YAWASIGT - Yet Another What Aircraft Should I Get Thread

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
Creative suggestions appreciated. I could almost sum up my requirement as a fixed gear experimental turbo Mooney. A velocity would cover it except for the retracts and runway issues.

1. SEL
2. Experimental
3. Minimum 2 seats
4. Fast (negotiable but is a high priority)
5. Reasonably economical (IE: No 400+ HP or turbine kind of insanity)
6. Baggage space for 2 normal sized suitcases
7. Good performance in high DA (turbo ok)
8. Fixed tricycle gear
9. Can handle 2000 foot paved runways without feats of bravery (grass of same length is a nice plus)
10. Useful load min 700 lbs

Last edited:

Never even heard of that one, and they are in my back yard. Don't see any for sale.
Found one https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1793193-RAI-Tango-2-Place-Fixed-Gear.html, I think. Model name isn't quite right.

Sportsman isn't fast. But a Glasair Super II-S FT (something close to that name), might work.

Otherwise, RV-7A, -9A, -14A. A Wheeler Express would do it if you could find one and insure it.

Bonanza. Experimental with a delta hawk engine.

RV-14A would be my vote.
Agreed. An RV-8A would be a good contender if tandem seating was ok, and 4 and 5 were more important than 6, and you could get by with small overnight bags.

Creative suggestions appreciated. I could almost sum up my requirement as a fixed gear experimental turbo Mooney. A velocity would cover it except for the retracts and runway issues.

1. SEL
2. Experimental
3. Minimum 2 seats
4. Fast (negotiable but is a high priority)
5. Reasonably economical (IE: No 400+ HP or turbine kind of insanity)
6. Baggage space for 2 normal sized suitcases
7. Good performance in high DA (turbo ok)
8. Fixed tricycle gear
9. Can handle 2000 foot paved runways without feats of bravery (grass of same length is a nice plus)
10. Useful load min 700 lbs
PFM Mooney? Those have to be experimental at this point.

How much money do you want to spend?

Is the lance too comfy for you? ;)

Not too many of those flying, though they sell kits. They were at EAA last year.

There was a fixed-gear Glasair on barnstormers (may still be there), but without c/s prop, probably won’t do so well on grass strips (it may not do well with c/s prop).

I don’t think any exist. Didn’t Porsche buy all the engines back?
Surrendered the TC. I was thinking VARMA might be a path forward but the M20L is too young.

How fast do you wanna go? RV-10 is good for 165 knots or more at <12GPH.
Faster than that at the cost of a -10. that Would be ok if it were cheaper

Get a tailwheel rating, an RV-8, and learn to pack light.

Except for cost and fixed gear, Darkaero 1 would fit the bill.

RV-7/9 if you want side by side seating, 8 if you don’t. 7A/8A/9A if you want a nose dragger.

The 7 and 8 models should have an O-360, in the 170 kt range. I think the O-320 is the largest for the 9, 150 kts.

RV-6 or 7. (plenty of them around) maybe a Sling Tsi if you want to build. A friend of mine is building a Sling Tsi and it seems like a very straight forward kit. Once i retire, I'm definitely going o look into the Sling Tsi High wing.

F1 Rocket, you will however need a tailwheel endorsement. 210 knot cruise in a fast one!

Attachments

• 16BBCCC9-4352-415D-9354-19CF7A123EEA.jpeg
    16BBCCC9-4352-415D-9354-19CF7A123EEA.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 5
IMG_5080.jpeg
Radial Rocket should meet your “needs”

yeah I was gonna suggest RV, but you're competition, so stay away from them, especially the trikes. They flip and are death traps, stay away! :D

Back