Yellow Tagging Parts for Resale

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
I have a first run O-200A that I have disassembled to sell the parts. I plan on taking everything to Aircraft Specialties for IRAN on the parts I can sell. When done, I want to sell the components for as much as I can without overcharging anyone.

Am I better off letting them inspect and advise, or just tell them IRAN?

Which parts are best yellow tagged and sold and which parts are best just to sell as is? The parts I know I will take are:

o. Crankshaft
o. Case
o. Cam

Should I also take:

o. Rods
o. Lifters
o. Accessory case
o. Anything else?

Also, it seems like someone said tat they might make an offer for the cores.

Any coaching on all this by those who are familiar with the process will be greatly appreciated.

I want to sell the components for as much as I can without overcharging anyone
FYI: any work you have performed on the parts will cut into your profit. One option, especially if complete with history, would be to list the entire engine, as is, for sale. Call around to the salvage places like wentworth and see what they're listing complete engines for then set your price. If it doesn't sell then perhaps give Aircraft Specialties a call?

Parting out any assembly usually has the good parts sell then your left with a box of stuff you'll have to pay someone to get rid of.

If you’re going to break the engine up I’d suggest selling the parts as-is with a guarantee that they will pass an inspection/rework by a reputable shop. Generally speaking, I do not consider a tagged part more valuable than one sold as-is when I’m buying something.

Aircraft specialty buys parts. check..
I'd sell the complete engine, lot less hassle.

Parting it out can take years; selling the entire engine - paypal and done.

Parting it out means all those photos, ads, packaging, labeling, handling multiple complaints/returns/disputes/non-payments vs one.

If all the parts check good and don’t require much refurbishment then you could make money by having everything overhauled. The flip side is if you ship an engine case and it requires work or is junk then you’ve just lost most of your profit. A used core is worth about $3,500.00. I sent all my components to G&N aircraft. The only thing that needed extra work was the cam needing a regrind. I think it cost me about $3,700.00 for all the work plus about $500.00 in shipping and another $500 or so for new oil pump gears which they needed to check the accessory case clearances. I sent them case, crank, cam, lifters, rods, rockers, gears, and accessory case.

Which parts are best yellow tagged and sold and which parts are best just to sell as is? The parts I know I will take are:

o. Crankshaft
o. Case
o. Cam

Should I also take:

o. Rods
o. Lifters
o. Accessory case
o. Anything else?

Also, it seems like someone said tat they might make an offer for the cores.

Any coaching on all this by those who are familiar with the process will be greatly appreciated.

If you keep all of those parts, what's left that's of value? The cylinders won't bring much.

Back