Yep...I knew I'd do this eventually...

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
Fellow Pilots, Owners and Operators,

I knew this day would come...it was just a matter of time. And I won't except anyone trying to imply that I am the only one in the universe who has done this! I was standing on my aero-latter checking my fuel quantity with my Universal Fuel Hawk. Yep...you guessed it, it slipped out of my hands and fell at the perfect angle to slip right into the tank! :yikes:

Any suggestions on trying to get it out? :confused: Should I worry in the mean time that it might restrict or clog fuel flow?

I can't say I've even tried to get it out, as this just happened and I came home to get some tools or to fashion somthing to snag it.

It fell at just the right/wrong angle so that it is not directly under the fuel opening which makes things much more difficult! :mad2:

Kobra

If you can't see it try to fish it over to the opening. If you can't get it out.. leave it.

Leave it, it can't block fuel flow.

If memory serves from the last time someone had a thread about this, the solution involves having boobs and bouncing on the wing. Absent that, maybe find some bilge fingers (or whatever they're called).

airbox_tool.jpg

Or just ignore it, as everyone else has said.

Leave it, it can't block fuel flow.
There should be a screen to prevent it from restricting the fuel flow, but it will annoy you as long as it is in there. I would just fly until you burn out as much fuel as you can and then see if you can see it. You may need to drain a few more gallons but it will be easier to fish out of an empty tank.

If memory serves from the last time someone had a thread about this, the solution involves having boobs and bouncing on the wing. Absent that, maybe find some bilge fingers (or whatever they're called).

airbox_tool.jpg

You are a flipping' genius!!! I also hate you for making me look stupid for not thinking of this tool first. I actually have one...now I just have to remember where I put it. I don't suppose you have that answer too? :blush:

Kobra

Fellow Pilots, Owners and Operators,

I knew this day would come...it was just a matter of time. And I won't except anyone trying to imply that I am the only one in the universe who has done this! I was standing on my aero-latter checking my fuel quantity with my Universal Fuel Hawk. Yep...you guessed it, it slipped out of my hands and fell at the perfect angle to slip right into the tank! :yikes:

Any suggestions on trying to get it out? :confused: Should I worry in the mean time that it might restrict or clog fuel flow?

I can't say I've even tried to get it out, as this just happened and I came home to get some tools or to fashion somthing to snag it.

It fell at just the right/wrong angle so that it is not directly under the fuel opening which makes things much more difficult! :mad2:

Kobra

Autoparts store, buy a 4 finger flex grabber, keep it in your flight gear.:D

airbox_tool.jpg

You are a flipping' genius!!! I also hate you for making me look stupid for not thinking of this tool first. I actually have one...now I just have to remember where I put it. I don't suppose you have that answer too? :blush:

Kobra
You'll have to fly the tank empty, then shine a light in there to see it, then there is a good possibility of a big boom.

leave it alone. two screw up's don't make it right.

You'll have to fly the tank empty, then shine a light in there to see it, then there is a good possibility of a big boom.
What is going to cause this big boom? If you did completely empty it..just let it air out and try not to drop fireworks into it and you'll be fine.

It would drive me absolutely crazy until I removed it.

I've pulled out more than I can count from the flight schools plane. Typically I walk out and look in just using sunlight, normally it's right there and retrieved in seconds. If not I push up on the wing to roll it down extending my effort to a full minute and a half.

My fuel tank tube has a long stick attached to it to prevent it from slipping into the tank at that perfect angle.

I have one of these attached to mine via an adel and a wire. Also keeps me from losing it and keeps it from slipping to far down in my storage pockets.

go on ebay and search for dipstik, he'll sell you one.

21j9vZGpyBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

What is going to cause this big boom? If you did completely empty it..just let it air out and try not to drop fireworks into it and you'll be fine.

It shouldn't be an issue, but at what point are you willing to guarantee a non-explosive air/fuel vapor mixture?

rusty's solution looks like the best for the future. i was going to say tie a large nut to it so it could be retrieved with a magnet

Why don't you guys drill two holes in the top of the thing and slide an 8 inch pole / dowel through the two holes? Super glue in place and it'll never go in the tank again.

I dropped mine in when I was far away from the home base, so I used a hook that I fashioned from a piece of electrical wire that local FBO hand lent me. Using a tool should easier though. Naturally I did not drain the tank, and what for?

Kobra
:rofl: I love those things. I find pretty much any excuse I can to use them. Have you checked your tool box? Or your trunk? That's where most things in my life end up.

:rofl: I love those things. I find pretty much any excuse I can to use them. Have you checked your tool box? Or your trunk? That's where most things in my life end up.

Shh... we haven't changed the carpet yet after the last body...

I'm going to have to stop helping you bury those if you're going to tell people to go look in your trunk.

:)

Definitely not the first one. I know a student at my local airport who did the same thing recently, they just used some mechanical fingers to fish it out. Now that same fuel stick is run through an old tennis ball.

It would drive me absolutely crazy until I removed it.
When you use any electrical device around any empty fuel tank you best adhere to all the safety precautions because There have been more folks killed by an empty tank, than a full one.

You actually must purge one to get the fumes out.

Last edited:

Huh? I don't think he'll be using a Bic. At least I hope not.

