Yet again no Gastons for me, but...

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
This time it's good a reason! Two years ago it was because I was at my wedding. Last year it was because I was in Antigua for my anniversary. This year, though, it has nothing to do with my wife. I swear it's a good excuse, this time. More details to follow. :D

Absolutly nothing to do with your wife? She's not involved at all?

Aren't the first two reasons good reasons?

Well on a related note, I finally quit being lazy and took/passed the ATP written today.

Upgrade school? You gonna be one of them fancy pants captains?

They're going to finally let him fly something that doesn't call him a hoser when he overspeeds.

Which begs the question: Why can't he do that at Gaston's? ;)

(btw I think your reasons for not coming are just fine)

Upgrade school? You gonna be one of them fancy pants captains?

Indeed. Off to Saab school in June!

They're going to finally let him fly something that doesn't call him a hoser when he overspeeds.

Which begs the question: Why can't he do that at Gaston's? ;)

(btw I think your reasons for not coming are just fine)

:rofl: thanks Ted. I could do it at gastons, but I don't think I'll be getting much TPIC (or a better salary, type rating, and ATP) at Gastons.

Indeed. Off to Saab school in June!

So you're going to be a Saab 340 captain? Cool! Only problem with those is they have GE turbines instead of Pratt. If it's a turboprop, I like me some Pratts.

:rofl: thanks Ted. I could do it at gastons, but I don't think I'll be getting much TPIC (or a better salary, type rating, and ATP) at Gastons.

We can go flying in the Aztec. It's pretty much the same thing, right? ;)

BTW, I want to talk ice with you at Wings. I'd like to hear some of your stories.

Guess I read your first post wrong because I was wondering what kind of school would be in Antigua. :D

Congratulations! :cheerswine:

So you're going to be a Saab 340 captain? Cool! Only problem with those is they have GE turbines instead of Pratt. If it's a turboprop, I like me some Pratts.

We can go flying in the Aztec. It's pretty much the same thing, right? ;)

BTW, I want to talk ice with you at Wings. I'd like to hear some of your stories.

I definitely agree! Two planes now with Pratts, it's going to be tough getting used to a plane with helicopter engines that don't like to run.

As far as Wings goes, barring any major changes, I'll be there!

Guess I read your first post wrong because I was wondering what kind of school would be in Antigua. :D

Congratulations! :cheerswine:

I think that would be rum school. Which would be cool, too.

Thanks!

So how much of a step back over the Q is the Saab? I'm guessing the panel won't be nearly as nice as the Q.

Welcome to your new office

saab340.jpg

And by the way you can thank me later but you CAN go to Gastons. No need for SAAB school just watch this video and you should be all set to go:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksTEueOsRoY&feature=fvw

Last edited:
So how much of a step back over the Q is the Saab? I'm guessing the panel won't be nearly as nice as the Q.

I'm not sure what's worse, flying something that's Swedish or something that's Canadian. At least with a Canadian airplane there's a higher probability of him being able to go bash the skulls of the people who screwed up the design.

Of course, he'll probably just find someone who works for Bombardier and blame him, just like people blame me for certain products they purchased that were designed and built decades before I was born. ;)

Oh man do I have ice stories. Once when I ordered a bourbon the bartender freaking filled the glass with crushed ice. Man that was so freaking scary I mean I never want to drink bourbon unless its neat or with just a few cubes. It was like the glass was filled with bourbon flavored rhime. One of those never again stories

It looks like the Saabs are older, hold half as many people, have the wrong engines, and are made in Sweden. But it does mean that he gets captain's salary and the prestigious left seat. Plus it's probably got more "fun" avionics like the 1900.

I wish they sold a 1/2 scale version of the 1900 that ran on Lycomings... :)

Saabs? Will the overspeed warning sound like the Swedish Chef? :)

Congratulations on the upgrade to captain. Oh... Let me make it Official.

Dear Teller,

You Suck.

Love, Tim.

And here I thought you had some sort of clandestine mission to execute in Iran or something....

BORING!!!!!!!

:D

Great news, Matt!! Congrats!

No, no - HERE you go - the p;ane I have been irrayionally coveting for weeks...

http://www.aso.com/listings/spec/ViewAd.aspx?id=126990

NO Spike NO! (hand held in front of face in defensive position). Not a Queen Air AKA hanger queen; runway hog.

Why not just buy an 18 wheeler with a four cylinder recip engine and get it out of your system?

Repeat after me...Baron...King Air....Baron,...King Air. Now write that on the black board 100 times or I'll call your...uh.....you know!!

Come to your senses man!

Best,

Dave

The Aero Commander Eisenhower flew is headed to a museum in Houma, LA.

