Yesterday's good deed

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
There is a young CFI that wants an aircraft to teach in, he was offered a share in a 182C and he wanted me to take a look to see if this was and aircraft to pursue. He had the keys to the hangar as he opened the doors I started to look.
First thing I noticed was a patch on the right hand elevator about a foot square, put on with pop rivets, not cherry max, plane old pop rivets and it had been there a long time.
I next ran the N number at the FAA, and it showed that the aircraft was registered to some one that was not the guy who was selling the A/C.
The paint was horrible, radios were old narco, brakes were rusty, and leaking.
I advised the CFI that in my opinion the seller was just looking for a deep pocket the to help maintain and up grade the aircraft.
So he walked.

You’re a hero Tom D! You saved him from a lot of misery.

Good for you Tom. Aircraft ownership is complex, and it’s easy to get taken for a ride.

You’re a hero Tom D! You saved him from a lot of misery.
I told him that if he wanted the aircraft, to buy the whole thing, it can be bought for 25k, then he could upgrade it as he could afford.
but he had a good point, the engine could crap at any time and he couldn't afford to overhaul it.

First thing I noticed was a patch on the right hand elevator about a foot square, put on with pop rivets, not cherry max, plane old pop rivets and it had been there a long time.

Is that a FAA approved repair..??

Is that a FAA approved repair..??

It shoulda been done right, with JB Weld and/or Gorilla tape. :)

A foot square...that's a BIG patch. Would be interesting to see what was underneath.

It shoulda been done right, with JB Weld and/or Gorilla tape. :)

A foot square...that's a BIG patch. Would be interesting to see what was underneath.

I would like to know what caused the damage that needed a patch that big.

There is a young CFI that wants an aircraft to teach in, he was offered a share in a 182C and he wanted me to take a look to see if this was and aircraft to pursue. He had the keys to the hangar as he opened the doors I started to look.
I next ran the N number at the FAA, and it showed that the aircraft was registered to some one that was not the guy who was selling the A/C.
The paint was horrible, radios were old narco, brakes were rusty, and leaking.
I advised the CFI that in my opinion the seller was just looking for a deep pocket the to help maintain and up grade the aircraft.
So he walked.

If that guy is a CFI and couldn’t see those things for himself, well, uh... yikes! Anyway, soooo... well done, Samaritan?

If that guy is a CFI and couldn’t see those things for himself, well, uh... yikes! Anyway, soooo... well done, Samaritan?
He is a bit naive,but he will learn

He is a bit naive,but he will learn

It’s kind of nice to find out that there are still plenty of people in this world who don’t think they know everything. On the other hand, some people should know certain things. Nice of you to help him out.

Back