Yes, Virginia, there is hope!!!

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Up to Saturday, my wife has gone flying with me exactly three times since I've been a pilot (over 2 years now), and really didn't like the experience a bit. Frankly, she was scared silly.

So Saturday, we were going to take the 182 to HXD, but MX killed that, and the other planes were booked. But, mid-day, one pilot cancelled his slot on the 172, giving us about 1:15 to fit in a quick local flight. Sherry said yes!

About 2 miles from the airport, she asks if we'd like to go to a park instead. "You don't want to go," I ask, "No." Now, let me tell you. All through these 2 years, I've been very good about the no go decision, always taking it in stride, "That's OK, we'll go when you're ready," etc.

But, this time, something snapped and I wigged out. "I can't believe it, you did it again! The most perfect day of the year, and you don't want to go." Silence. Then she says, "You're still headed towards the airport." "Yes", I say, "We still have to go get on the computer and release our reservation in case another member wants the plane." Silence. Finally, "OK, lets go!"

And go we did, and this time, she actually looked out the window. It was great fun pointing out local sights from the air. We flew up the TN river to 2A0, where I entered the pattern and did a landing on 03. Taxi back, depart, and fly the river back to CHA. As we approached it was close to 3pm, so we ended the flight and got the plane back with 6 minutes to spare.

She really enjoyed the flight this time, and wished we could have stayed out longer. She couldn't believe we had been airborne for an hour, and wants to try again. Says Sherry, "I think I might be over the hump on this one!"

Hurrrah!

The member who had the plane booked for 3pm never showed up and never did release his reservation. Grrrrrrr.......

Congrats! I know how frustrating that can be, Bill. My wife was the same way (and still feels that way about airplanes). Turns out, though, she loves helicopters, and we generally fly somewhere once a week in the R44. That was a big (but very welcome) surprise. Now she even wants her own Bose headset of Christmas (instead of the "community" Bose which lives by the left seat) ...

It makes a huge difference when your spouse starts getting into flight. I just ordered the ASF pinch-hitter course for mine (not that that will help her land a helicopter) because she wants to learn how to help out in the cockpit -- navigation, tuning radios, setting up the GPS's, xponder, and all that good stuff!

:heli:

RotaryWingBob said:
I just ordered the ASF pinch-hitter course for mine (not that that will help her land a helicopter) because she wants to learn how to help out in the cockpit -- navigation, tuning radios, setting up the GPS's, xponder, and all that good stuff!

That is wonderful, Bob! I hope Sherry has interests in learning to help like that. My PP instructor still has an open invite to her for a free 2hr lesson anytime she wants, all I have to do is rent the plane. She's considering.

This makes me feel even better about our search for a good 201...

awesome bill, that has to be a wonderful feeling.

my stepmom never flew with me until a year after i had my CFI. she enjoyed the flight but wasnt begging me to take her again. she did say that "she wouldnt not go again" which i considered a major victory.

RotaryWingBob said:
It makes a huge difference when your spouse starts getting into flight. I just ordered the ASF pinch-hitter course for mine (not that that will help her land a helicopter) because she wants to learn how to help out in the cockpit -- navigation, tuning radios, setting up the GPS's, xponder, and all that good stuff!

:heli:

I gave my wife the pinch-hitter course video and book for Christmas several years ago. She STILL hasn't looked at it. Oh well, at least she flies with me and is a great navigator.

Bill Jennings said:
That is wonderful, Bob! I hope Sherry has interests in learning to help like that. My PP instructor still has an open invite to her for a free 2hr lesson anytime she wants, all I have to do is rent the plane. She's considering.

This makes me feel even better about our search for a good 201...
Sounds like your winning Bill, be careful though, you will end up like me having to share left seat time with the wife. I complain about it, but wouldn't have it any other way, it is great having a wife that loves to fly. Keep working on her!

Try some inverted fly by's. That'll fix her little red wagon. Heh, Heh, Heh.....

Bill Jennings said:
She really enjoyed the flight this time, and wished we could have stayed out longer. She couldn't believe we had been airborne for an hour, and wants to try again. Says Sherry, "I think I might be over the hump on this one!"

Hurrrah!
That's wonderful Bill!!! :yes: I know how important this it to you.

Do you think she might fly with you to Gaston's now?

Bill:

I had the same issue with my Ex....until we went some place she really wanted to go and taking the car wouldn't have gotten us there. For some it's the trip; for others the arrival.

John and Betty Foose purchased my A-36; both pilots. I'm really envious that they've got this worked out. They fly all over the place and really enjoy it.

Best,

Dave

Good job, Bill!

My big show-down is next weekend. Hubby's not afraid to fly, just isn't all that interested. Goes occasionally for a fly-by of the farm, sometimes for eats, but would rather just go to the farm and do chores. Next weekend, tho, we're headed to SC to visit his brother. His idea.....keep the fingers crossed for good wx so that it seems like a piece of cake to just fly away for the weekend.:fcross:

Kaye

Hey Bill,

Want me to come up and show your wife how good she has it to have you as a pilot? :rofl:

Awesome Bill!

It's probably just fine that your flight was cut short - Leave her wanting more!

It sounds like you have taken the right approach. She's starting to turn the corner. My wife has always enjoyed it and she does not question the money spent on flying.

Paul Allen said:
It sounds like you have taken the right approach. She's starting to turn the corner. My wife has always enjoyed it and she does not question the money spent on flying.

Interestingly, she's never questioned the money I've spent learning to fly, and has given me the green light to use some "community" money for a 1/2 partnership on a 201. It was always the get her in the plane thing!

Steve said:
Hey Bill,

Want me to come up and show your wife how good she has it to have you as a pilot? :rofl:

Every single turn was standard rate, all climbs/decents at 500fpm or less. VERY gentle ride.

Back