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20100125/articles/100129574

http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/Research/Finding_Aids/PDFs/Draper_William_Papers.pdf

Draper’s Papers contain some unique items, including records of the White House Bowling League, ditching instructions for the Columbine III, Draper’s description of air turbulence during a presidential flight to Augusta, orders for souvenir match books for the Columbine III, and Draper’s account of Eisenhower taking the controls of the Aero Commander on a flight to Gettysburg.

OK, here you go. Lycoming engines, crew door, plenty of space for carriers...

http://www.aircraftguru.com/aircraft/aircraft-information.php?craftid=114

It looks like the Saabs are older, hold half as many people, have the wrong engines, and are made in Sweden. But it does mean that he gets captain's salary and the prestigious left seat. Plus it's probably got more "fun" avionics like the 1900.

I wish they sold a 1/2 scale version of the 1900 that ran on Lycomings... :)

Ya, I think Ted's just about got it. It's a lot worse, but a lot more fun. No more APU, no more FMS (or RNAV of any kind), half the size, 3/4 the speed, and much worse engineering (which is saying something). But it's definitely worth it!

And Ted, they did make a mini-1900. They called it the King Air! Though they called their Lycomings Pratts. Or for a crew door, there's always the 99! I think you're just destined for a turbo prop.

Welcome to your new office

And by the way you can thank me later but you CAN go to Gastons. No need for SAAB school just watch this video and you should be all set to go:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksTEueOsRoY&feature=fvw

Wow, you found a photo that actually makes it look nice! I wonder if I can get 5min of training pay for watching that video. :D

I'm not sure what's worse, flying something that's Swedish or something that's Canadian. At least with a Canadian airplane there's a higher probability of him being able to go bash the skulls of the people who screwed up the design.

Of course, he'll probably just find someone who works for Bombardier and blame him, just like people blame me for certain products they purchased that were designed and built decades before I was born. ;)
Swedish. Definitely Swedish. 23 electrical busses but one hydraulic system? Seriously? I'm sure I could find a way to blame it on you, Ted.

Oh man do I have ice stories. Once when I ordered a bourbon the bartender freaking filled the glass with crushed ice. Man that was so freaking scary I mean I never want to drink bourbon unless its neat or with just a few cubes. It was like the glass was filled with bourbon flavored rhime. One of those never again stories

Was it a dark and stormy night, Adam? :rofl:

Congratulations on the upgrade to captain. Oh... Let me make it Official.

Dear Teller,

You Suck.

Love, Tim.

Ha, thanks Tim. It just wouldn't feel official without getting that at least once!

ROFL

probably more like "Oferspeed bork bork bork" :D

:rofl::rofl: "Dear fleet advisory board, re: suggested changes to warning tone generator audible alerts..."

Awesome, Matt! Great news!!!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Excellent!! Congratulations!! :cheerswine:

Gary

Thanks guys!

And here I thought you had some sort of clandestine mission to execute in Iran or something....

BORING!!!!!!!

:D

Great news, Matt!! Congrats!

Damnit Andrew, way to give my secrets away! I mean...uhh...haha, so silly. Ya, that's the ticket.

Ya, I think Ted's just about got it. It's a lot worse, but a lot more fun. No more APU, no more FMS (or RNAV of any kind), half the size, 3/4 the speed, and much worse engineering (which is saying something). But it's definitely worth it!

Yeah, there's just something about the smaller aircraft being "real" where the bigger more automated ones make it too easy. It sounds to me like you'll have more fun being a Saab captain even if means dealing with some stupid designs and other issues.

And Ted, they did make a mini-1900. They called it the King Air! Though they called their Lycomings Pratts. Or for a crew door, there's always the 99! I think you're just destined for a turbo prop.

Yeah, the 99 definitely has gotten my attention as something that would be good for really big, really long missions and fit the bill well, plus the fact that it doesn't require a type rating is nice. The catch is funding one. I should start playing the lottery. :)

Swedish. Definitely Swedish. 23 electrical busses but one hydraulic system? Seriously? I'm sure I could find a way to blame it on you, Ted.

I have come to realize that most things in this world, especially involving aircraft, are my fault. ;)

23 electrical busses and one hydraulic system? That's epic fail engineering right there. Go team!

I was gonna say, sounds like a Queen Air!

Actually, my biggest problem with the Queen Air (and most cabin class twins other than the Navajo/402) is the lack of a crew door. That's kinda a necessity for what I do with my plane.

Don't forget the Aerostar.

Teller: Congrats! I've heard they put the best pilots into the Saab, simply because of the lack of automation. So, you're in good company. :yes:

Back