Yet Another Owning Thread...

20k will buy you a pretty nice 150, I have one for sale at 11k needs a few cosmetic things but flys great.

It needs a set of radios, the radios were removed for up grade and the owner never replaced them.

there is nothing installed now.

will it be easy to sell it back after 3-4 years? how much value will it loose?

Look at it this way:

It can loose 50% of it's value and still have lost less value than a new 162 would have the day you bought it!

But as others said it should be worth more or less what you payed for it.

It needs a set of radios, the radios were removed for up grade and the owner never replaced them.

Talk about throwing $11k away. You did see that he wants to go for his IR right away?

Look at it this way - you can buy new and eat depreciation, or buy old and eat refurbishment. New gets you modern avionics, comfortable cabin, and a warranty. Old gets you, well, old. Yes, you can do your IFR with a single KX170B and a nav head. Do you want to? You make the call.

I know some of the gray beards (and, for the record, my beard is turning gray at a rather alarming rate) will poo-poo anything new. "I learned in a clapped out 152 and it was good enough for me!!!"

Are you a mechanic? Do you know how to overhaul an engine? 'Cause a 152 at this point, any 152, is scrap metal wrapped around an engine. The O/H cost of the engine is a significant portion of the value of the plane. I have to laugh when I see ads for 150/152 with 3000hrs on the engine offered for $25k. Yeah, right, more like maybe $12k.

Repeat after me: An airplane is not an investment, it is an expense.

Old sold when they weren't making planes in the 90s. Old don't sell no more.

One man's opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Out of curiosity, what would it cost to put a basic IFR panel in there? I'm thinking basic is two comms, two navs, a glideslope, and a transponder. A DME would be nice, too, I guess.

Out of curiosity, what would it cost to put a basic IFR panel in there? I'm thinking basic is two comms, two navs, a glideslope, and a transponder. A DME would be nice, too, I guess.

Well, to start with, a 150 doesn't make a good IFR trainer because when you load them up with radios they get heavy and sluggish.

Secondly, the radio stack will vary with what you can by the radios for used vs new.

we were going to put a VAL 2000, and a garmin 327 transponder and a intercom, and just fly VFR.

now the owner has lost his medical and just wants to dump the aircraft,

but I asked him for the logs tonight, and he doesn't know where they are. I told him to find them or be ready to sell for scrap.

Well, to start with, a 150 doesn't make a good IFR trainer because when you load them up with radios they get heavy and sluggish.
It's 2011. Radios aren't that heavy. Most 150 pilots could drop the radio weight off their belly.

It's 2011. Radios aren't that heavy. .

Good theory try and make it work on a budget.

Every KX 155/165 with nav head and wiring weighs the same as it did 20 years ago.

same same the Mark 12D.

want to stay light?

1 installed Garmin 430 pretty close to 15 grand. still must have transponder, mode C

I would like to see a IFR capable stack less than 15 grand installed.

got a list ?

Last edited:
Back