Yep...I knew I'd do this eventually...

The broken bulb of a flashlight is only one ignition source. The switch and battery contacts make several more. Approved flashlights for explosive environments are sealed and vapors can't get into them. They tend to stay sealed when dropped hard.

Best thing is outside with a breeze taking the fumes away.

Dan

Which can be almost anything from static in your shirt, to spontaneous combustion, to the differential electrical potential between you, your light, and the tank.
It's quite easy to ensure you're not full of static and to discharge yourself.

Looking into the tank WITH the flashlight carries no significant risk over looking without the flashlight. Especially if it is LED driven.

Find me a single incident of a pilot being blown up by looking inside the tank using a flash light. I'd sure like to read it.

It's quite easy to ensure you're not full of static and to discharge yourself safely. The flashlight itself carries pretty much no increased risk.

Find me a single incident of a pilot being blown up by looking inside the tank using a flash light. I'd sure like to read it.

Looking into the tank WITH the flashlight carries no significant risk over looking without the flashlight. Especially if it is LED driven.

Yes, mine was an LED.

Shh... we haven't changed the carpet yet after the last body...

I'm going to have to stop helping you bury those if you're going to tell people to go look in your trunk.

:)

POA response: :rofl::rofl:I was telling him to look in HIS trunk, not mine!
FBI response: I don't know this man. I have no association with him. Never met him before in my life. He's certainly never been near my car, which certainly isn't the blue Mazda in the parking lot!

No way I could do that. Totally anal. Ok...no jokes.

Anyway, on your good suggestion I got it out with the "Magic Fingers" tool you recommended.

If I haven't said it already, "YOUR A FLIPPING' GENIUS!!!". :thumbs up:

Kobra
:D Glad it worked! Where'd you find your bilge fingers?

I'd probably just drop my flashlight in the tank, knowing my luck. Use a big flashlight. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_the_House_That_Jack_Built

Oh, and when you grab it, you will want to be sure to use something that is non-sparking. Buy three, you might drop one.

$(KGrHqEOKpwE25TshUD3BN6l+Lq9Qg~~_3.JPG

You know I always Figgured that if my flashlight was waterproof it probably also will seal out quite a bit of fumes

I wonder what's smaller: fuel vapors or liquid H2O
:stirpot:

Last edited:
I'm sure someone who did better than I in 10th grade chemistry will pick that nit.

Pressure is irrelevant. Sit aunt Edna on the flashlight and her butt still won't seep through the gaps in the seals.

When this happened to me, I came back with my grabber after dark. It made it really easy to see inside using a flashlight.

As for the issue of an electrical arc when turning on the flashlight, since it's normally dark when I use it, I probably turn it on before removing the filler cap. Maybe that's why I haven't blown myself up yet.

Back