How is inserting a "four fingered grabber" into your tank to remove a piece of plastic any more dangerous than inserting a metal nozzle with explosive fuel streaming out of it?

Huh? I don't think he'll be using a Bic. At least i hope not.

How is inserting a "fore fingered grabber" into your tank to remove a piece of plastic any more dangerous than inserting a metal nozzle with explosive fuel streaming out of it?

Have you ever tried? you can't see anything in the tank with out some light.

This isn't your home fish tank.

When you use any electrical device around any empty fuel tank you best adhere to all the safety precautions because There have been more folks killed by an empty tank, than a full one.

Exactly right. The air/fuel mixture in a fuel tank is normally far too rich for combustion, but an empty tank leans out enough for an explosion. The guys who weld these things have them steam-cleaned first. The seams in them can harbor just enough fuel to maintain a dangerous vapor inside otherwise.

The fuel filler opening is also a dangerous place when the cap is off, where outside air mixes with the rich fumes from inside and creates an explosive mix.

Dan

Exactly right. The air/fuel mixture in a fuel tank is normally far too rich for combustion, but an empty tank leans out enough for an explosion. The guys who weld these things have them steam-cleaned first. The seams in them can harbor just enough fuel to maintain a dangerous vapor inside otherwise.

The fuel filler opening is also a dangerous place when the cap is off, where outside air mixes with the rich fumes from inside and creates an explosive mix.

Dan

Yep, we used to weld fuel tanks with fuel in them by lighting off the filler neck and putting a MIG to it. First time I saw it done was a bit unnerving but you get used to it.

I had it happen to me and I was lucky in that the tank was near empty so it was relatively easy to get out. I just took a wire coat hanger and bent a 90 degree 1/2 inch hook in the end and put that into the opening of the dipstick and lifted. Would not have been fun if the tank were full. I've seen many people suggest the 4 finger gripper but I'm wondering about damage to a rubber bladder with that.

I had it happen to me and I was lucky in that the tank was near empty so it was relatively easy to get out. I just took a wire coat hanger and bent a 90 degree 1/2 inch hook in the end and put that into the opening of the dipstick and lifted. Would not have been fun if the tank were full. I've seen many people suggest the 4 finger gripper but I'm wondering about damage to a rubber bladder with that.

When I changed the bladders in my Travelair I found an 18" long Craftsman screwdriver that according to the log had probably been there over 20 years.

Tell me what harm it can do rattling around in here ?

Attachments

• 10060015.jpg
    10060015.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 74

Given adequate time the fumes will be out. Personally I wouldn't bother to drain the tank -- and I most certainly wouldn't be afraid of removing the dipstick from the tank full or empty. It just takes some reasonable precaution and common sense.

As to the flash light...pilots day in and day out look in tanks with flash lights. More pilots are killed because of their eating habits then their flashlights.

You'd really have to try and blow yourself up. Basically you'd need to bust through the lens and bust the bulb with the right fuel/air ratio (good luck trying to figure out a way to do that). If you were using a LED flashlight (like I do) I'm not sure you could manage to ignite gasoline vapors even at the ideal mixture unless you built a way to do it. The LED sure the hell wouldn't.

airbox_tool.jpg

No way I could do that. Totally anal. Ok...no jokes.

Anyway, on your good suggestion I got it out with the "Magic Fingers" tool you recommended.

If I haven't said it already, "YOUR A FLIPPING' GENIUS!!!". :thumbs up:

Kobra

Those little swivel mirrors on a stick and a well aimed flashlight work wonders.

A flashlight, mirror and grabber tool in a tank of fuel isn't on my long list of things to check when considering risk.. There's fine line between being safe and being absurd.

Last edited:
You know I always Figgured that if my flashlight was waterproof it probably also will seal out quite a bit of fumes

You know I always Figgured that if my flashlight was waterproof it probably also will seal out quite a bit of fumes
Even if it didn't -- it's still not going to ignite gasoline fumes unless you were to bust the bulb itself in a way that would cause the fumes at the right fuel/air ratio to contact the element before it cools. Not that easy to do.

Even if it didn't -- it's still not going to ignite gasoline fumes unless you were to bust the bulb itself in a way that would cause the fumes at the right fuel/air ratio to contact the element before it cools. Not that easy to do.

I take it you've attempted to start a fuel injected lycomings hot then huh?:lol:

I take it you've attempted to start a fuel injected lycomings hot then huh?:lol:

Not as difficult as I've read...and I've purposely screwed up the procedure just to find out ways to screw it up.

Dan

You still need an ignition source. A flashlight???? I'm thinking OWT.

Maybe we should get Mythbusters to do a segment on what flashlight will cause an explosion of 100LL by looking in the tank? They already did a cellphone in gasoline vapors...that was was busted too.

I'd probably just drop my flashlight in the tank, knowing my luck. Use a big flashlight. :)

You still need an ignition source.

Which can be almost anything from static in your shirt, to spontaneous combustion, to the differential electrical potential between you, your light, and the tank.

Which can be almost anything from static in your shirt, to spontaneous combustion, to the differential electrical potential between you, your light, and the tank.

Look up the Vans RV-10 accident in Georgia May 7, 2010. Flash fire of gasoline vapor.

airbox_tool.jpg

And after hours of effort I had to give it to the mechanic to figure out. He probably used a tool like that though.

Back