Yes another "Looking for my first plane thread"

Use savvy, they will recommend a shop among other help. I was going that route too and will do it again in future when I can actually find a damn plane to buy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ok here's a thought, should I just expand my horizons and go get high performance training and complex and get the airplane I really need?

Maybe an arrow would be a good fit, I read that it's really good for people who never had a retract before.

Maybe an arrow would be a good fit, I read that it's really good for people who never had a retract before.

That's exactly what I did a couple months ago! You can get a real nice Arrow in your price range and use it for everything up to and including your commercial rating. It can sip gas at 8.5gph on economy cruise or you can open her up and cruise at 160kts for 11gph.

I saw you mention something in a previous post about wanting leather seats, new paint, etc...You can certainly spend your money on that or you could spend your money on an airplane that doesn't have those "bells and whistles" but does have a low time engine and upgraded avionics. It's very difficult to find an Arrow with all those and stay under $60K.

My first annual at the end of February was $1,600, which I thought was good for a complex airplane. It was this low because I spent my purchase money on the non-cosmetic stuff like a low time engine and upgraded avionics.

One last thing (I'm sure this will be debated) I would recommend to any first time buyer, like myself, to hire a buyer's consultant. Without a doubt, looking back on my purchase, it was the best money I spent! While he did do some some of the heavy lifting for me during the purchase, he really just consulted me the whole way through. He "taught" me how to buy a plane and saved me $1000's. Essentially I never felt "lost" during the purchase process because of his guidance. I would absolutely recommend Kieth Henson from Virtual Airplane Brokers. His number is 317-339-4901. I have zero affiliation with him or his company...I'm just a very satisfied customer of his.

Good luck with your purchase!

Marshall

Heres an update. If the plane is about to go get an annual and I inspect the plane personally and go for a test flight, do I really need a expensive pre buy inspection?

YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

1) it's not your guy.
2) airworthy is the low bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly what I did a couple months ago! You can get a real nice Arrow in your price range and use it for everything up to and including your commercial rating. It can sip gas at 8.5gph on economy cruise or you can open her up and cruise at 160kts for 11gph.

I saw you mention something in a previous post about wanting leather seats, new paint, etc...You can certainly spend your money on that or you could spend your money on an airplane that doesn't have those "bells and whistles" but does have a low time engine and upgraded avionics. It's very difficult to find an Arrow with all those and stay under $60K.

My first annual at the end of February was $1,600, which I thought was good for a complex airplane. It was this low because I spent my purchase money on the non-cosmetic stuff like a low time engine and upgraded avionics.

One last thing (I'm sure this will be debated) I would recommend to any first time buyer, like myself, to hire a buyer's consultant. Without a doubt, looking back on my purchase, it was the best money I spent! While he did do some some of the heavy lifting for me during the purchase, he really just consulted me the whole way through. He "taught" me how to buy a plane and saved me $1000's. Essentially I never felt "lost" during the purchase process because of his guidance. I would absolutely recommend Kieth Henson from Virtual Airplane Brokers. His number is 317-339-4901. I have zero affiliation with him or his company...I'm just a very satisfied customer of his.

Marshall
Saw the website, it's mostly about selling ur plane, do they advertise being a buyers agent? Or just call and go from there?

Saw the website, it's mostly about selling ur plane, do they advertise being a buyers agent? Or just call and go from there?

I called about an Arrow they had for sale. I didn't pursue the airplane because it really didn't fit my mission as it was a turbo. After talking to Keith a little about aircraft in general, he mentioned that he was starting to consult buyers on the process. He obviously is very well versed on the process as he has been selling/buying airplanes for decades and he just had "a way" about him that made me feel comfortable. Another couple calls to him asking questions and I hired him. Absolutely no pressure at all. Very cool guy actually...

Marshall

Which Arrow do you have that will do 160 KTAS, and in what conditions? Sincerely curious as I love the Arrow 180 I fly now but it's a 130-knot plane and no pilot has ever turned down a chance to go faster.

Which Arrow do you have that will do 160 KTAS, and in what conditions? Sincerely curious as I love the Arrow 180 I fly now but it's a 130-knot plane and no pilot has ever turned down a chance to go faster.

I owned a NA Arrow. It cruised at 137. No Arrow will be accused of being all that fast.

If you wanna go fast in a single, think Mooney. I'm still normally aspirated. I flight plan at least 175.

Marshall

Can a 20 year old, barely reaching over 100 hour new pilot even get insurance for a retract, even after I go through training?

Call aopa insurance agency and talk to them. Maybe not or maybe expensive.

Can a 20 year old, barely reaching over 100 hour new pilot even get insurance for a retract, even after I go through training?

I'm sure you can. It just depends on how big a check they want you to write. I have just under 100 hrs and my insurance on a 1972 Arrow II is $1,800 per year. The insurance company required me to do 5 hrs with a CFI and another 5 hrs solo before I could take anyone with me flying.

I'm sure you can. It just depends on how big a check they want you to write. I have just under 100 hrs and my insurance on a 1972 Arrow II is $1,800 per year. The insurance company required me to do 5 hrs with a CFI and another 5 hrs solo before I could take anyone with me flying.

Ok here's another question, if let's say a company bought the plane, can the company pay for the insurance, and the plane was a legal asset of the company. And like a company car it would be a company plane used only to take us to where we do our actual work. Is it ok for me as a private pilot to expense travel on the business like I do when I drive our company car?

This is our plan and yes it's mostly a boondoggle for me to build hours but legally speaking is it ok?

Ok here's another question, if let's say a company bought the plane, can the company pay for the insurance, and the plane was a legal asset of the company. And like a company car it would be a company plane used only to take us to where we do our actual work. Is it ok for me as a private pilot to expense travel on the business like I do when I drive our company car? This is our plan and yes it's mostly a boondoggle for me to build hours but legally speaking is it ok?
Oh boy...:popcorn:

Ok here's another question, if let's say a company bought the plane, can the company pay for the insurance, and the plane was a legal asset of the company. And like a company car it would be a company plane used only to take us to where we do our actual work. Is it ok for me as a private pilot to expense travel on the business like I do when I drive our company car?

This is our plan and yes it's mostly a boondoggle for me to build hours but legally speaking is it ok?
Search thru the not so old post, this topic has been beaten to death with a sledgehammer

Search thru the not so old post, this topic has been beaten to death with a sledgehammer

Can you like sum up the consensus that everyone has?

Can you like sum up the consensus that everyone has?
There is no consensus. Follow the FAA rules. Each situation must be judged on its own. The main consideration will be whether you carry passengers or property. If you are just using a plane to get yourself to a meeting because it's faster than driving, then you are probably okay. If you are using a plane to deliver products or to bring other people to a meeting, then you are probably not okay. And now that I have broken the ice, this thread will probably turn into a flame war about the specifics of what a private pilot can and cannot do, so I hope you got all the plane suggestions you needed because that part of the thread is in the past. :)

Back