Yet Another Drone Post

Somedudeintn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
somedudeintn
Here I am trying to enjoy a nice day on the beach and some kid somewhere is flying a DJI Phantom up and down the public beach over thousands of people and we are 2nm from KAPF.

Time to call the FAA?:dunno:

If you're truly close enough that you can determine the type and model then you're close enough to throw a towel over it and be done with it. DJI Phantom? You must be close, indeed. Go get it taken care of!

No have a civilized chat with his parents.

Not sure where he was, he was flying it up and down the beach along a half-mile span. He stopped after about 15 minutes. No calls to any authorities were made. He was lower than the planes and helos around.

Here I am trying to enjoy a nice day on the beach and some kid somewhere is flying a DJI Phantom up and down the public beach over thousands of people and we are 2nm from KAPF.

Time to call the FAA?:dunno:
Why would you?

Sorry you had a bad experience at the beach. i too own several Quadcopters and have one like the phantom but different manufacture. I don't fly over people unless I ask for permission. If my 5lb Quadcopter hit someone I would feel really bad.

Sorry you had a bad experience at the beach. i too own several Quadcopters and have one like the phantom but different manufacture. I don't fly over people unless I ask for permission. If my 5lb Quadcopter hit someone I would feel really bad.

If your 5lb Quadcopter hit me, you would not only feel bad, but you would feel cold, because I would own your house after the lawsuit.

No problem. If I had a bit more disposable income I would pick one up. Just like guns don't kill people, people kill people, I realize it's not the drone that's the problem, it's the operator.

At first I thought it was a runaway drone when it went so far downwind the beach but I was impressed when it started coming back. Made some good headway into the headwind. My biggest issue was just all the kids and people around that could have got hit if they lost control.

This is a matter of a public nuisance and your personal safety. You are definitely within your rights to call some sort of authority. I would call the local cops first as their response time would be much shorter than any federal agency.

Two miles from an airport sounds like plenty of buffer unless he's taking it up real high.

I wouldn't fly one over people. Not intentionally. Especially a crowd of people.

You won't get any resolution from the FAA is my guess.

If your 5lb Quadcopter hit me, you would not only feel bad, but you would feel cold, because I would own your house after the lawsuit.

I wonder if liability for such operations is covered under whatever insurance people typically have. If so, I wouldn't be surprised to see insurers starting to attach riders excluding coverage unless an extra premium is paid.

Biggest issue is operating within 5nm of an airport. That pulls the drone outside of the model aircraft operating limits and subjects it to enforcement action (Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act 2012).

Secondly, the FAA still has the power to enforce the FARs on drones in any case where they apply to an "aircraft" in general, which would include the classic 91.13 'Careless or reckless operation'.

That said, nobody's going to be able to enforce it unless they get caught red-handed.

The distance from the airport is the issue, not the fact you are on the beach.

Just wait till jammers are 19.99 on amazon. Youtube is filled with people filming at 5,000 ft.

Last edited:

Really that's BS and a rude comment. I'm a memember of AMA so I have insurance. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_of_Model_Aeronautics

And if you have to ask I fly within the AMA safety code of conduct.

My largest Quadcopter is just over 4lb without GoPro attached and my smallest is 12grams.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Really that's BS and a rude comment. I'm a memember of AMA so I have insurance. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_of_Model_Aeronautics

And if you have to ask I fly within the AMA safety code of conduct.

My largest Quadcopter is just over 4lb without GoPro attached and my smallest is 12grams.

Does that cover you if you violate their Safety Rules?

Not fly within 3 miles of an airport without notifying airport operator.

All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures and shall avoid endangerment of life and property of others.

So, less than three SM NW of KPTK is an AMA field. Can they legally fly drones or even model planes there?

So, less than three SM NW of KPTK is an AMA field. Can they legally fly drones or even model planes there?

I'm guessing That when they fly they notify the PTK airport authority or already have some letter of agreement in place.

I wonder if liability for such operations is covered under whatever insurance people typically have.

From the liability section of my homeowner's policy:

EXCLUSIONS
We do not cover:
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Damages [/FONT][/FONT]arising out of the [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]ownership[/FONT][/FONT], maintenance, operation, use, or entrustment of:
(a) Aircraft other than miniature aircraft not designed to transport cargo or people.

From the liability section of my homeowner's policy:

EXCLUSIONS
We do not cover:
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Damages [/FONT][/FONT]arising out of the [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]ownership[/FONT][/FONT], maintenance, operation, use, or entrustment of:
(a) Aircraft other than miniature aircraft not designed to transport cargo or people.

So they cover damages done by your half-size model 747?

So they cover damages done by your half-size model 747?

I have a feeling that anyone in a position to afford something that big would get the answer to that question in writing from the insurance company before taking possession.

If I hit someone with my Drone or cause property damage by default my homeowner insurance would cover and if not AMA coverage kicks in. Again fly by the AMA Safety Code.

Back