, if you'd like).

Alternatively, if you are good with a 27w. Soldering Iron, for $170 your DCs can be ANR (Headsets Inc. kit). I have such a pair!...

...Doc's Headset Museum. :p

So, Doc, are you happy with the Headsets, Inc. converted DCs? I have two DC headsets (H10-40), old but (like all DC headsets) in sound physical condition. I have often thought about converting one or both, putting in new ear seals, and movin' right along.

I have the 20xlc and like them. I agree with Tony's assesment. Also look at the DC X11s they are about $150-$200 less than the bose are just as light and thin and have a cell phone interface which the bose does not.
I tried on the DC X11s at OSH, and was VERY disappointed with them. I literally double-checked to make sure the ANR was turned on. The light was showing, so it was.

OK. I'll be the oddball here (nothing new). I've been flying with the Softcomm C-90 ANR headset for the past 7 years. No problems and it is comfortable (for me). YMMV. Bought a second pair about the time of my checkride in 2001 so my wife would have something to wear. Paid less than $300 new on-line.

Okay, I gotta stick up for Bose. I've used the Aviation X since they first came out, we have them at all four places in the R44, and there is NFW I'd back to DC ot Lightspeed -- the Bose are much more comfortable, and if you've ever flown 6-8 hrs a day for a week with them you would kill rather than trade them.

No question the Bose is a nice product, but it is not the best fit for everyone. The deeper ear cups on LS makes them more comfortable for me than the Bose.

No experience with those LightSpeed models but 6 dB means a factor of 2 so the 20's are twice as quiet.

I have 2 Bose 2 D/C and a cheapo vice clamp with speakers and a mike. The D/C ANR is nowhere near as good as the Bose but the D/C's passive noise cancel is much better so when the battery dies the Bose sucks and you can hardly tell on the D/C.

After a full day in the California heat, I have mushrooms growing out of my ears but the Bose are still comfortable while the D/Cs have doubled in weight.

Joe

Thanks.

I have owned a bunch of different LS headsets and my favorite is the 25XLc. Yes, 6db of noise reduction is noticeable and definitely worth $60, but if I were you I would give serious consideration to the 25XLc.

I actually found it was easier for me to get the Bose unit. you can get it with the payment of around $90 a month for as long as you are approved for the credit with 0% interest. Just make sure you pay on time. it has turned out to be easier than trying to buy higher end ANR's but YMMV.

Wow -- what a great response!

Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions.

I'm certain that Bose is the best choice for comfort and performance, but realistically I don't see myself flying more that 1 or 2 hours a week -- I can't afford more -- so I can get by with somewhat less comfortable ear-clamps.

Doc, I did look into the conversion kit for the DCs, but I do want a second headset for passengers, so I would still need to purchase something. Even if I go for a cheap headset for my pax and install the ANR kit in my DCs I'd end up spending close to the cost of a new set of ANRs. Besides, I'd probably end up soldering my fingers to the speakers or something :redface:

Bing an engineer, I already knew the significance of a 6 dB difference but I wasn't sure if at those levels the human ear could make a distinction -- especially "old" human ears. Also, I wasn't sure how much of the published material on the manufacturers web-sites was hype and how much was real. From the responses here it sounds like the difference in performance is worth the extra money.

I am definitely leaning toward the 20XLc's at this point, though I intend to investigate the other brands suggested here.

Thanks to all who replied -- it is a great help.

I am definitely leaning toward the 20XLc's at this point, though I intend to investigate the other brands suggested here.

Another tip for Lightspeed, is they take in trade-in's, so refurbished models can be bought at decent savings. I bought my 20XLC that way at a good price. Check their site often, you can find some.

http://www.anrheadsets.com/productsrecon.asp

Another tip for Lightspeed, is they take in trade-in's, so refurbished models can be bought at decent savings. I bought my 20XLC that way at a good price. Check their site often, you can find some.

http://www.anrheadsets.com/productsrecon.asp

I checked that out already and the price is pretty good. The only down side I see is that the warranty is only 1 year for the refurb vs. 3 for new. I'm not sure that's a significant issue unless there is a reliability problem with the headset. -- Anyone care to comment?

Thanks

I checked that out already and the price is pretty good. The only down side I see is that the warranty is only 1 year for the refurb vs. 3 for new. I'm not sure that's a significant issue unless there is a reliability problem with the headset. -- Anyone care to comment?

Thanks

There are reliability issues with everything that Lightspeed has put out. Ask people and they will tell you how great LS customer service is. There is a reason for that glowing review, many (far too many IMHO) have had to use their customer service to get their products repaired.

One of my biggest quality beefs with them is the ear stirrups. Early on in the production of the 15x and 20x models people started getting cracks int he ear stirrups. When the XL version came out there was still no update to the tool that made the ear stirrups so still no improvement and cracks were still occurring. Then the G series came out. One would hope by then that new tools would have been made but alas it appears not and there are still cracking issues out there.

Last edited:

Thanks
I've heard of only a few folks who had serious quality problems. But, it speaks volumes when you've only lost items and LS replaces them for free, postage and product. Twice, the holster has been replaced and once the adapter cables.

Another guy I know got the electronic module replaced with no questions. He had let them get wet and they sent a replacement he replaced himself.

My only gripe with Lightspeed is I wanted to sell them when I was selling radios. The Christensens want a dealer to have a storefront located at an airport. So, I was out. :(

But, they put out a great product.

I've heard of only a few folks who had serious quality problems. But, it speaks volumes when you've only lost items and LS replaces them for free, postage and product. Twice, the holster has been replaced and once the adapter cables.
Lost the battery cover on my DC13XLs onces. DC also replaced for free.

When I had the 20Gs LS did replace the battery cover three time for free too. But the design of the cover was so bad that it kept falling off so they had better been sending me something. I hear they now ship the G headset with a sleeve that the electronics slips into and that helps hold the battery cover on.

Again, my thanks to everyone who responded here.

I just ordered a set of refurbrished 20XLc from LightSpeed. At $350 it seemed like a good deal.

You can certainly stick with the DC's if you like them, and there are ANR kits available to retrofit non-ANR DC's. In any event, get the most noise reduction your budget can stand -- you can get a new headset, but you can't get a new earset.

Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty period, LS has replaced things I've broken for free well beyond what the warranty calls for.

Back